Minister of Economy goes on record in favor of three grounds for abortion, he says PRM party position is to vote in favor

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Miguel-Ceara-Acento-1024x683.jpg

Economic Minister Miguel Ceara Hatton openly backed the inclusion of the three grounds for abortion among the Penal Code amendments. He said the executive board of the ruling Modern Revolutionary Party had decided in this regard. The PRM is the majority party in the Chamber of Deputies and the Senate.

Ceara Hatton said the three exceptions for the suspending of a pregnancy are a public health problem. He said the total abortion ban is a perverse source of social segregation.

Ceara Hatton said: “A woman without means gets the worst health assistance when deciding to interrupt a pregnancy, while a woman of means can access the best care.”

He stressed: “If someone considers that it is a sin to suspend the pregnancy for the three causes, that person has all the right to think that way. However, those that oppose the three exceptions do not have the right to prevent the solution...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: melphis

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Again, this is in regards to the three exceptions, not a total reversal of the abortion law.
1. The woman’s life is at risk;
2. There has been rape or incest;
3. There is a fetal malformation incompatible with life.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It can, but will it? I guess we will see shortly. However that is the only reason I would find it acceptable.

Many, many years ago, late 1920s, a doctor came to my grandparents’ home to deliver a baby. Child was too large and doctor gave my grandfather choice of saving his wife or his son. My mother was a little girl, and it traumatized her to see that dead baby. Grandma lived to have many more children (11 lived). Sometimes horrible decisions have to be made.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Ceara Hatton said: “A woman without means gets the worst health assistance when deciding to interrupt a pregnancy, while a woman of means can access the best care.”

And it is the women without means who dies in these situations. Giving her and her family the choice means giving her life, and the opportunity to continue raising her existing children or the choice to possibly have more.

He stressed: “If someone considers that it is a sin to suspend the pregnancy for the three causes, that person has all the right to think that way. However, those that oppose the three exceptions do not have the right to prevent the solution of a public health problem that puts at risk the lives of women and deepens the social inequality that has characterized this country. To continue a pregnancy until the end putting at risk her own life (the woman) is neither fair nor humane.”

“Nor humane”. Make the choice for you and your family. But don’t for a second deny these 3 exceptions for others.
Don’t save your wife or daughters life if that is your belief. You’re entitled to it, but there are very few who would make that choice if they were placed in that situation.
A poor girl from the barrio who was raped by her uncle at 13? It’s not the baby’s fault, the girl should bear the child? For me personally, that is disgusting to force that upon the girl, but go ahead and believe that’s fair if you so desire.
People should have the choice to save the women in their lives and not watch them die.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
AlterEgo, your family story is important because it shows what that choice allowed your grandmother and her family. If the baby were born today, your grandparents likely would not have had to make that choice and mother and baby would have probably been just fine. Modern medicine saves lives. Many Dominican women do not have access to modern medicine.

The debate in one thread on the 3 exceptions topic was that these exceptions are so rare and basically therefore not needed. Dominican women living in poverty often do not have access to modern medicine. Anyone who has visited the maternal part of a public hospital has seen this. For poor Dominican women, these exceptions may not be so rare, particularly to save a mothers life. Sadly, rape and incest are also much more common than many would think.

So when people say the 3 exceptions should be thrown out and not allowed, I don’t believe for a second that they would make the same decision for their family.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Off-topic comments removed and will continue to be removed.

Reminder: discussions of religion (and race) are off-topic and in the Daily Headline News forum especially, the discussion should be exclusively focused on the subject of the news item in question. Please refer to the thread title and re-read the news story if in any doubt.

I'm going to have to copy-paste this in every thread at this rate.