McDonald's in Puerto Plata

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Taco Bell is also crap. I taste them a few times, but this ha nothing to do with mexican food. When you're in SD you can eat way better here:

That's ther menu:

I avoid Santo Domingo like the plague. So what is there I really don't care. After a trip soon to pick up my passport, I will only have to go there once a year on government business from that point forward. And that is one time a year too much. I really do hate Santo Trafickjam.
Hopefully others that like that craphole will appreciate your recommendation.

But I do like Taco Bell, but then the only ones I have visited were in the US. No it is not Tex-Mex or Mexican. It is what it is.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Mcdonald, that would be the last food I will eat in DR.

JJ
You should see the line of cars that form in some evenings on the Taco Bell in Núñez de Cáceres (SD). It's so long it spills into the street. Yeah, a very unpopular place. lol

McDonald's look nice. At least you know they have clean bathrooms wherever they are. Sometimes going home is just too far to wait and that's without traffic.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The appeal of fast food restaurants is exactly that - it's fast. Plus, they are all very clean and air conditioned and you know what to expect. Consistency and quality control is very good. It's great if you know a local place that has good fast food, but, otherwise, you're just rolling the dice.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
The appeal of fast food restaurants is exactly that - it's fast. Plus, they are all very clean and air conditioned and you know what to expect. Consistency and quality control is very good. It's great if you know a local place that has good fast food, but, otherwise, you're just rolling the dice.
Not so sure about clean.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
You should see the line of cars that form in some evenings on the Taco Bell in Núñez de Cáceres (SD). It's so long it spills into the street. Yeah, a very unpopular place. lol

McDonald's look nice. At least you know they have clean bathrooms wherever they are. Sometimes going home is just too far to wait and that's without traffic.
Most are like that. I've seen long drive in lines at Krispy Kreme

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
Next to the Jumbo they are building a McDonald's. This will be the first stand alone McDonald's on the north coast, part of the expansion in recent years mostly in the Santo Domingo and Santiago areas. It appears it isn't open yet, but opening day shouldn't be too far (unless a new Covid related nationwide shutdown is imposed.)

we made a pact that if a McDonalds or a Starbucks ever gets built in Las Terrenas, we're selling our home

Reactions: anny95 and OldSkool

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Next to the Jumbo they are building a McDonald's. This will be the first stand alone McDonald's on the north coast, part of the expansion in recent years mostly in the Santo Domingo and Santiago areas. It appears it isn't open yet, but opening day shouldn't be too far (unless a new Covid related nationwide shutdown is imposed.)

Ok, but are they going to have Iced Coffee? Last I knew, Santiago did not. Hot enough to melt concrete, and no Iced Coffee. Kind of strange.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
we made a pact that if a McDonalds or a Starbucks ever gets built in Las Terrenas, we're selling our home
Ok, a Burger King then! lol

Now that I think of it, I don't think there are any international fast food joints on the entire Samaná Peninsula. Apparently, there isn't a sizeable enough middle class to support those types of businesses. Las Terrenas is growing. Notice Grupo Ramos expanded to the peninsula by opening a Super Pola in Las Terrenas, they didn't bother with the provincial capital and forget about it regarding other towns and villages. Expats and weekenders is what keeps that place alive. I greatly doubt Las Terrenas proper can sustain such a business. That could be the beginning of what could come in the future if Las Terrenas continue to grow in popularity among expats.

Then again, Sosúa has more expats than Las Terrenas and while they have a Super Pola (don't know if that was one of the Super Pola's converted to Sirena Market), it doesn't have its own Burger King, Pizza Hut, etc. Sosúa's expats have to go to Puerto Plata if they crave for those things, because it's Dominicans that are kreping these places open. Closest place to Las Terrenas with Pizza Hut, Burger King and the likes is San Francisco de Macorís, an area with hardly any expats too. Even Sirena is there while it isn't anywhere in Samaná.

Age demographic could explain that in addition to population size. Among expats the average age has to be much higher than among middle class Dominicans, plus the typical expat doesn't live with a family with kids while it's more common among middle class Dominicans. So, even if a place has an expat population big enough with an average income that could be the same or higher than typical middle class Dominicans to theoretically support a Pizza Hut and sorts, the age factor can work against it given peoples diets change as they get older and face more health problems.

The fact that there isn't a single Nacional in any of the expats "hotspots" (except Punta Cana, but Nacional is actually closer to Dominican dominated communities than those dominated by foreigners, another sign?) To have a Nacional means there is serious money around, since that is the most luxurious supermarket chain in the DR. Not even Bravo, which is quite a few steps down but higher than Olé, is in or near expats hotspots. Every year they open new stores, none in the "expat zone." There is a rumor that Bravo will open a store in Puerto Plata, but when will that happen is anyone's guess. What is certain is that every rumor of Bravo opening a store in a certain place is followed by they opening a store there a couple of years down the line. They usually buy the land where the store will be a few years before they break ground to start construction. Notice, the rumor is that they will open a store in what is the major zone for middle class Dominicans on the north coast. There is no rumor they will be opening a store in Sosúa, much less in Las Terrenas. That coukd change at least for Sosúa, for Las Terrenas not so much.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I'd like to see a Dunkin' Donuts in Sosua. Awesome breakfast sandwiches and better coffee than Starbucks for half the price. And the donuts are hard to beat.

• Love
Reactions: windeguy

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I'd like to see a Dunkin' Donuts in Sosua. Awesome breakfast sandwiches and better coffee than Starbucks for half the price. And the donuts are hard to beat.
We had one here in Santo Domingo a few years ago but it died a slow and extremely painful death. They even built their own stand-alone building which is now a Wendy's.

Another one was Denny's. The guy who built it didn't have a clue.

I would take my own instant grits for breakfast because they didn't offer grits. I couldn't order biscuits and gravy, even though they had biscuits and gravy available.

Tried to make a nightclub out of it. How dumb is that?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: cavok

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
We had one here in Santo Domingo a few years ago but it died a slow and extremely painful death. They even built their own stand-alone building which is now a Wendy's.

Another one was Denny's. The guy who built it didn't have a clue.

I would take my own instant grits for breakfast because they didn't offer grits. I couldn't order biscuits and gravy, even though they had biscuits and gravy available.

Tried to make a nightclub out of it. How dumb is that?

JD, are you talking about the one in zona colonial at the top of the steps?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Why do you think they didn't make it? Everyone likes coffee and donuts.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
I guess there's always exceptions(?). The last fast food place I went to was Subway in Santiago. Four different types of fresh baked bread and fresh ingredients for great sandwiches. The bathrooms were spotless.
I agree. I've been to 3 Subways in Santiago, Punta Cana and Bavaro. All were identical in selection and quality. A friend who managed a Subway in Canada said the quality was as good as the store they managed in Canada. And lets face it - it is a lot healthier than Whoppers and Big Macs

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Why do you think they didn't make it? Everyone likes coffee and donuts.

Mainly because they were selling stale doughnuts and letting coffee sit in the coffee maker all day long. Stale doughnuts and old coffee at premium prices are never a good thing.

Wendy's bought the building and has been there for quite a few years now.

• Wow

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
JD, are you talking about the one in zona colonial at the top of the steps?
No, I'm talking about the Dunkin Doughnuts that was on Tiradentes across the street from Silver Sun Gallery.

It's a Wendy's now.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Mainly because they were selling stale doughnuts and letting coffee sit in the coffee maker all day long. Stale doughnuts and old coffee at premium prices are never a good thing.

Wendy's bought the building and has been there for quite a few years now.
Most Dominican places are very stingy with their coffee, especially considering how relatively cheap it is here. You're lucky to get a 5oz-6oz cup at best. I was at a Santo Domingo Coffee kiosk is Las Galerias Mall in SD about 4 years ago and paid almost $2.50 for a dinky cup of coffee.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I agree. I've been to 3 Subways in Santiago, Punta Cana and Bavaro. All were identical in selection and quality. A friend who managed a Subway in Canada said the quality was as good as the store they managed in Canada. And lets face it - it is a lot healthier than Whoppers and Big Macs

I would also add the one in MegaCentro in SD Este is more than adequate.

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
I'm with you, thanks god there are no rumors to open such fast food crap shops in the small citys over the NC.
1000 times I'll prefer a fresh grilled fish or lobster.

Reactions: OldSkool

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I'm with you, thanks god there are no rumors to open such fast food crap shops in the small citys over the NC.
1000 times I'll prefer a fresh grilled fish or lobster.
If there were a fast food restaurant with fresh grilled fish or lobster, I'd go there!