Might be moving to DR in August

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blondie24

Apr 7, 2007
Hello Planner, here are my answers to your questions:
1- You are right, the two guys are working at a resort (Breezes hotel).
2- I have know the three of them since February...I guess not long enough to know alot about them.
3- My friend from UK will be legally liable for everything...she had already planned to move to DR before she met her boyfriend.
4- I guess you are right, there are many things that I did not take into consideration while planning the budget. I also did not consider putting money aside for emergency/unplanned events...

As for your last question, I've know my friend since February. I spent one week at the resort he works at in February. Then, I went back last week and spent the week at his place.

The main reason I am posting here is to get honnest views on what I thought was a chance in a lifetime. After reading your posts, I am starting to wonder if I was not about to make a big mistake...I am not saying that my friend is not a good person but I think I will keep going to DR just to visit for a while and get to know him better and then, later on, if things are still going great, I might reconsider moving.

Thanks to all of you...without your help, maybe I would have made the worst decision in my life...Despite all this, there is one thing I am sure about: I love DR!!!

All of you take care!!!

Gen

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Yes, I think it is a very bad decision. I think you should get an apartment that you and your friend can afford and live there. Once the boys can pay their share, every penny of it, they can move in. And do read Planner's post again. And Howmar's. Remember once someone moves in, it is kinda impossible to get them out. I'm afraid you're contemplating decisions that every old-timer on this board will advise against. You and your friend will be taking on the complete support of two men who will most probably not pay towards household expenses, cleanup or any other household duty.

What does everyone think? Does this remain in employment? Do I send it to living, or does Anna inherit it :cheeky:

No please don't go there ;)

Blondie listen to the good advice that people are giving you. Move in with your friend from the (UK was it?) and date these boys till the shinny stuff falls off and you see them for what they really are and if after 6 months of living in the DR these boys still look good then consider getting your own apartment with the boy.

These posters giving you advice know what they are talking about. It's hard enough to deal with one boyfriend let alone the four of you moving in together to make things easier. Don't assume everyone knows the rules of how we live in Canada and respect privacy either ;).

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I see as positive the fact that the boys were looking for an 8000 peso apartment where everyone would pay 2000 pesos rent per month. Of course they may have been well aware that the lifestyle offered by such an apartment would not be acceptable to the 2 young ladies! They may have been counting on it, in fact. So test that one out. Say you've changed your mind, you wouldn't want to rob your man of his manly pride by not being able to pay his fair share ;) and get the guys to look for an 8000 peso apartment. Just to see what happens and what responses you get. Of course the guys now know that you are prepared to subsidise them. If you get back responses of 'all the 8000 peso apartments have gone', walk away.

I would also ask another question: supposing the 4 of you share an apartment and the boys are gone from 9am to 11pm as their work dictates. How would you feel when/if you discover that your man is chatting up other girls on holiday during the day and then coming back to you at night? That's assuming he does come back, there might be times when he seems to disappear!

Sharing a home isn't easy but at least you and you girlfriend could provide a mutual support group for each other. And yes it will be needed.

Since I sense you love this country I'm going to make a suggestion. Stay working in Canada and save up some money. Then ask your job for a, 3 month say, sabbatical, link up with some of the NGO's or missions and come down and do 3 months voluntary work building homes or whatever. That, too, will be a life-changing experience, one where you will feel really good about yourself both during and after and one where you won't be exploited at all. You would meet some of the most economically deprived of Dominicans yet those who are rich in their sense of values and spirituality. And you would have the knowledge that you had done something to make a difference. :)

Blondie24

Apr 7, 2007
Relocating a Canadian 101

I was thinking of making a new interesting thread for your forum Anna .. titled Relocating a Canadian 101 :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I really don't know why most Canadians fall in love with DR the first time they go there!!! Anna - If you do start this thread, I will be the first one to join in!!!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I was thinking of making a new interesting thread for your forum Anna .. titled Relocating a Canadian 101 :laugh::laugh::laugh:

What a great idea Chris, go right ahead and be my guest. ;)

Maybe planner would like to start one up

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
I think you should go for it....if you can save up money to take with you as a backup then thats great....but my opinion is biased!!!

These guys are good, things would be very different if they weren't trustworthy.

Take time to think about it...remember that it doesnt have to be a permanent move. Do what you feel is right!

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Take the great advice given to you!!
I got married at Breezes I remember the workers there lol One was already in love with my cousin and one with my friend the usual lol Be carful please and think wisely for your own sake :)
A bunch of us went out with one of the staff he was nice but would I completely trust him NO! As long as he didn't ask any of us for money we were cool! Besides after I told him how many times I had been there and how I knew my way around a bit. I think he knew he couldn't mess with anyone I was well aware of what goes on with the Sankies lol

caro

Sep 24, 2003
Sharing a home isn't easy but at least you and you girlfriend could provide a mutual support group for each other. And yes it will be needed.

2- I have know the three of them since February...I guess not long enough to know alot about them. (quote of blondie24)

but she don t know more her friend from Uk so that could be a other problem too. Living in the same house she will have to work with the problem of her friend and his boyfriend if have it .

for my part I will not try in DR to come living here with a friend who i don t really know and with his boyfriend who I will have to live with or if he don t live there will propably be there all the time .

here that could be the paradis but could be a real nightmare if you don t know who is around you .

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
This doesn't seem like the chance of a lifetime to me. It sounds like you will be moving to a place you do not know much about, and you don't even have a job lined up. On top of that, you will be living with three people you met a few months ago at a resort? Are you delusional? I hate to burst your bubble, but the resident curmudgeon is on vacation. This decision seems very unwise, and potentially very expensive and dangerous. The experience would be priceless--but I would hate to see you go through so much pain. Don't do it!

You need to place a little more value on your life, girl. Some random guy you met and you'll be paying MORE for this place....this is not what a good man would do. He is not into you for anything more than a free ride.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
These guys are good, things would be very different if they weren't trustworthy.

Is it safe to say that you are the UK friend and the trustworthy guys are.......................oh never mind what's the point:paranoid:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
One of the basic rules: don't trust anyone until you have bloody good reason to trust them.

You cannot "know" anyone after meeting them on vacation for a week and then spending one other week with them.

You don't know his friend. You don't know the other girl from England. How on earth could you.

IT would be a massive MISTAKE to follow thru on this plan. I agree with the other advice given - save your money - come on down for sabbatical - spend 2 or 3 months here doing volunteer work - see what it is really like. And for heavens sake read the sankie forums!!!!! You are dating (or whatever we call it ) a hotel worker!!! Most likely an Animation worker! Read honey, read.

As for relocating a Canadian 101 - let me think about it....LOL ;) ;) ;)

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
First I dont want to be negative but people on this forum are right, u do not know them, think about it would u move in back in Canada with 3 strangers u know for less then a month? Everything is beautiful on vacation but this is not gonna be a vacation. When I was thinking of moving to the DR I went down 5 times before moving there. And I had research a lot about the DR. I moved there lived with someone but I only moved for 4 months to see if its something i would like, I volonteered at the same time in a public school and it was an experience of a life time. I'm lucky things went great, and thats why now im ready to move again but this time for a very long time.
You need to ask yourself many different questions, like is this person gonna be able to support me if ever something happens to me? Are u willing to move without a job assured? What will you do if you dont like living with 3 other people? ETC etc ..... Think about it, the Dr is a beautiful country but life on vacation in the DR and living in the DR are very different.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Come on planner it's a well needed forum :D ;)

One of the basic rules: don't trust anyone until you have bloody good reason to trust them.

You cannot "know" anyone after meeting them on vacation for a week and then spending one other week with them.

You don't know his friend. You don't know the other girl from England. How on earth could you.

IT would be a massive MISTAKE to follow thru on this plan. I agree with the other advice given - save your money - come on down for sabbatical - spend 2 or 3 months here doing volunteer work - see what it is really like. And for heavens sake read the sankie forums!!!!! You are dating (or whatever we call it ) a hotel worker!!! Most likely an Animation worker! Read honey, read.

As for relocating a Canadian 101 - let me think about it....LOL ;) ;) ;)

Blondie24

Apr 7, 2007
Thanks to all of you for your comments. Remember that the reason I posted on this website was to get some guidance in order to make a smart decision. I really got what I expected from this website: honnest answers. I am really reconsidering my decision of moving to DR for the moment. Instead, I will keep coming to beautiful DR every couple of months to get to know the place and the people better. Then, if I still feel that I belong in DR, I will carefully plan the big move. In the meantime, I will keep reading your posts to learn as much as much as I can about DR.

Thanks for being so nice!!!

Gen

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Well! ... If someone had orchestrated this: written the script, rehearsed the players (complete with contrived typo and grammatical errors) and cued them in -- it couldn't have played better. Of course this was the genuine article which makes it so poignant. Wonderful "soap" -- with a sincere message already! I can hardly wait for the next episode.

[Should I delete this reply in case it offends someone or ... Oh Hell no! Post!]

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Theres no need for sarcasm when someone is genuinely asking for advice and guidence. How rude!!
Hope that little out burst made you feel good about yourself, trying to belittle other people.
Its posts like that make me wonder why you bother to add your 2p worth!!

Blondie24, dont let some insulting posts put you off researching the DR...this is a great place to find the info, apart from certain people!!

Blondie24

Apr 7, 2007
Me again - Before seeing your post, I really though that people on DR1 were there to help each other but your response really shows that everywhere there are people who don't give a damn about respect. If you have nothing interesting to say, just don't respond. To all the other intelligent people on this website, thanks again for all your great advice.

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
One more thing, I don't think that you should judge anyone's grammatical errors judging by your last post Me_again!
English is not Blondie24's first language so I think she articulates herself well with few errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.