Mariana Downing is Miss DR representative to Miss Universe

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Two days of reading comments from local Dominicans on social media, this appears to be the consensus:
*Many have no issue with her nationality, birth place, country of residence and lack of Spanish. They have given her their blessings.
*Many are not in agreement that she is an adequate representative of the DR because she was born in the US and lives in the US.
*Many are not in agreement that she is an adequate representative due to her lack of local tounge.
*Many feel she has very little local and cultural knowledge.
*Many feel that she does not adequately reflect the Dominican culture for the above talking points.

A point of comparison: Alex Rodriguez was born in the US, but speaks fluent Spanish and English. His both parents are Dominican. He has worked extensively with various operations and charities, as well as the development of baseball in the DR itself. Alex Rodriguez could be said to adequately represent the Dominican people and culture.

My personal opinion is that, although beautiful and talented, Mariana would have better represented the US.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
One thing to keep in the back of your mind - The Miss Universe contest is a business and exists to generate income for its owners.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Dual citizenship is usually not an issue in sport at international level. Did people complain when Felix Sanchez won gold twice in the Olympics? He's American Dominican born in NY decided to compete for the DR.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Dual citizenship is usually not an issue in sport at international level. Did people complain when Felix Sanchez won gold twice in the Olympics? He's American Dominican born in NY decided to compete for the DR.
I don't think dual citizenship is the issue here if you read the comments by Dominicans on social media.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I'm kinda surprised these pagents are still a thing. I never really got the point of them, even before feminism. I did however enjoy the swimsuit competition but that's just my male pig side showing.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
After she's declared Miss Universe 2023, many of her detractors will rejoice:

"E' que esa e' de la nue'tra; esa e' de aquí".
"Esa e' la mujeL má' bella de la bolita 'el mundo y el potecito lleno 'e sangre".
"El año pasa'o no la robaron, pero e'te año ganamo', coño, carajo".
"Señore', qué paisito no' ga'tamo: tenemo' reina' de belleza por pi-pá".
"Tenemo' pila de mujere' bella".

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Her qualifications for being a candidate in the Miss Dominican Republic pageant?
Having been not only a professional model but, also a one time girlfriend of Marc Anthony?
Geez.
Flimsy... to say the least.
I mean what ARE the qualifications to compete in the contest?
She sounds like a bit of a ringer, if you ask me.
If I were a true blue Dominican Miss that got my ass beat by her...I'd be a little p.o.'d if you want to know the truth.
That's just my opinion from the outside looking in.

Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
SMH, I really do not get all the fuss. This pageant has rules/regulations, clearly it was no problem when she entered the contest. She wins and everyone is upset. Go figure.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Her qualifications for being a candidate in the Miss Dominican Republic pageant?
Having been not only a professional model but, also a one time girlfriend of Marc Anthony?
Geez.
Flimsy... to say the least.
I mean what ARE the qualifications to compete in the contest?
She sounds like a bit of a ringer, if you ask me.
If I were a true blue Dominican Miss that got my ass beat by her...I'd be a little p.o.'d if you want to know the truth.
That's just my opinion from the outside looking in.
Never before have we agreed 😍

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016

Miss RD Universo Mariana Downing uses a Nacho book to learn Spanish​

She promised that in two months her Spanish will be "perfect"
Santo Domingo - Sep. 05, 2023

The winner of the 67th version of Miss RD Universe, Mariana Downing , promised that she would learn to speak Spanish fluently and she is already studying to achieve her goal.
In a video posted on Instagram, the miss is observed studying with a Nacho book and a pencil in her mouth to have a perfect pronunciation.
It is recalled that her selection was not without controversy, since the young woman does not have command of the Spanish language, something that some criticized after the contest.
The representative of Sánchez Ramírez went viral on social networks after assuring that in two months she will speak perfect Spanish.
"I am speaking in Spanish, in two months my Spanish will be perfect. I am fluent in English, it is not my fault that I was born in the United States," she said in the video published by followers of the beauty contest, who met Downing in a restaurant in the capital.
In the video, one of those present is seen asking her: "What are you?", to which she proudly and smilingly answers: "Dominican".

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I'm a little confused now. I just saw a video of a news conference with her and she was answering questions in Spanish. Apparently, she knows enough to do interviews.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
From the article above....
----------------------------------

Many Dominicans believe she does not represent the country due to her inability to speak Spanish. In contrast, others believe it is a plus since the Miss Universe is broadcast in English.
-------------------------------------------

A non-English speaking participant might not connect with judges too well

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Why does she need to explain herself to anyone...again there are rules and regulations to participate in these pageants. Clearly, she was allowed to participate. Just like AE, my son was born in the USA, holds dual citizenship and most definitely recognizes his Dominican heritage as he has the right to. Honestly, I do not get all the fuss about this.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I suspect in a day or two this will be old news.
As you correctly pointed out in a prior post, the Miss Universe franchise is a big business with the only end goal of generating income and hopefully a profit. That aside there clearly two main camps of local Dominicans voicing their opinions on the issue. Shutting down or dismissing opinions is dangerous. Im certain the show will go on regardless.