Mike Pompeo coming to DR today

Jan 9, 2004
I hope this means Pompeo will be whispering in Abinader's ear that the DR needs to stop being so cosy with China !

https://dr1.com/wordpress/2020/08/14/michael-pompeo-looking-forward-to-visiting/

Wondering what reminders will be whispered? That 50+% of all Dominican exports go to the US, or that 80% of all remittances come from the US, or perhaps that 33% of all tourists come from the US.

And/or perhaps a thank you to the DR for taking a firm stand (unlike other members of the security council) and supporting a US resolution in the UN to continue arms sanctions against Iran.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Wondering what reminders will be whispered. That 50+% of all Dominican exports go to the US, or that 80% of all remittances come from the US, or perhaps that 33% of all tourists come from the US.

And/or perhaps a thank you to the DR for taking a firm stand (unlike other members of the security council) and supporting a US resolution in the UN to continue arms sanctions against Iran.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
You forgot Baseball. Go Yankees!

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Wondering what reminders will be whispered? That 50+% of all Dominican exports go to the US, or that 80% of all remittances come from the US, or perhaps that 33% of all tourists come from the US.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Or perhaps that USSOUTHCOM has been, and will continue patrolling the waters of the Caribbean Sea.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Rather than creating a new thread for this, I'll post it here.

Luis Abinader arrived at the National Congress in a Tesla. First time in the world a president travels in one to his taking power ceremony.

Does this means what his policy will be regarding the environment?

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
By chance, did the UK, Canada, Germany, Italy, Russia or China send representatives to the swearing in ceremony?
I have neither seen, nor heard anything in regards.

Reactions: Jumbo

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The main part of the event when Luis Abinader became the 67th president of the Dominican Republic.

• Love
Reactions: Caonabo
Jan 9, 2004
Rather than creating a new thread for this, I'll post it here.

Luis Abinader arrived at the National Congress in a Tesla. First time in the world a president travels in one to his taking power ceremony.

Does this means what his policy will be regarding the environment?

That particular Tesla has a very short travel range due to its extra weight added by its bulletproof modifications..........hope they brought the charging gear along.

Good luck to Abinader...........there is certainly excitement and a sense of hope/optimism...............but will he deliver.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
I commend them voting in support of the US resolution.
Lets hope this doesn't draw to much attention from Iran.
Last thing we need in the DR is a terrorist attack. Would
be very easy for them to do given the lack of security.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The president and the first lady paying their respects to the three bravest of Dominican men and to whom every Dominican owes their existance as Dominican men and women, and all foreigners that choose the Dominican Republic and the Dominican people as their home, recurrent vacation spot, retirement, etc.

At the Santa María La Menor Cathedral, Oldest Cathedral of the New World; where the president, his family, government and military officials assisted for the official Te Deum mass of thanks to God, as required by law and tradition. A part of the mass is in the video below.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Caonabo and aarhus

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Preparation at the National Palace for the arrival of Luis Abinader.

Arrival of the president and the first lady at the National Palace.

• Love
Reactions: Caonabo and Auryn

pokerplayer

Mar 22, 2020
That particular Tesla has a very short travel range due to its extra weight added by its bulletproof modifications..........hope they brought the charging gear along.

Good luck to Abinader...........there is certainly excitement and a sense of hope/optimism...............but will he deliver.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Even with the modifications the Model S could make it from one end of the island to the other on a single charge.

https://www.tesla.com/models

It was an interesting choice of transportation for sure. There are quite a few manufacturers of electric scooters and motorcycles now as well. It will be interesting to see if they will be able to penetrate the market here.

Reactions: aarhus
Jan 9, 2004
Even with the modifications the Model S could make it from one end of the island to the other on a single charge.

https://www.tesla.com/models

It was an interesting choice of transportation for sure. There are quite a few manufacturers of electric scooters and motorcycles now as well. It will be interesting to see if they will be able to penetrate the market here.

Well if there was no stop and go traffic in Santo Domingo or elsewhere to sit in and they left the AC off the entire way........they might do it.

But when you add in the extra weight from armoring the vehicle...........and the heat degradation from current temperatures.............it is not even close.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

pokerplayer

Mar 22, 2020
Well if there was no stop and go traffic in Santo Domingo or elsewhere to sit in and they left the AC off the entire way........they might do it.

But when you add in the extra weight from armoring the vehicle...........and the heat degradation from current temperatures.............it is not even close.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
It has regenerative braking. The range slightly improves in stop and go traffic. I've got a friend who owns a Model 3 in Florida. It's hotter there and he has no issues in the nasty Orlando traffic. I was skeptical until I took a ride. My mind was instantly changed and I'll never buy an ICE vehicle in the US.

Have you ridden in one? They are fantastic vehicles.

Jan 9, 2004
It has regenerative braking. The range slightly improves in stop and go traffic. I've got a friend who owns a Model 3 in Florida. It's hotter there and he has no issues in the nasty Orlando traffic. I was skeptical until I took a ride. My mind was instantly changed and I'll never buy an ICE vehicle in the US.

Have you ridden in one? They are fantastic vehicles.

I am familiar with the X and the S.........and the armoring process as well. My clients (car dealers) have imported three vehicles and had them armored and outfitted for individual and corporate use in the DR.

That particular S pictured has an additional 1,000 pounds of weight and you can throw away Tesla's claims of 407 miles of range...........just as you can throw away EPA city/highway mileage claims.

They are both tested in controlled environments and under ideal conditions.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

pokerplayer

Mar 22, 2020
I am familiar with the X and the S.........and the armoring process as well. My clients (car dealers) have imported three vehicles and had them armored and outfitted for individual and corporate use in the DR.

That particular S pictured has an additional 1,000 pounds of weight and you can throw away Tesla's claims of 407 miles of range...........just as you can throw away EPA city/highway mileage claims.

They are both tested in controlled environments and under ideal conditions.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Interesting. So it increased from 5,000 pounds to 6,000 pounds. What is the range with the added weight? Did you get a chance to ride in one?