Migracion boarding my guagua

Status
Not open for further replies.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
For the first time in 2023, migracion boarded our guagua. As in the past, it was at Autopista de las Americas and De Gaulle. For the first time ever that I've seen, they nabbed a Haitian.
However, the guagua waited for him and he was released in about a minute. I don´t know if he had papers and a visa or money or all 3. But he was back on the guagua and off we went.

I´m hoping he had a visa or cedula so that he was here legally. I would like to think that the migracion are actually following the laws they deem to enforce.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Up to now they haven't been following the laws they are supposed to enforce. But hopefully that is changing - my friend who has Dominican citizenship and dark skin hasn't been locked up recently.

As for that detained Haitian being set free - not many people carry the 8-10,000 pesos needed for a "Get out of Jail" card.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
It is a racket ..Yesterday they were also at the Multi Plaza corner in la Romana . A truck type bus in the shade on the adjacent side and one immigration man or,at least, a man in uniform. The bus was chock a block full of Haitians but after I left Multi Plaza it appeared empty . Two weeks ago also on a Friday they were stopping all traffic on the entry to the Autopista from La Romana Este and said they were seeking illegals from Venezuela ..but then there were about 6 to 8 armed officers. The officials are not serious ,if they were they would be at the entry to Casa de Campo and La Estancia in the mornings to see all the Haitians lining up for work .

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I used to see them early mornings all the time near Guzman y Del Sol here in Santiago. 2 big gua guas with around 10 to 12 immigration officers at a time. I've been stopped/ checked by immigration. No problem. They are doing their job/ exactly what they are supposed to be doing.
People with the proper documents go about their day without any problems, those without are detained and in some cases deported. Immigration officers are polite, professional and easy to deal with.
Unlike the PN, they have never asked me for money either.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
People with the proper documents go about their day without any problems, those without are detained and in some cases deported. Immigration officers are polite, professional and easy to deal with.

Well that wasn't the case early on in the current purge, when my dark skinned friend was locked up more than once. As I said earlier in this thread, I hope that is no longer going on, but that was by the PN. She never got as far as dealing with Immigration.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Well that wasn't the case early on in the current purge, when my dark skinned friend was locked up more than once. As I said earlier in this thread, I hope that is no longer going on, but that was by the PN. She never got as far as dealing with Immigration.
I've been detained and spent a night in jail here on four different occasions. Skin color has nothing to with their round ups. Strictly business.

Different strokes for different folks.
Of all the government agencies with boots on the ground in this country, speaking from my own personal experience, immigration has been the easiest to deal with.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I've been detained and spent a night in jail here on four different occasions. Skin color has nothing to with their round ups. Strictly business.
Of course you are welcome to your opinion, but if it's nothing to do with skin colour I don't see why my dark-skinned Dominican friend (carrying a Dominican cedula) was the only Dominican locked up with the Haitians.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Of course you are welcome to your opinion, but if it's nothing to do with skin colour I don't see why my dark-skinned Dominican friend (carrying a Dominican cedula) was the only Dominican locked up with the Haitians.
Real talk @drstock
Wasn't there a report in the thread about the initial rounds ups that were going on that related a story of how a light skinned person was riding in a vehicle with dark skin people and they didn't even bother to check her id, but checked everyone else's?

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
yea , like that really happened!
It really does happen. I have not one but two dark skinned cedula carrying Dominicans that have been picked up and detained overnight multiple times. I also have a light skinned Haitian friend here illegally for 20 years that has never been detained. There is a well known restaurant owner here in Sosua whose dark skinned cedula carrying Dominican boyfriend has been picked up twice and detained overnight just in the last few months. It is ALL about skin color when they are patrolling the streets of Sosua,I can tell you that with certainty,I see it every day. When the PD is riding down Pedro Clisante and the side streets they are looking at skin color to determine who they are going to target,plain and simple.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I do not think there is a common criteria in the DR although colour is certainly one. On advice received here on DR1, I took the tint off my front windscreen and since, I have been waved through in every type of road block whereas before I had to stop and engage in conversation. From what I can see in the east, the entire process of rounding up illegal immigrants is most erratic and half hearted.

David B

Aug 31, 2017
For m

Different strokes for different folks.
Of all the government agencies with boots on the ground in this country, speaking from my own personal experience, immigration has been the easiest to deal with.

For my own benefit as a gringo, I'd be interested in hearing why, if it's not too personal. I mean, I assume you weren't necessarily breaking any laws.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
It really does happen. I have not one but two dark skinned cedula carrying Dominicans that have been picked up and detained overnight multiple times. I also have a light skinned Haitian friend here illegally for 20 years that has never been detained. There is a well known restaurant owner here in Sosua whose dark skinned cedula carrying Dominican boyfriend has been picked up twice and detained overnight just in the last few months. It is ALL about skin color when they are patrolling the streets of Sosua,I can tell you that with certainty,I see it every day. When the PD is riding down Pedro Clisante and the side streets they are looking at skin color to determine who they are going to target,plain and simple.
bogus

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
For m

For my own benefit as a gringo, I'd be interested in hearing why, if it's not too personal. I mean, I assume you weren't necessarily breaking any laws.
Extortion/ Money.
Pay it and go home or stand your ground and sleep in a cell for a night.
They grab whoever they see at night and throw them into their truck to fill the cells for the evening. Ask any Dominican you know and I guarantee you they know someone who has experienced the same treatment.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
yea , like that really happened!
I'm fed up with being called a liar by people who think they know everything here, as I was when I mentioned this before. You may say I'm a liar again, but I SAW this Dominican citizen locked up in a cell with the only other inhabitants being Haitians. In this particular case, she was released when the boss cop returned and pronounced her cedula legal.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I'm fed up with being called a liar by people who think they know everything here, as I was when I mentioned this before. You may say I'm a liar again, but I SAW this Dominican citizen locked up in a cell with the only other inhabitants being Haitians. In this particular case, she was released when the boss cop returned and pronounced her cedula legal.
A more dignified reply than he deserves.
You put the rock in the hole his FACE!!

David B

Aug 31, 2017
Extortion/ Money.
Pay it and go home or stand your ground and sleep in a cell for a night.
They grab whoever they see at night and throw them into their truck to fill the cells for the evening. Ask any Dominican you know and I guarantee you they know someone who has experienced the same treatment.

Haha happened to me in Sosúa during the quarantine. Fortunately, it wasn't my money that got handed over. Thanks for the reply. I was just wondering what new types of situations I should avoid as a generally law-abiding white boy.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Haha happened to me in Sosúa during the quarantine. Fortunately, it wasn't my money that got handed over. Thanks for the reply. I was just wondering what new types of situations I should avoid as a generally law-abiding white boy.
The last time I was detained by those idiots was Spring of 2017. Now a days I make a conscious effort to avoid them if/ when I leave my comfort zone after 9pm. Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.