Middle Class in DR

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
48,000US is middle class even in the USA.

Yes, but the cost of living in DR is more expensive. so, if you want to have the standard US middle class living, you will need more income.
In USA you dont have to pay for education of the children (they go to public school), here we have to pay around 500dlls monthly each.
In USA you pay around 100dlls for full 24hrs elect., here around 500dlls with not central AC.
in USA you buy a SUV with 30,000, here we have to pay 50,000 for the same vehicle.
in USA you pay 3dlls for gas, here we pay over 6dlls.
health care, clothes, appliances, etc, etc, is way more expensive here.

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
I had AC in my first apartment in Gazcue because there was no circulation, and basically no windows that opened.

I live on the second story now, and I guess I'm just lucky with airflow and what not.

I'm also young and maybe can survive here better ;)

Jan 3, 2003
that 44% figure is a crock. only some deranged statistican would think of implying that close to one half of Dominicans live a middle class existence. for every one guy who rolls up to a location in a toyota corolla, ten guys get off a motoncho, and 15 get out of a carrito...ergo

FACT-60% of Dominicans earn under 10,000 DOP a month. At 40 to 1 that's 250 measly bucks a month. The majority of Dominicans exist on water vapor and fumes. I can only laugh at a certain poster stating with assertion that the mean wage in Lo Mina which is a ghetto is about 1,000 a month. Those earning 40,000 pesos a month in the DR are few and very far in between. I'm Dominican and I ain't being fooled by bogus stats. I with you once again GORGON!!!

Lol who pays 15,000-20,000DOP in electric bills?? These are just hypothetical figures.

Extremely hypothetical just like an invasion from Planet X by the Bungala People.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yes, but the cost of living in DR is more expensive. so, if you want to have the standard US middle class living, you will need more income.
In USA you dont have to pay for education of the children (they go to public school), here we have to pay around 500dlls monthly each.
In USA you pay around 100dlls for full 24hrs elect., here around 500dlls with not central AC.
in USA you buy a SUV with 30,000, here we have to pay 50,000 for the same vehicle.
in USA you pay 3dlls for gas, here we pay over 6dlls.
health care, clothes, appliances, etc, etc, is way more expensive here.

I believe most people would say you pay more for medical insurance and medical procedures in the USA than the DR.
CLOTHING MAY BE MORE EXPENSIVE BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO HAVE A WINTER SET, PLUS A SUMMER SET.
True about cars and gas
You may have to pay for education in the DR, but in the USA you pay for it in the form of school taxes and property taxes

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
FACT-60% of Dominicans earn under 10,000 DOP a month. At 40 to 1 that's 250 measly bucks a month. The majority of Dominicans exist on water vapor and fumes. I can only laugh at a certain poster stating with assertion that the mean wage in Lo Mina which is a ghetto is about 1,000 a month. Those earning 40,000 pesos a month in the DR are few and very far in between. I'm Dominican and I ain't being fooled by bogus stats. I with you once again GORGON!!!

Extremely hypothetical just like an invasion from Planet X by the Bungala People.

True Fact: the peso is at 37.95 here in Santiago, not 40 to 1 as you state. You may very well be Dominican, but in actuality your more of a sell-out Dominican. A handkerchief head or an uncle Tom, as Black Americans would say. Ergo you comments are always tainted, and not to be taken sireouly.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
You may have to pay for education in the DR, but in the USA you pay for it in the form of school taxes and property taxes[/QUOTE]

Here we pay taxes twice. and not free education.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
PICHARDO, your constant comparisons of the DR to the US speaks to a severe case of insecurity.

You speak about the cost of living and how it's so much more expensive to live a middle-class lifestyle in the DR, yet you leave out the fact that all you get for all that overpaying is a substandard infrastructure and a level of ingrained corruption that makes the DR a laughing stock.

If it costs less for a DR resident to pay a couple of cops to do their bidding than it is to pay their monthly electrical bill, I'd say maybe you shouldn't speak of these price comparisons with such pride.

And those photos that you posted-what are they supposed to mean? All I see are streets and apartment buildings (if the photos are indeed your own. You've been known to post photos in the past that you did not take without stating so). For all I know it could be just all four corners of the same block.

Have you taken a survey of each neighborhood to see what the median household incomes are?

I don't believe you have.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
in response to Onions and Carrots...i missed that part about people in Los Mina making an average of close to 40,000 pesos per month. that is blatant nonsense. if the average there is 15 large, i would be surprised. as to Taino, do not attack the messenger...attack the message. prove him wrong. if he is right, no amount of name calling will make him wrong.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Here we pay taxes twice. and not free education.

Explain the above statement , please.[/QUOTE]

There is nothing to explain, in The US you pay taxes and the government will return them in free education.
Here we pay taxes, and then, we have to pay again for a very expensive education.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
yes, johnny. and, in the USA, if my apartment gets broken into, i report the matter to the local precinct, and they investigate, as best they can. in the DR, i have to pay the cops to leave the station

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Explain the above statement , please.

There is nothing to explain, in The US you pay taxes and the government will return them in free education.
Here we pay taxes, and then, we have to pay again for a very expensive education.[/QUOTE]

Most Dominicans pay no property taxes, and none pay school taxes. There are good schools available for less than 20,000 pesos per month. A good prep school in Canada or the US cost more than double that.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Trying to catch up here. Are these quotes the rental on an apt here, or your presumed idea of the monthly income of one living here, or the purchase price of an apt, or what? Thanks

An average monthly income for a person living in each of those spots...

And this is not "presumed" as we have biz that work with that type of data research for the DR!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

People believe anything nowadays...

Los Mina averages are RD$10,000 per individual per month and combined households do better there than single or couples with kids...