Migracion Bus Full of Haitians in Sosua Abajo today

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Just checked my Haitian friends visa ( not a work visa ) Issued 02/DIC/2019 Expiry 30/Nov/2020

1 year
Yes, valid for 1 year, but how long can one stay in the DR during that year per Dominican Law? Is it a tourist visa?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
According to a Haitian I was with yesterday, he has a one year visa, but he has to go back and get a "carnet" every three months.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Doesn't your Haitian friend know what type of visa he applied for?
Actually I just noticed I have 2 on my phone. Still, all they say is Repubica Dominicana Visa. They have a bluish background.

NALs

Polls Forum Moderator
Jan 20, 2003
For example, this is mine (quite precise, I must say) and it's quite typical for Dominicans that the entire island isn't pink. Plus, notice what it says at the bottom on the left.

NALs

Polls Forum Moderator
Jan 20, 2003
Over 1,000 Haitians were caught attempting to illegally enter the DR over the course of a few days.

Look how they appear in the infrared cameras in drones scouring the border during the nights.

This report is from March 30, 2020.

Michael DR

Jun 7, 2020
Earth
So basically, zero confirmation - just assumption. Pretty sure it is the case but in reality this is pure assumption. Hey - how do you recognize a Haitian? Hey moderator - this whole post is about race. Ughhhh
I've known people from Haiti with proper documentation to be working and living in the DR, that have been randomly grabbed and put on said buses. I've also heard of cousins, etc, Dominicans who happen to be dark and were without their ID for whatever reason also get picked up. My point? Even when you're legal and even if you've done nothing wrong (except perhaps not carrying your cedula and that is not grounds to be threatened with deportation) you can be detained without cause and even deported if someone decides for you that that's your fate.

Reactions: drstock and Billp16