Medical School Questions

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
I would recommend UNIBE. Program is good and in English. I have a few friends who study there, two transferred from UNPHU to finish at unibe. 

Sep 4, 2012
Were the books in Spanish?

Lectures are in Spanish, Classes and practices are also in Spanish so are the pamphlets and all supporting documents and exams, however; English is the universal language so many medical terms native to the field are in English.

Ask me how I know...

Sep 4, 2012
While I wait for the rest of the group to make their way into the clubhouse, I will take the bait.....how do you know?

How do I know what exactly?

Upon graduation in DR or any other foreign country for the matters, one becomes an IMG/FMG in the USA and must be able to then earn an accreditation by LCME.

Upon successfully getting the accreditation, then one become MD and able to fully practice in the USA.

Last edited:

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
How do I know what exactly?

Upon graduation in DR or any other foreign country for the matters, one becomes an IMG/FMG in the USA and must be able to then earn an accreditation by LCME.

Upon successfully getting the accreditation, then one become MD and able to fully practice in the USA.

How do you know what exactly???
Three times within this thread you finished a post with the words "Ask me how I know". After the second time, I took the bait and asked, "so how do you know?". Nothing more. Nothing less. So, once again.....how do you know?
(Not being argumentative. I actually find it to be quite laughable in nature.)

Sep 4, 2012
How do you know what exactly???
Three times within this thread you finished a post with the words "Ask me how I know". After the second time, I took the bait and asked, "so how do you know?". Nothing more. Nothing less. So, once again.....how do you know?
(Not being argumentative. I actually find it to be quite laughable in nature.)

Want a straight answer?

Ask a direct question.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
Okay. So there are a number of "good" medical schools in the DR. None of them are "accredited" in the United States - there is, however, one that gets attributed a false "accredited" status because it is taught in English - UNIBE. UNIBE is a decent offshore medical school, but they were the last of ALL of the schools in the DR to lose their ability to accept FAFSA LOANS.

To be clear: there is no university in the Dominican Republic that is eligible to process FAFSA loans anymore. The ability to process PELL grants is long gone. Why? A medical school is guaged based on how many graduates pass the USMLE (US Medical Liscensing Exam). More than 70% must consistently pass the exam in order for the school to be eligible for the FAFSA LOAN (no grants) program. UNIBE was the last to lose the distinction two years ago.

That doesn't, however, mean that the program is bad. There are a number of cultural and linguistic reasons why students are not passing the exam. Most are dominican educated and are not used to sitting for 8 hour long, standardized exams. The language is difficult (case studies), and so many don't pass. The university cannot limit who takes the exam, so they can't control the percentage of passing. If a student is willing to pay the fee and sit the exam, they can not be stopped.

That said. UNIBE is a solid school. PUCMM is recognized as the best. UCE in San Pedro is also very good. La UASD - ni se diga. The education at La UASD is compromised by all of the protests, strikes, violence, etc.

To complete the medical degree from the UASD, one can start at a satelite campus, but must finish in the capital. PUCMM just inaugurated their medical school in Santo Domingo (with a building that rivals the Santiago campus! It's beautiful).