Mike Pompeo coming to DR today

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
By chance, did the UK, Canada, Germany, Italy, Russia or China send representatives to the swearing in ceremony?
I have neither seen, nor heard anything in regards.

Most foreign countries will be represented by their ambassadors in Santo Domingo to avoid travel at a time when the Dominican Republic is experiencing an upturn in infections, with nearly a thousand new cases daily.

(I know DT is not the best source)

Reactions: Caonabo

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
There are those who will say they were there, and there are those who were there.
Appearances are everything. Always has been, always will be.
Of course, I do not expect ALL the HEADS of states to arrive, but I would like to see a roll call of delegates or representatives. Especially of those nations who have a decent representation within RD.
It is a respect factor.
After all, if you invite a person for lunch/dinner, you know who attends....and who does not.

Jan 9, 2004
Interesting. So it increased from 5,000 pounds to 6,000 pounds. What is the range with the added weight? Did you get a chance to ride in one?

Yes.....however not in an armored one............but that extra weight pushes its GVW to the maximums. So in addition to armoring, the vehicle has to also undergo suspension modification etc. The 2020 S comes with a longer range battery than the 2019. 2019 claimed 325 miles fully charged.

As very few outside physical details changed about the Tesla S since its inception, it is hard to determine which year Tesla the President-elect was riding in. And even harder to know how much mileage degradation has occurred because of the armoring and suspension modifications..........only that the extra weight creates significant drag, likely meaningfully impairing its range from Tesla factory claims.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: pokerplayer

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Yes.....however not in an armored one............but that extra weight pushes its GVW to the maximums. So in addition to armoring, the vehicle has to also undergo suspension modification etc. The 2020 S comes with a longer range battery than the 2019. 2019 claimed 325 miles fully charged.

As very few outside physical details changed about the Tesla S since its inception, it is hard to determine which year Tesla the President-elect was riding in. And even harder to know how much mileage degradation has occurred because of the armoring and suspension modifications..........only that the extra weight creates significant drag, likely meaningfully impairing its range from Tesla factory claims.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Real mileage on a 2-year old Tesla 3 with AC working is about 240-250 miles, tops. Not enough to go visit grandma for a lot of people

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There are those who will say they were there, and there are those who were there.
Appearances are everything. Always has been, always will be.
Of course, I do not expect ALL the HEADS of states to arrive, but I would like to see a roll call of delegates or representatives. Especially of those nations who have a decent representation within RD.
It is a respect factor.
After all, if you invite a person for lunch/dinner, you know who attends....and who does not.
The President of Haiti and Guinea Bissau were there and they were the first head of states saluted by the president when he started to give his first speech at the National Congress. Saluting the Haitian president first (well, technically second since the very first was the president of the National Congress) didn't surprised me, but I was definitely surprised that it was followed by a salute to the president of Guinea Bissau before saluting the representatives of the United States and of Spain. While it was nice that the president of Guinea Bissau attended the ceremony, reality is that its not as important to the DR as the USA and Spain. Those countries should had been saluted before Guinea Bissau. There was also a special mention of Adriano Espaillat, who was present and is a senator at the Senate of New York. There were other representatives. I think the Covid situation made others not attend, including Danilo Medina himself.

You can hear the salutes to many of the distinguish visitors to the ceremony.

The distinguish guests were treated later in the day with an official meal and meeting with the president at the National Palace.

Last edited:
Reactions: Caonabo

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It has regenerative braking. The range slightly improves in stop and go traffic. I've got a friend who owns a Model 3 in Florida. It's hotter there and he has no issues in the nasty Orlando traffic. I was skeptical until I took a ride. My mind was instantly changed and I'll never buy an ICE vehicle in the US.

Have you ridden in one? They are fantastic vehicles.
Regenerative braking (unless heading down a steep hill) violates the laws of physics. Energy is neither created nor destroyed. In this case kinetic energy is spent to reach a velocity which would be needed for any generation from activating brakes, or a restart from a stop, takes way more from the battery than braking on a flat surface could come close to replacing.
Just like that silly stop/start technology where your motor shuts off when you stop for a turn

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
The President of Haiti and Guinea Bissau were there and they were the first head of states saluted by the president when he started to give his first speech at the National Congress. Saluting the Haitian president first (well, technically second since the very first was the president of the National Congress) didn't surprised me, but I was definitely surprised that it was followed by a salute to the president of Guinea Bissau before saluting the representatives of the United States and of Spain. While it was nice that the president of Guinea Bissau attended the ceremony, reality is that its not as important to the DR as the USA and Spain. Those countries should had been saluted before Guinea Bissau. There was also a special mention of Adriano Espaillat, who was present and is a senator at the Senate of New York. There were other representatives. I think the Covid situation made others not attend, including Danilo Medina himself.

You can hear the salutes to many of the distinguish visitors to the ceremony.

The distinguish guests were treated later in the day with an official meal and meeting with the president at the National Palace.

The speech writers for President Abinader were 100% correct in maintaining diplomatic protocol. The heads of state MUST be acknowledged in deserved order. Anything less would be a slight, even if not intended. You never make reference to a consigliere of one family, before acknowledging the head of another family. That is a major no-no.

Adriano Espaillat is a congressman from the US of A State of New York, not a senator.
He is the first Dominican-American member of that Congress.

Reactions: Joseph NY2STI

pokerplayer

Mar 22, 2020
Regenerative braking (unless heading down a steep hill) violates the laws of physics. Energy is neither created nor destroyed. In this case kinetic energy is spent to reach a velocity which would be needed for any generation from activating brakes, or a restart from a stop, takes way more from the battery than braking on a flat surface could come close to replacing.
Just like that silly stop/start technology where your motor shuts off when you stop for a turn
You are right about the physics but wrong about what's happening with electric vehicles and regenerative braking. It's more complicated than just regenerative braking. All vehicles lose efficiency as their speed increases. It's worse with most EV's as they don't have multiple gears. Regardless, transforming some of the kinetic energy to stored chemical energy does boost efficiency. Otherwise it's just transformed to useless heat energy.

Here's a link that has some basic information:

Ye cannae change the laws of physics, Jim!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The speech writers for President Abinader were 100% correct in maintaining diplomatic protocol. The heads of state MUST be acknowledged in deserved order. Anything less would be a slight, even if not intended. You never make reference to a consigliere of one family, before acknowledging the head of another family. That is a major no-no.
That's not the only time Abinader improvised (though I'm not sure if he improvised when giving salutations at the beginning of his speech). When the swearing into office where the president and vice president need to say exactly what the president of the National Congress says (in this case read by Eduardo Estrella), he didn't said a couple of words and switched around certain sentences. The vice president follow her protocol to the tee.

Eduardo Estrella was probably following the "deja eso así" (leave things alone) attitude that explains a lot of things that has happened to the DR not as planned. If Estrella was me, I would interrupt the sworn ceremony and asked him to repeat word for word what is said and start over. In certain situations protocol takes precedence to actual person not following it. Hopefully it doesn't mean anything, but it could be a tell tale sign of what's to come. Becoming president is a big deal, but even then you shouldn't let the position get to your head.

Here is the section of the event. Notice what has been said.

Last edited:
Reactions: aarhus

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
You are right about the physics but wrong about what's happening with electric vehicles and regenerative braking. It's more complicated than just regenerative braking. All vehicles lose efficiency as their speed increases. It's worse with most EV's as they don't have multiple gears. Regardless, transforming some of the kinetic energy to stored chemical energy does boost efficiency. Otherwise it's just transformed to useless heat energy.

Here's a link that has some basic information:

Ye cannae change the laws of physics, Jim!
Link doesn't seem to work

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
That's not the only time Abinader improvised (though I'm not sure if he improvised when giving salutations at the beginning of his speech). When the swearing into office where the president and vice president need to say exactly what the president of the National Congress says (in this case read by Eduardo Estrella), he didn't said a couple of words and switched around certain sentences. The vice president follow her protocol to the tee.

Eduardo Estrella was probably following the "deja eso así" (leave things alone) attitude that explains a lot of things that has happened to the DR not as planned. If Estrella was me, I wouldn't interrupted the sworn ceremony and asked him to repeat word for word what is said and start over. In certain situations protocol takes precedence to actual person not following it. Hopefully it doesn't mean anything, but it could be a tell tale sign of what's to come. Becoming president is a big deal, but even then you shouldn't let the position get to your head.

Here is the sworning into power part of the event. Notice what has been said.

NALS what do you mean by this ?

“Hopefully it doesn't mean anything, but it could be a tell tale sign of what's to come. Becoming president is a big deal, but even then you shouldn't let the position get to your head.”

You being Dominican you probably have a gut feeling

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
NAL's may have been on to something, whether he meant to or not.

After a bit of reading, I too, am now a bit concerned over this business regarding General Umaro Sissoco Embaló, President of the Republic of Guinea-Bissau and Supreme Commander of their Armed Forces. Not only being the third person acknowledged within the inauguration speech, but with his attendance in general. It would be interesting to know who exactly invited him, and what his presence was meant to signify?

Was it the new administration?

Is he a returning ally of the past PLD administrations?

Is he a friend of the Haitian president? (Both nations share the common language of Creole)

Was he sent as an intermediary of certain South American businessman? Namely, those in Colombia, Venezuela, Peru and Bolivia?

Most persons would be hard pressed to find the Republic of Guinea Bissau on a map, let alone this piece of very disturbing information regarding that nation:

"Beginning around 2005, drug traffickers based in Latin America began to use Guinea-Bissau, along with several neighbouring West African nations, as a transshipment point to Europe for cocaine. The nation was described by a United Nations official as being at risk for becoming a "narco-state". The government and the military have done little to stop drug trafficking, which increased after the 2012 coup d'etat. The government of Guinea-Bissau continues to be ravaged by illegal drug distribution, according to The Week magazine. Guinea-Bissau is a member of the Organisation for the Harmonisation of Business Law in Africa (OHADA)"

How soon before others start asking questions as well?

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Posting #32 was in regards to NAL's posting #25 within this thread line as it pertains to General Umaro Sissoco Embaló, President of the Republic of Guinea-Bissau.
Since not entirely related to the subject matter of this original posting, I created a new thread line to discuss the questionable state of RD/Guinea-Bissau relations.

Reactions: aarhus

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
NALS what do you mean by this ?

“Hopefully it doesn't mean anything, but it could be a tell tale sign of what's to come. Becoming president is a big deal, but even then you shouldn't let the position get to your head.”

You being Dominican you probably have a gut feeling
Just noticed those discrepancies.