Massive >4km backup this morning at the peaje for the airport

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That would make zero sense for me on the north coast. No reason to have such a system where I live and normally drive.
You're probably saying that because there are no tolls in the north coast. It's hard for a new toll to be built on an existing highway as there will be protests complaining that a once free road becomes a for-pay-road, plus the notion all the money will be pocketed by politicians. However, Dominicans accept a toll road if it's built with one or several tolls. Hence, tolls aren't built along highways already built and for which they have been free for decades (the replacing of the toll in the 25 KM of the Duarte Highway is just that, a replacement and hence no protests or any complaints). But they are making the beltways with at least one toll. I was surprised that the "Boulevard del Este" in Bávaro/Punta Cana was made with not one toll somewhere.

It could very well be the case that the Cabarete Beltway could have the first toll in the north coast. If the highway from PP to Sosúa/Cabarete is expanded to four lanes (two in each direction with a divided median), they might try to put a toll there too. If the highway between POP and Navarrete is fully expanded, they might put another toll there too.

Azua got a beltway a few days ago and I think that one has one toll. I'm not sure with Baní where they are still building a beltway and will be finished in a few weeks, but chances are a toll will be built there too. Construction of the beltway of Navarrete itself is going to start soon and guess what, highly likely they will built a toll there too.

With that said, complaints on the efficiency of Paso Rápido has been increasing. Ever since the PRM came to power, this and other services (ie. the passports issue) have become worst.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Case in point, the complaints of Paso Rápido was touched on in today's airibg of 96.5 FM radio station. Look at the title, no need to know Spanish to know it's calling Paso Rápido a disaster (in particular what happened in Las Américas Highway, for which this thread was created).

Btw, they show the Paso Rápido with the yellow and black colors. Now they changed the yellow for green and even changed the logo.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Why exactly doesn't the Paso Rapido work here? The Sun Pass equivalent in Florida you just breeze on though at 30mph. What's slowing things down here?

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
The Paso Rapido are working on Dominican time.
And we all know that is a slower pace than many are used too.
Especially when comparing things from their home country.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You're probably saying that because there are no tolls in the north coast. It's hard for a new toll to be built on an existing highway as there will be protests complaining that a once free road becomes a for-pay-road, plus the notion all the money will be pocketed by politicians. However, Dominicans accept a toll road if it's built with one or several tolls. Hence, tolls aren't built along highways already built and for which they have been free for decades (the replacing of the toll in the 25 KM of the Duarte Highway is just that, a replacement and hence no protests or any complaints). But they are making the beltways with at least one toll. I was surprised that the "Boulevard del Este" in Bávaro/Punta Cana was made with not one toll somewhere.

It could very well be the case that the Cabarete Beltway could have the first toll in the north coast. If the highway from PP to Sosúa/Cabarete is expanded to four lanes (two in each direction with a divided median), they might try to put a toll there too. If the highway between POP and Navarrete is fully expanded, they might put another toll there too.

Azua got a beltway a few days ago and I think that one has one toll. I'm not sure with Baní where they are still building a beltway and will be finished in a few weeks, but chances are a toll will be built there too. Construction of the beltway of Navarrete itself is going to start soon and guess what, highly likely they will built a toll there too.

With that said, complaints on the efficiency of Paso Rápido has been increasing. Ever since the PRM came to power, this and other services (ie. the passports issue) have become worst.
What I meant is that getting an EasyPass makes no sense for me living in Cabarete.

I am not expecting any Cabarete Beltway to be built. The area between Sosua and Gaspar Hernandez is the bastard child of the DR.

Reactions: Neargale

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Why exactly doesn't the Paso Rapido work here? The Sun Pass equivalent in Florida you just breeze on though at 30mph. What's slowing things down here?
The need to open a gate for each vehicle and the amount of time it takes to read the sticker on the windshield.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What does it cost to get the minimally functional DR version of the EASYPass for a private vehicle?
Is there a one time charge to get one? How do you pay the tolls charged to it? Is there a monthly fee if you never used it, etc...

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
So it is a "non" easypass? How did they come up with that?
I'd guess it's because each transaction has to be confirmed via internet with the main office in Santo Domingo. I say that because there have been times the employees at a station would say the connection was slow at times.
It only takes a second or two to be validated, but that seems like a long time when you're driving through.
The "kit" you buy costs 250 pesos and you receive a 200 peso credit with you open your account.
No monthly charge, and there are various ways to recharge your account.
They also have a free app you can download to your phone to see your balance and recharge your account.

Kits can be purchased at many gas stations and pharmacies among others.

Father Guido

Jul 24, 2022
SDQ
Why is it so hard to get people to use the Paso Rapido? It's called "Sun Pass" in Florida and almost everyone has it. No need to stop at a toll booth. All rental cars in Miami come equipped with it.
most rental companies at MIA sell the toll passes as an option

Reactions: windeguy

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
What does it cost to get the minimally functional DR version of the EASYPass for a private vehicle?
Is there a one time charge to get one? How do you pay the tolls charged to it? Is there a monthly fee if you never used it, etc...
IMG_8924.jpeg

IMG_8925.jpeg

There is no need to buy a Paso Rápido kit if you buy a new vehicle from Santo Domingo Motors. All their new vehicles already come with a Paso Rápido.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Now they make it publicly known of the changes. lol This is in today's all the major newspapers. The lanes with the green arrows below are for the exclusive use of Paso Rápido clients.

IMG_8960.jpeg

IMG_8961.jpeg

All toll booths in the country will have exclusive lanes for Paso Rápido clients.

Last edited:

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Now they make it public;ly known of the changes. lol This is in today's all the major newspapers. The lanes with the green arrows below are for the exclusive use of Paso Rápido clients.

View attachment 7576

View attachment 7577

All toll boths in the country will have exclusive lanes for Paso Rápido clients.
the Problem is half of the drivers here can't read .. should have put the directions in pictures .

• Haha
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
It is an excellent move but I suppose that many Dominicans would balk at any possible question asked about registration of a car or drivers licence..

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Anyone actually take a moment and think about the concept of a "toll road"
Wasn't the road already paid for using taxpayer funds?
If it was not...after the initial invested capital has been collected by the "tolls" read (tax) shouldn't the toll on the road be dropped.
And don't try to hand me an old dead fish that will smell after a few days in the refrigerator by telling me that the tolls maintain the road afterwards.
Because that is at most 10% on the initial invested capital.

Tolls are a tax.
Taxes rarely get lowered.
And Paso Rápido represents an easier way for the controlling legal authorities to collect the tax.
With the disclosure of more of your personal information.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
NO . Most tollways in the DR were not built by taxpayers funds .There were contracts between the Government and construction companies and the construction companies arranged the finance and then recouped the cost by placing tolls on the roads they built. The contracts contain the details of the formulas ,or formulae in better English, of the amounts that can be charged. Yes the Government manages the collection of the tolls but the money only goes into consolidated revenue after the toll contractor receives his percentage first . If the tolls do not meet the percentage owed to the contractor then the Government meets the difference as in the dreadful contract signed for the toll road between Las Americas and the North Coast .
It is these type of contracts that are wide open to corruption, not only here in the DR but in the world at large. It can lead also to other problems, If a Government signs a contract with a company because it has confidence in that company, it is a much different story if that company is sold to different owners that the Government is at odds with.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Tolls on the North/South autoroute were dropped recently..... I'm happy to report

The one I hate using/paying is the coastal road to Samana/LT...... VERY $$$$

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Now they make it public;ly known of the changes. lol This is in today's all the major newspapers. The lanes with the green arrows below are for the exclusive use of Paso Rápido clients.

View attachment 7576

View attachment 7577

All toll boths in the country will have exclusive lanes for Paso Rápido clients.
It will be interesting to see if it works. I don't think it will. Has to be physical barriers.

Reactions: cavok