Dajabón River Reroute

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
This is not good, a news story within the last 48 hours is about Haiti building a canal to reroute the flow of the Masacre River, Dajabón River, in the NW towards one of their communities. The river serves to define the border between the DR and Haiti in that area. There is nothing so volatile in the world as disputes over water, especially now with global warming. It is clear things are normally tense between Haiti and the DR without this reroute matter. The reroute can only amplify bad feelings into violence. To illustrate this there is talk of war between Egypt and Ethiopia over the latter damming the Nile. It exposes the seriousness of these situations.

Anyone living in the NW or travels to the NW regularly is welcome to comment.

Regards,

PJT

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The border line in that section coincides with the river, but it will remain where it is even if the river dries up or is diverted. The pyramids mark where one country ends and the other begins. Most of the border is on dry land and neither government has any issues locating where it lies on the ground.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The border line in that section coincides with the river, but it will remain where it is even if the river dries up or is diverted. The pyramids mark where one country ends and the other begins. Most of the border is on dry land and neither government has any issues locating where it lies on the ground.
Don't think the issue is about the border. It is about water rights. If the Haitians siphon water in quantities that lowers the measures needed by Dominicans for agriculture and commerce there will be fireworks.

Regards,

PJT

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Don't think the issue is about the border. It is about water rights. If the Haitians siphon water in quantities that lowers the measures needed by Dominicans for agriculture and commerce there will be fireworks.

Regards,

PJT
I think water for irrigation and drinking/other uses is taken from artificial lakes created by dams. I don't think the Dajabón River has a dam anywhere.

These are the major dams in the DR and the closest one to Dajabón is Chacuey Dam and doesn't dams the Dajabón River.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drperson

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
From being to Dajabon and recently, have you ever looked at the water...green in color, full of garbage....anyway I think people should be more concerned at the amount of Haitians on the wrong side of that river and with no plans to return...all that can be done now is close the barn doors after the horse is gone..............

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
From being to Dajabon and recently, have you ever looked at the water...green in color, full of garbage....anyway I think people should be more concerned at the amount of Haitians on the wrong side of that river and with no plans to return...all that can be done now is close the barn doors after the horse is gone..............

I bathed in that river in 2006 and it was fine.

Goliath94K

Sep 30, 2013
Should just void the 1929 treaty and take back all the land we gave to Haiti.
i would usually agree with that but what would be the point? that land is literally a wasteland.. the only possible use i see for it is military training zone for bombardment an such... They can keep it.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Better yet, what does the DR do with the water from the river?

Chellow

Jul 27, 2006
Could always take the land back and sell the land to China or any county that wishes more real-estate near the USA market, China would be a good buffer. Remember that area was about half the size of Puerto Rico.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Another aspect is the situation with the Haitian government and the proposed canal it is building that some say will divert the Dajabon River. Apparently, the Haitian government has been lukewarm regarding the Dominican government wanting answers. The result? Now the Dominican government is prioritizing building a dam on the Artibonite River, the most important river in Haiti and which is born and runs through for its initial kilometers in Dominican territory. Hispaniola diplomacy at work. I expect the Haitian government to want to negotiate with the DR regarding this. It might come to the conclusion that there is no need to take things independently without the impute from the neighbor. lol