METRO - Looks like some of us had a clue?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/4589/planm.png
Click on link to see full map

planm.png

Last edited:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Metro rocks, plain and simple. If you have never used the Metro you have no idea how great it is, and cheap, cheap, cheap to boot.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Again, keep in mind that as is, the SD Metro is fully self sufficient.

The fare being collected now is NOT the fare that will be paid when the three main trunk lines are put into commercial operations.

We have yet to fully exploit the commercial areas of the Metro Stations and the publicity revenues.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Again, keep in mind that as is, the SD Metro is fully self sufficient.

The fare being collected now is NOT the fare that will be paid when the three main trunk lines are put into commercial operations.

We have yet to fully exploit the commercial areas of the Metro Stations and the publicity revenues.

OK, my comments. I was one of the ones who laughed when IKEA was being built. I also cracked up laughing opening day of Agora when the mall was half empty. Galleria 360 was another joke to me cause I am thinking what you need another mall for.

Final opinion, everything just fell right in place Agora is kicking butt big time, Metro to find a seat is like hitting the lottery, Galleria 360 is the place when you just want a small mall or the theater, IKEA well isn't the cheapest but you can find what you need................ Every place I mentioned is spotless clean.

What can I say?

GREAT JOB la rep dom

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
OK, my comments. I was one of the ones who laughed when IKEA was being built. I also cracked up laughing opening day of Agora when the mall was half empty. Galleria 360 was another joke to me cause I am thinking what you need another mall for.

Final opinion, everything just fell right in place Agora is kicking butt big time, Metro to find a seat is like hitting the lottery, Galleria 360 is the place when you just want a small mall or the theater, IKEA well isn't the cheapest but you can find what you need................ Every place I mentioned is spotless clean.

What can I say?

GREAT JOB la rep dom

I agree. Was in Agora and IKEA today. Both are full every Saturday. Lucky to find a parking in agora on a Saturday. And definitely not just window shoppers. IKEA full store, long lines and the cashiers. The franchiser that's running this IKEA has several more but SD is his most profitable store (well, with those prices I'm not surprised).

And Galeria 360 is the perfect place to go for just an hour or so, easy parking, not so much to walk and you'll always bump into someone you know. It doesn't look so crowded because of the wide lanes.

The mall that is the biggest deception of all is Sambil. I hope they calculated for many years of half occupancy else I foresee a unicentro or malecon center debacle but then on a bigger scale.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Just so you know:

Prez Leonel Fernandez had planned to start the SD-Santiago HVT if he went for the new term with the party support.

Prez Medina will NOT plan to do that, instead he plans to continue to upgrade and built new schools and the Hospital system.
Which includes "Estancias Infantiles" by the bunch.

The HVT has been shelved for the next 4 years...

Line 2 will be continued to Los Alcarrizos. Line 5 will also see budget.

Line 3 will be left for the next period.

The SD Metro will continue to be expanded no matter the party in the administration.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Just so you know:

Prez Leonel Fernandez had planned to start the SD-Santiago HVT if he went for the new term with the party support.

Prez Medina will NOT plan to do that, instead he plans to continue to upgrade and built new schools and the Hospital system.
Which includes "Estancias Infantiles" by the bunch.

The HVT has been shelved for the next 4 years...

Line 2 will be continued to Los Alcarrizos. Line 5 will also see budget.

Line 3 will be left for the next period.

The SD Metro will continue to be expanded no matter the party in the administration.

Which is line 5? To Zona Colonial?

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
Raise the fare to RD25 and it would still be a bargain. The problem I see with the Metro is there is only one line going north and south along Gomez. If there were another line going east and west would be a major improvement.

Maybe I am a dreamer but the Metro has potential.

How about a Mr. Lu "I rode the Metro" video?

and if they raise the fare to 60..it might start making some money

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
the route sd to santigo and p.p would kill the bus....kill it imagine p,p to s d in one hr,,,,

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
the route sd to santigo and p.p would kill the bus....kill it imagine p,p to s d in one hr,,,,

That's the pitch the gov is making to private investors to fund part of the project and co-manage it.

The passenger service will be a success, the commercial angle of using the rails during off hours for cargo from the Zona Franca to SD's ports would be the second success.

This is very costly.

Until the section linking the current station of L2 to the Los Alcarrizos terminal gets built, the HVT will not be undertaken.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I was and still am a critic of the Metro.

My reasons are simple:

1. With it's limited budget the DR should focus on food, health care and education first, Metro's are a distant third

2. I don't believe for a second that the Metro is self-sufficient when calculation the cost of capital on the investment plus the operating cost. it might be self-sufficient when only looking at operating cost, but that is only half the picture.

3. It focusses too much of the budget on the capital alone.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I was and still am a critic of the Metro.

My reasons are simple:

1. With it's limited budget the DR should focus on food, health care and education first, Metro's are a distant third

2. I don't believe for a second that the Metro is self-sufficient when calculation the cost of capital on the investment plus the operating cost. it might be self-sufficient when only looking at operating cost, but that is only half the picture.

3. It focusses too much of the budget on the capital alone.

And what about debt. Is there any plan whatsoever to pay back some of the borrowed money before trying to replicate 1st world countries. "Lipstick on a pig" can only go so far! When more than 80% of the country lives on less than $600/mth and 50% less than $250 and a police force that is responsable, in one way or another, for 90% of crime..... Education and a proper serve and protect system should be long ahead of state of the art metros.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
And what about debt. Is there any plan whatsoever to pay back some of the borrowed money before trying to replicate 1st world countries. "Lipstick on a pig" can only go so far! When more than 80% of the country lives on less than $600/mth and 50% less than $250 and a police force that is responsable, in one way or another, for 90% of crime..... Education and a proper serve and protect system should be long ahead of state of the art metros.

as i have posted before, there have been many studies that show a robust statistical correlation between corruption and massive capital expenditure projects. education will get attention, but only as far as buildings and equipment, because politicians can make a fortune by inflating costs and fleecing the treasury. the central thrust of the education initiatives have been in terms of building school space, at ridiculous costs per classroom. the more effective approach, to get good teachers and pay them well does not offer much of an opportunity for looting, which is why i do not hold out much hope for any meaningful upgrade in the education process. at least the kids will be sitting at desks that were designed in a million peso contest.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Debt is taken into account when calculating th cost of capital. For calculation purposes it makes little difference whether capital is debt or equity as both carry cost.