Marrying a Domincan and relocating to DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModernDayIsis

Sep 19, 2013
he might have his own business, but is he making any money? you have not disclosed what this business is, so we have no gauge of his financial situation. that is critical in a relationship here. more so than in other places i have lived.

Yes, he makes enough money to take care of himself and his responsibilities, and so do I. That is fine with me.

ModernDayIsis

Sep 19, 2013
I see your point, but would say that applies to most folks in most countries.

Try living with most women in the US for 4 years without putting a ring on their finger, and see how it goes.

And I've been with women with high and low financial expectations, but they ALL had expectations. That's just the way it is. Why someone would chase after a poor person in a third world country, and be SHOCKED that there's some interest in financial security is a bit surprising, to say the least.

Amen to this!!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I don't expect everyone to understand, its ok. LOL Luckily, I wasn't really here asking for relationship advice, I wanted to know about fiance visas! LOL

There is no such thing as a fiancee visa to DR. You just go there and become his fiancee. Your tourist card is good for 30 days, and you can file for temporary, then permanent, residency. If you marry him, you can file for naturalization as a Dominican citizen after 6 months of marriage, bypassing all the residency 'stuff'.

No one here is going to tell you marrying a Dominican is a great idea, despite the fact that MANY of the posters here are married to them. There are good ones [I've been married to one for just about 37 years], but we all know so many of the "other" kind that we keep our mouths shut.

Sounds like you're going into this with your eyes wide open - great first step.

ModernDayIsis

Sep 19, 2013
I have lots of experience. Listen up! You are from a first, world, rich country. They are from a poor country. They are from a culture full of dishonest people and it is ok in their mind to lie or cheat or pretend or fake to be in love for monetary benefits or any other type of benefit. I can speak from many relationships. THEY WANT SOMETHING FROM YOU. Eventually, they may ask for a visa, green card, help for a family member, job, money, high end jewelry and an SUV. There is a 99.9% chance that they will want something. You better feel them out really good. Take years to see what is going on. I am almost 100 percent sure that in weeks, months, years or more, they will try to hitch a free ride off of you or some type of monetary benefit. I am not saying to not marry them (Dominicans are often good looking and awesome people and very laid back and cool and fun to be around). I am just saying to hold onto all of your money and visa help and everything and just sit back and wait for them to ask for something. Do not trust them, just wait for them to try something to see how it really is. When they ask, fake like you are really stupid and have no idea what they are doing. Do not give them anything. See what happens if they get mad or change suddenly. Maybe even toy with them and tell them after the marriage and see what happens. Wait for their finances to coincidentally collapse or something like that mysteriously and you are the only person who can help coincidentally. Wait for a day to come when you say I love you and they hit you for some cash like an ATM. Just don't get your head taken off and be careful. You are putting yourself out there for this person and personally, I would have too much experience to be in your shoes thinking of marrying them instead of feeling them out for 3+ years. Be the person who stinks financially who cant give a visa or money or anything and see what happens. If they want or need your cash and visas and thing then you know the real deal and how it really is and the true colors.

It's funny when people say, you are from a rich country. That might be true but I'm not rich and never have been. So if you think for one moment I'm not familiar with the vultures that circle around poor people you are mistaken. I grew up around them, all day everyday. Violence, poverty, all of it. So none of that frightens me.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
It's funny when people say, you are from a rich country. That might be true but I'm not rich and never have been. So if you think for one moment I'm not familiar with the vultures that circle around poor people you are mistaken. I grew up around them, all day everyday. Violence, poverty, all of it. So none of that frightens me.

And yet, I don't think there is a financially stable dominican without a US visa. Any dominican without a US visa is because:

- He doesn't have the paperwork to prove he has ties to DR (a business or a job, a decent car, etc) and he is not going to stay illegally
- He's been rejected before (usually several times).
- He had it but was cancelled.

None of these causes seem compatible with anyone who has owned a successful business for 10 years.
The typical "I could have it, but I've never applied because I don't care" is BS.

ModernDayIsis

Sep 19, 2013
There is no such thing as a fiancee visa to DR. You just go there and become his fiancee. Your tourist card is good for 30 days, and you can file for temporary, then permanent, residency. If you marry him, you can file for naturalization as a Dominican citizen after 6 months of marriage, bypassing all the residency 'stuff'.

No one here is going to tell you marrying a Dominican is a great idea, despite the fact that MANY of the posters here are married to them. There are good ones [I've been married to one for just about 37 years], but we all know so many of the "other" kind that we keep our mouths shut.

Sounds like you're going into this with your eyes wide open - great first step.

Thank you for being real about this! As much as I appreciate the benefit of others experiences, I don't believe in judging an entire race or culture based on prevailing perceptions. I am Black, it happens to me far too often to inflict that on anyone else. I respect people enough to let them show me who they are (not tell me).

ModernDayIsis

Sep 19, 2013
And yet, I don't think there is a financially stable dominican without a US visa. Any dominican without a US visa is because:

- He doesn't have the paperwork to prove he has ties to DR (a business or a job, a decent car, etc) and he is not going to stay illegally
- He's been rejected before (usually several times).
- He had it but was cancelled.

None of these causes seem compatible with anyone who has owned a successful business for 10 years.
The typical "I could have it, but I've never applied because I don't care" is BS.

Let em be clearer, when I say successful I mean he is able to support himself and his son financially. He is not rich, I am not rich. I do not know the reason he doesn't have a US visa, perhaps it's because he has no reason to come to the US right now. In any case, I am moving to DR (had already decided that before I met him) so why he doesn't have a US visa really wasn't a topic of conversation.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Let em be clearer, when I say successful I mean he is able to support himself and his son financially. He is not rich, I am not rich. I do not know the reason he doesn't have a US visa, perhaps it's because he has no reason to come to the US right now. In any case, I am moving to DR (had already decided that before I met him) so why he doesn't have a US visa really wasn't a topic of conversation.

A moto concho driver supports himself and his son.
I love to gamble, 8-10 months and the tears will flow. Bet ?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Guys please, don't be mean to OP.

We're not here to judge or predict, but to be useful. I think posting from experience is useful as long as we accept that there is a chance that not everyone is the same. We don't know OP or her fiancee.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Well said Castle. She won t know until she tries, she had plans to relocate anyway.
I would say relocate and take your time to get married.

Good luck !

ModernDayIsis

Sep 19, 2013
A moto concho driver supports himself and his son.
I love to gamble, 8-10 months and the tears will flow. Bet ?

Have you ever heard the phrase, misery loves company? LOL Listen, I appreciate you responding to my question, albeit a useless response, but I would appreciate even more if you would keep your negativity over there with you where it belongs. A man who takes care of himself and his child with an honest days work does not deserve ridicule, regardless to what kind of job he has. And as for the 8-10 months, you would be a fool to make that bet with me honey. I don't lose often, but even when I do lose a battle, I find a way to win the war.

ModernDayIsis

Sep 19, 2013

We're not here to judge or predict, but to be useful. I think posting from experience is useful as long as we accept that there is a chance that not everyone is the same. We don't know OP or her fiancee.

That was exactly what I was thinking, at what point does this start to sound racist, classist, prejudiced, stereotypical etc...... I'm all for being realistic, but not at the expense of common decency and respecting other cultures and people as individuals.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You better be drop dead gorgeous as well :)

Just kidding, good luck !

actually, there in much more than just kidding in that remark. you make a mountain of sense. i have no idea what the OP looks like but if, and this is a big IF, you look like some of these women from places like Idaho that i see roaming the beaches on the North Coast. you better have a high level of tolerance for infidelity.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

sometimes judging and predicting can be useful...

Status
Not open for further replies.