Massive effort to get kids back to learning

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
This is one of those things where they want to appear a developing country. It sounded good. Virtual classes. I wonder if they really believed it themselves. Shouldn't they instead have reopened the schools and maybe used masks and had some social distancing, Less hours maybe and less students in class. Maybe some classes virtually or assignments. Maybe some classes outside. That would all have sounded cool to and would have worked for the international propaganda. They just want to look good and as if they are doing something.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Does anyone know of a link(s) to a good spanish education on line .( not to learn spanish but for dominican kids to learn school stuff

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This is one of those things where they want to appear a developing country. It sounded good. Virtual classes. I wonder if they really believed it themselves. Shouldn't they instead have reopened the schools and maybe used masks and had some social distancing, Less hours maybe and less students in class. Maybe some classes virtually or assignments. Maybe some classes outside. That would all have sounded cool to and would have worked for the international propaganda. They just want to look good and as if they are doing something.
Certainly they should look at all options instead of all eggs in a basket that cant hold them( virtual education) They could do virtual for high school only and have grade six and below in classrooms with staggered start times, less students per class, social distancing...etc. Kids are already running around playing together without masks.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
The colegio where my daughters go has been preparing. Trained the teachers, supposedly. They are doing training for parents either in person or virtual this week. Kids are all supposed to have downloaded Google Meet, Google Classroom, Gmail, and Zoom. Meet has gone well so far. The first session with Meet had about 70 parents on line. We will see. I did not like Classroom much last year. There was another app where they could turn in assignments but I don't remember what it was. Seemed easier.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Stationery shops and bookshops will have the textbooks for each school year for the core subjects Lengua Española, Sociales, Cívica, Matemáticas, and Naturales.

I had a quick look online and one of the school textbook publishers Santillana has online educational resources too.

If ordering the books make sure you're selecting the right level (primary or secondary) and note that you have the option of buying a teacher's guide as well as the textbook and workbook.

I don't see prices in that link. But, these are the books that cost mil quiniento pesos in the store here. Even I don't like paying that. But way expensive for people with limited incomes.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Stationery shops and bookshops will have the textbooks for each school year for the core subjects Lengua Española, Sociales, Cívica, Matemáticas, and Naturales.

I had a quick look online and one of the school textbook publishers Santillana has online educational resources too.

If ordering the books make sure you're selecting the right level (primary or secondary) and note that you have the option of buying a teacher's guide as well as the textbook and workbook.

I don't see prices in that link. But, these are the books that cost mil quiniento pesos in the store here. Even I don't like paying that. But way expensive for people with limited incomes.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yes that's a ball park figure for cost per book. One can find used ones considerably cheaper in most cities. There is a large market in San Carlos in the capital that sells both used and new textbooks.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I think those Santilla books also come with a CD. And the work book or tarea asks questions about what is on the CD. Which means the kid has to have a CD player too. We had to buy portables. Fine for those who can buy these things. But I always feel for the students. In some cases the parents can barely pay the tuition. Let alone buy four or five of those books. Plus cuadernos, saca puntas, crayolas, colored paper, etc. Education is the way to have a life here.

Reactions: Auryn

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I am working on creating a Google Drive with hundreds of printable books in both Spanish and English available from pre-K to Grade 6 levels. They come with a set of 2-3 activities for each book. There are also diagnostic tests (to tell where to begin) and lesson plans available for the earlier levels. I am finished uploading to Grade 3 level and hope to add more as I have time.

A book called “Nacho” is frequently used in the DR for teaching literacy. It’s available on amazon. It’s fairly cheap ($15US) and could be photocopied. There are other levels in this same series.

https://www.amazon.com/Nacho-Inicia...ra&qid=1603878721&sprefix=nacho+libro+&sr=8-1

For Math, go online to mathdrills.com to print basic practice worksheets for nearly any type of numeracy skills up to about Grade 9 or so.

I can also provide a list of educational kids websites that might help for those who have a reliable connection.

Basically any type of workbook or program that you can find online would be better than relying on the current government plan. Especially for those who don’t have the electricity to run the tv or the Internet to access content.

Education is really the only hope for disadvantaged kids.

Message me if I can help. I will definitely try. You will need to access Google Drive for the printable books, but if you unfamiliar, I can walk you through it with pictures. If printing copies is preventative, let me know and we can try to figure something out.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Uniforms at home?
Yep. My step daughter, who is in a private school has been online for two months thanks to the laptop I provided her. Claro internet but the experience is minimal teaching at best.
Yes they wear uniforms and do Zoom but not all kids have her better internet, which itself is not enough.
It's a disaster and there is no need to pretend this is going to work for public schools.
I'd like to hear how many Dominican families got tablets for all their children plus the training for Zoom, connecting to WiFi, how many have adequate WiFi and are ready for NOV 2nd.

Remote teaching for public schools is just not going to work.
I am not a pessimist just a realist, who has seen in as a flop in a private school, and who thinks the children are becoming the ultimate victims of all the Chicken-Little Covid-Hawkers.
Will we panic when the next flu strain comes out of China too ?

• Sad
Reactions: aarhus and CDNBear

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I am working on creating a Google Drive with hundreds of printable books in both Spanish and English available from pre-K to Grade 6 levels. They come with a set of 2-3 activities for each book. There are also diagnostic tests (to tell where to begin) and lesson plans available for the earlier levels. I am finished uploading to Grade 3 level and hope to add more as I have time.

A book called “Nacho” is frequently used in the DR for teaching literacy. It’s available on amazon. It’s fairly cheap ($15US) and could be photocopied. There are other levels in this same series.

https://www.amazon.com/Nacho-Inicia...ra&qid=1603878721&sprefix=nacho+libro+&sr=8-1

For Math, go online to mathdrills.com to print basic practice worksheets for nearly any type of numeracy skills up to about Grade 9 or so.

I can also provide a list of educational kids websites that might help for those who have a reliable connection.

Basically any type of workbook or program that you can find online would be better than relying on the current government plan. Especially for those who don’t have the electricity to run the tv or the Internet to access content.

Education is really the only hope for disadvantaged kids.

Message me if I can help. I will definitely try. You will need to access Google Drive for the printable books, but if you unfamiliar, I can walk you through it with pictures. If printing copies is preventative, let me know and we can try to figure something out.
Does that book you want to copy have copyright protection ? In which case, if it is protected, and you may want to reconsider, although you probably would not be caught you are violating the authors' rights (multiple authors)

Reactions: bob saunders

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I'd like to hear how many Dominican families got tablets for all their children plus the training for Zoom, connecting to WiFi, how many have adequate WiFi and are ready for NOV 2nd.

I can answer that questiom and speak for about 80 young boys under 15 years of age playing baseball and about 50 boys and girls attending "school" for want of a better word. They have received none of the above.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Does that book you want to copy have copyright protection ? In which case, if it is protected, and you may want to reconsider, although you probably would not be caught you are violating the authors' rights (multiple authors)
The books are available online and are not “authored” by specific individuals. They do not list authors.

There is no international copyright registration system, but there are international treaties and conventions, such as the Berne Convention and the WIPO Copyright Treaty, that may extend copyright protection internationally. If the DR is a member of either, I might be concerned. I doubt Dominican copyright laws are as strict as the US or Canada, but it would be worth looking into.

Reactions: Gadfly and JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I can answer that questiom and speak for about 80 young boys under 15 years of age playing baseball and about 50 boys and girls attending "school" for want of a better word. They have received none of the above.

I bought tablets for each of the children of my employees.

They are super dedicated parents who are really struggling with the entire experience and life in general at the moment so every little bit helps.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Nacho one and two are very good for teaching children how to read and we use them extensively. The are cheap, around 300-400 pesos and available in many book stores. There are other similar readers also available. As far as coping, Copy stores here copy text books all the time.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Give it a rest. This thread is about education.
Exactly why are we talking about it ? Because of this Covid flu virus, right? Maybe you need to give it a rest and seek more education on why children aren't in school, because they can't be locked down each year. Of course the politics for the next few years won't amplify the over reaction

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The colegio where my daughters go has been preparing. Trained the teachers, supposedly. They are doing training for parents either in person or virtual this week. Kids are all supposed to have downloaded Google Meet, Google Classroom, Gmail, and Zoom. Meet has gone well so far. The first session with Meet had about 70 parents on line. We will see. I did not like Classroom much last year. There was another app where they could turn in assignments but I don't remember what it was. Seemed easier.
My wife prefers Meet as well or Zoom. Moogle is a good platform but they aren't using it here. Expect announcement soon from the government allowing for limited in class teaching with permission from parents.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Nacho one and two are very good for teaching children how to read and we use them extensively. The are cheap, around 300-400 pesos and available in many book stores. There are other similar readers also available. As far as coping, Copy stores here copy text books all the time.
Maria y Manual is another good reader for grade one.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Yep. My step daughter, who is in a private school has been online for two months thanks to the laptop I provided her. Claro internet but the experience is minimal teaching at best.
Yes they wear uniforms and do Zoom but not all kids have her better internet, which itself is not enough.
It's a disaster and there is no need to pretend this is going to work for public schools.

Remote teaching for public schools is just not going to work.
I am not a pessimist just a realist, who has seen in as a flop in a private school, and who thinks the children are becoming the ultimate victims of all the Chicken-Little Covid-Hawkers.
Will we panic when the next flu strain comes out of China too ?
I agree. The school children especially at public schools are paying to high a price. Why cant they open the schools and try and social distance and wear masks and teach outside etc.... They are as you say pretending its going to work. Its interesting because its a real test of the government as we all know some family this affects and we can all observe the disaster. Its actually very sad.