Marrying a Domincan and relocating to DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModernDayIsis

Sep 19, 2013
Please accept my apologies Ms ModernDay. I did not know you were an authority on cultural,ethical, diversity and relationship issues. Its clear now.You will be totally fine in Santo Domingo

I am certainly not an expert, I am a person who has had some experience with those things. Big difference.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Hey Gorgon, Adumbrated...Thanks for that. I think this is the first time I used a english dictionary on DR!. Adumbrated. :)

Mauricio, you are just like a particular buddy i have here on this site who has a wife from an upper class family, and i am sure that the issues that we have adumbrated do not come into play. money is not an issue, so she could not be playing him to get some. secondly, because money is not an issue, she is not from a social ecosystem in which multiple partners makes for economic advantage. when you start getting to the echelon that works hard to support a kid, and who is 'not rich", the dynamics change. a guy who lives on a modest fixed income in the DR, such as a retirement pension, will not be able to satisfy the average woman, financially. when she wants the Blaberry, or the Galasi, and her man just cannot stretch the finances that far that month, some cabana action is going to take place. i stand by that.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
a guy who lives on a modest fixed income in the DR, such as a retirement pension, will not be able to satisfy the average woman, financially. when she wants the Blaberry, or the Galasi, and her man just cannot stretch the finances that far that month, some cabana action is going to take place. i stand by that.

So Gorgon, What do you consider to be a modest fixed income? It seems to me like US standard social security with a supplemental employment based pension would be barely enough to get by. I assume thats what most of the expats have, but then I read about folks who can't cough up 2000 to get divorced. Recently I have been reading about the Borrowed Bed Saga and am horrified to think i could ever find myself in such circumstances. Makes me just wanna buy a better winter coat! seems like you gotta have BANK to live in dr.

btw, not trying to hijack the thread. more or less whats modest? 2000, 3000?

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Hi Isis. I see you're new around these parts. So am I. If you stick around you will find out how much the DR has rubbed off on these forum members. You probably already know that DR just simply is not politically correct. For example, descriptors of physical attributes as a means of identifying someone in a crowd here are not insults. In the US you would get your head cut off for saying "the fat girl over there in the red pants". Here it is to distinguish her from the slender girl in the blue pants. That's it. maybe it is just internet bravado, but i think it represents an influence of intercultural contact.

I am sure you are also aware of the unique system of self identification in the DR. I am interested to learn how you may encounter DR and how much your Gringa privilege will affect your view of the US's unique system of self identification.

Anyway, good luck. I am a romantic by nature and I don't think you should be dissuaded by the very sound and authentic advice you have received here.

I will be in Santo Domingo. I don't doubt for a second that there is some solid advice here, my only issue is with what ELSE I see. A lot of jaded people who rather than offer fair and unbiased advice, lump and entire race/culture of people together as though everyone were exactly the same. That, I am definitely resistant to. I'm a Black woman, I know all about being lumped in with a bunch of folks who don't represent you. But if you notice my responses, I have been I have been receptive to those who present their information in a tactful, honest way. I;m not wearing rose colored glasses about this, I knew the situation going in to it. I came here for advice on Visas and ended up with a bunch of psuedo-sociological advice. I welcome anyone who wants to share their experience with me, but please recognize the differences between the two.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
So Gorgon, What do you consider to be a modest fixed income? It seems to me like US standard social security with a supplemental employment based pension would be barely enough to get by. I assume thats what most of the expats have, but then I read about folks who can't cough up 2000 to get divorced. Recently I have been reading about the Borrowed Bed Saga and am horrified to think i could ever find myself in such circumstances. Makes me just wanna buy a better winter coat! seems like you gotta have BANK to live in dr.

btw, not trying to hijack the thread. more or less whats modest? 2000, 3000?

i would say modest would be around 1500 per month. a guy can live half decent on that, but he cannot afford to lavish trinkets upon ladies of easy virtue.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Marrying a dominican person is like buying a timeshare on a vacation. It is a powerful drug.
At the time you are sure that it will make your life better.. If you resist the temptation and go back several times and step out of the hotel you realize that there are other options and can make a better informed choice. You will probably learn that its
easier to get out of a rental than a timeshare. Certainly cheaper. You can always buy the timeshare later but not as many do after 5 or 6 years.

yerison

Sep 22, 2013
here inDr because after 5 years living with a woman no matter if you are married or not
she is entitle to half of everything you own so I dont belive your wife stole anything from you,
and be sure the new one girlfriend she will get the same after 5 years living with her

yerison

Sep 22, 2013
maybe was that you want to left her nothing
you look so spicel to her
you must still love her

Hurts ahh

yerison

Sep 22, 2013
That there is a tough one...Keep in mind, here in the DR the so called saying is, there are 8 woman for every man here...From my experience, I was used & abused by a Dom Woman and stole everything I had..The Dom men seem to be on the prowl at all times, so you only need to be sure that you can trust him like any other relationship. And since he owns his own business, all woman here may see $$$ and of course attempt to make him their man...I too have started a new relationship recently, 6 Months now and have been very cautious only because of what happen to me already..But hey! we can't punish others for what another person has done to us, but the odds unfortunately are against us because we are Americans...Most think we are rich, that's the mindset here

If he truly loves you and can resist all temptation etc, then you should be fine..I would have a sit down and discuss what is truly in his heart before things lead into that common law (living together) and you could lose everything when the times comes...See, here in the DR, if you want to leave, you can take anything you want from the household without the other even knowing about and there is nothing you can do..Thats what happened to me, She took everything I had! So, just fair warning, you're not or won't be in the USA anymore, things are much different here..If you have money, maybe consider a prenup?

Just something you should think about...Protect yourself at all time..LOL ;)

Anthony

dont talk so loud

ModernDayIsis

Sep 19, 2013
LMAO @ Gringa privilege.... That's funny, I don't think anyone has ever referred to me as "privileged" before.

Hi Isis. I see you're new around these parts. So am I. If you stick around you will find out how much the DR has rubbed off on these forum members. You probably already know that DR just simply is not politically correct. For example, descriptors of physical attributes as a means of identifying someone in a crowd here are not insults. In the US you would get your head cut off for saying "the fat girl over there in the red pants". Here it is to distinguish her from the slender girl in the blue pants. That's it. maybe it is just internet bravado, but i think it represents an influence of intercultural contact.

I am sure you are also aware of the unique system of self identification in the DR. I am interested to learn how you may encounter DR and how much your Gringa privilege will affect your view of the US's unique system of self identification.

Anyway, good luck. I am a romantic by nature and I don't think you should be dissuaded by the very sound and authentic advice you have received here.

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
Is the OP moving to his modest house ? Or are you guys planning on renting something bigger/better if i may ask ?

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Go ahead, don't be afraid...In this life every single new project is the same like to play a lotery ticket! my wife married a poor Dominican Taxi driver that was struggling after a divorse and a lot of time and money wasted in colmados prangs, now she is doing very good as she doesn't have the stress that most American woman has... I'm the provider of the house, some time she makes good money doing as a realtor but if not... Not problem the money I make is good to pay all the bills and the expenses of the house.:cheeky:

Hmm???

JJ

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Any person considering a life with a Dominican should thoroughly test that Dominican. The test should be tempting, someone better looking and apparently richer than you are. If he passes two of these tests, then you have a chance. Don’t be cheap, make them real tests, with a hot gringa, rent one if you have to. It could be a good part time job for DV8.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
One thought is come as a tourist for a while and Just pay overstay fees , not much really ....in the scheme of things ......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.