Migracion Bus Full of Haitians in Sosua Abajo today

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
We should to make a new plan, to kick all them outside
I suggest amending the constitution for the 19th time---- in 2021, of course---- and creating 3 committees to come up with another 34 migration laws. That should solve it.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Of course. Haitians can apply for a tourist visa and come here legally. Some do. Some have work visas. Those that have visas and came here legally won't be deported.

And they don’t seek low paying jobs here.
These are traders, students, professionals, etc...
The problem is the illegal migration, not legal.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Sugar will be very expensive, because they are no peoples tu cut the sugar cane
We don´t want to see haitians anymore in Dominican republic, but they make all bad job in dominican Rep.
Interesting second post! But you are right, if they are all kicked out, there will be nobody to do the sugar, construction, trash collection etc. Maybe "we don't want Haitians here" is not the answer.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Interesting second post! But you are right, if they are all kicked out, there will be nobody to do the sugar, construction, trash collection etc. Maybe "we don't want Haitians here" is not the answer.
Not true.
Not sure where you reside down here but plenty of Dominicans cleaning the streets of Santiago, trash trucks always Dominicans and several currently doing construction and road work in center of town.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Sugar will be very expensive, because they are no peoples tu cut the sugar cane
We don´t want to see haitians anymore in Dominican republic, but they make all bad job in dominican Rep.
Yeup, just like in Brazil, the largest sugar producer in the world. Australia also produces much sugar. Those places must be suffering because they hardly have any Haitians in their fields!

Not much sugar is produced in the USA, but in South Florida are most of the American sugar plantations. The interesting fact of the South Florida sugar plantations is that they are owned by the same Cuban-American family that owns the sugar plantations of Central Romana. It's a miracle they continue to grow sugar in South Florida. One would think that after the US government got tough with them because they used to import large numbers of Jamaicans to work in their plantations earning meagre wages. They were forced to mechanize and somehow they are still able to produce sugar.

As for Dominican sugar, the current industry started because of the Americans. The Central Romana is the largest exporter and has a yearly revenue of over US$1 billion (no typo). Almost all the sugar is exported to the USA (it has been the case since the Americans created the current Dominican sugar industry and started importing Haitians in the 1920's to work in the plantations, until then Haitians didn't went to the DR in large numbers searching for work) to comply with the quota Washington DC grants to sugar producers in the Dominican Republic at a price higher than the global price for sugar. Its such a profitable business that there has been times when all the sugar produced in the DR is exported tothe USA and extra sugar is imported from Brazil to cover domestic demand. Sweet deal because the USA pays more (American consumers also pay the most for sugar in the world) than the global sugar market while Brazil pays at market prices, making it a very sweet deal for sugar producers.

If you want to see the living "huts" of the greatest private sugar producers and exporters in the Caribbean, search in Google for photos of the Palm Beach, Florida, USA for the billionaires José Pepe Fanjul and Alfonso Fanjul. They know how to play USA politics though, since one brother donates an insane amount of money to the Republican Party and the other brother to the Democrat Party. Whomever becomes the president of the USA, the Fanjul always win!

The gist of it all is that the most expensive sugar price is paid by the American public, no one else. Most of the sugar is produced outside the USA. The inflated price of sugar in the USA is created by the USA government itself via quota and guaranteeing profitability of select sugar producers.

Hmm, where do this billionaire family that lives in the USA make part of its wealth? Aka, they are the largest sugar producers and exporters in the Caribbean.

La Romana is such a tropical place. Ahem, ahem...

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
In the mean time, sugar harvest in Australia.

Where are the Haitians? I don't get it. They should had failed by now. It's impossible to produce cheap sugar without the Haitians and no one cutting with machetes, no bateyes and people living in misery. What is their secret? Unbelivable!

Last edited:

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Yeup, just like in Brazil, the largest sugar producer in the world. Australia also produces much sugar. Those places must be suffering because they hardly have any Haitians in their fields!

Not much sugar is produced in the USA, but in South Florida are most of the American sugar plantations. The interesting fact of the South Florida sugar plantations is that they are owned by the same Cuban-American family that owns the sugar plantations of Central Romana. It's a miracle they continue to grow sugar in South Florida. One would think that after the US government got tough with them because they used to import large numbers of Jamaicans to work in their plantations earning meagre wages. They were forced to mechanize and somehow they are still able to produce sugar.

As for Dominican sugar, the current industry started because of the Americans. The Central Romana is the largest exporter and has a yearly revenue of over US$1 billion (no typo). Almost all the sugar is exported to the USA (it has been the case since the Americans created the current Dominican sugar industry and started importing Haitians in the 1920's to work in the plantations, until then Haitians didn't went to the DR in large numbers searching for work) to comply with the quota Washington DC grants to sugar producers in the Dominican Republic at a price higher than the global price for sugar. Its such a profitable business that there has been times when all the sugar produced in the DR is exported tothe USA and extra sugar is imported from Brazil to cover domestic demand. Sweet deal because the USA pays more (American consumers also pay the most for sugar in the world) than the global sugar market while Brazil pays at market prices, making it a very sweet deal for sugar producers.

If you want to see the living "huts" of the greatest private sugar producers and exporters in the Caribbean, search in Google for photos of the Palm Beach, Florida, USA for the billionaires José Pepe Fanjul and Alfonso Fanjul. They know how to play USA politics though, since one brother donates an insane amount of money to the Republican Party and the other brother to the Democrat Party. Whomever becomes the president of the USA, the Fanjul always win!

The gist of it all is that the most expensive sugar price is paid by the American public, no one else. Most of the sugar is produced outside the USA. The inflated price of sugar in the USA is created by the USA government itself via quota and guaranteeing profitability of select sugar producers.

Hmm, where do this billionaire family that lives in the USA make part of its wealth? Aka, they are the largest sugar producers and exporters in the Caribbean.

There was a period when the British became the main importes, and this was during the crisis of WWII, but I suppose the reason for this was due to it being part of the larger American package of aid to them and the rest of the allies. The info is on Arturo Martínez Moya's "La Caña Da Para Todo" which is equal parts history equal parts economic study about the path of sugar cultivation in this island, if you want to look it up.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
There was a period when the British became the main importes, and this was during the crisis of WWII, but I suppose the reason for this was due to it being part of the larger American package of aid to them and the rest of the allies. The info is on Arturo Martínez Moya's "La Caña Da Para Todo" which is equal parts history equal parts economic study about the path of sugar cultivation in this island, if you want to look it up.
Interesting to note how many folks have watched that video and the number of likes and dislikes. I'm sure they don't care.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Interesting to note how many folks have watched that video and the number of likes and dislikes. I'm sure they don't care.
Really hard to have any sort of sympathy for them, considering that their behavior in pre-revolutionary Cuba wasn't that much different, as in, shafting the common Cuban jibaro due to preferring Haitian and/or West Indian cane cutters.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I guess if the Haitians had money to pay the overstay fee when they leave they would leave them alone. But they never leave, and if they do, they never pay the fee and prefer transit through the mountains. At least the illegal ones.
Haitians don't enter on tourist cards. They are either have visas to be legally in the DR or they don't. Overstay fees don't apply to Haitians.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Of course. Haitians can apply for a tourist visa and come here legally. Some do. Some have work visas. Those that have visas and came here legally won't be deported.
Not the same tourist card people from the EU and North America enter on.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002

Didn't Papa Doc empty out Haitian prisons and contract out the workers to Trujillo in the 50's work in the cane fields?

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
I didn't say tourist card - I said tourist visa. They are two different things. You have to apply for a tourist visa.
Yep - and last I heard the tourist or visitor visa for Haitians ( ie not a work visa ) was around 15,000 pesos. Good for 1 year

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Yep - and last I heard the tourist or visitor visa for Haitians ( ie not a work visa ) was around 15,000 pesos. Good for 1 year
I think work visas are for 1 year, but I'd be surprised if they are giving tourist visas for 1 year. Maybe valid for one year, but limited to something like a 90 day stay(?).

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Not sure. Like I said, I have bought 4. Never noticed if they said 90 days max stay.
Many countries like the US and Brazil offer multi-year visas, but they're only good for a max stay of 6 months in one year. I've never heard of a country that issued a tourist visa for more than a stay of 6 months(?). The DR constitution only allows a tourist to stay for a max of 60 days.

Billp16

Jul 20, 2018
Just drove back into the Sosua area from the Puerto Plata side of the main highway and there was a Migracion Bus nearly full of Haitians and a pickup truck with one more in the back. They turned into Maranatha to round up

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
I think work visas are for 1 year, but I'd be surprised if they are giving tourist visas for 1 year. Maybe valid for one year, but limited to something like a 90 day stay(?).
Just checked my Haitian friends visa ( not a work visa ) Issued 02/DIC/2019 Expiry 30/Nov/2020

1 year