Minister of Education blasts the public education situation; Says students are not learning

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Angel-Hernandez-Diario-Digital-RD--e1660224187675.jpeg

New Minister of Education Angel Hernandez blasted the situation at the Ministry of Education on his first day on the job. On Wednesday, 10 August he said that the more than 250,000 employees and the RD$250 billion spent has all gone to waste because the students are not learning.

“Anything else is wasting time and that is what we are doing: wasting time,” said Hernandez before an assembly with regional and educational district directors.

“So, it makes no sense to make such a big investment for 10 years when that the money has been lost,” he said.

Hernandez stated that all efforts should now be focused on the classroom as the center for learning.

“Up to now, the level of development we have achieved has been precarious,” stated the newly appointed minister. He said that according to national and international evaluations, “learning is minimal.”

Faced...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Okay. So he identified the problem - which we all knew. Now tell us the action plan.
Lindsey, what would you do? Obviously the problem needs to be tackled in stages. So how would you start? Also, would you advertise the need to make Dominicanos/as, aware of the problem and how their long term economic health depends a lot on how much they improve their education system?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
This is good news. I've often said that there are so many clever Dominicans with little or no formal education. What they lack in proper schooling they make up with ingenuity.

If this Dominican brain power can be harnessed and schooled in an effective modern school system, this country could be at the top of its league.

Many countries use education (or the lack of) as a method of controlling of the population. If you keep your people dumb, you can govern them more easily. I think it is becoming more apparent, that the successful Dominicans who enjoy a decent salary or own lucrative businesses are products of expensive private education as children. Although I think that the further education / universities is still lacking.

My experiences with so called professional Dominicans: A nurse that doesn't know that H2O is water. An aircraft mechanic that doesn't know the boiling point of water at sea level. A builder who doesn't understand the metric system.

Abinader's administration has done a lot to combat the institutionalised corruption that has plagued the DR for many generations. The next step is education. Let's hope they can follow through.

Wax on, wax off........

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Okay. So he identified the problem - which we all knew. Now tell us the action plan.
So true there are so many Dominicans without the ability to plan, reason and make a decision.
Everyday you see it even in the simplest of things.
The old phrase a mind is a terrible thing to waste - applies to millions in this country.
Ask them to tell you how much is 10x6 and they will look for a calculator.

The world is not all on YouTube and TikTok but so many will never know that

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Since the education system is broken, there is the opportunity to construct a system that actually educates.
Real education that provides practical lifetime skills.
Remember that those with PhDs call plumbers.

It should be noted that I do not know what the boiling point of water is at sea level (a guess would be 100 degrees F).
But if I needed to know it I would just google it.:LOL:
The better question is WHY do I need to know that?
When I want to boil water I just put the amount of water that I need on the stove. Turn on the flame. And wait until I see the bubble forming in the water. That is the boiling point of water that I need to know.

I use a calculator all the time to convert from english to metric all the time because grew up an a country that is backwards like that.
How many square meters are in an acre? 4046.86
Why do I keep that number in my head?
I have I interest in land.

Ask me to explain the concept of the internal combustion engine...suck, push, pow 💥, phooey. Really?
Does my vehicle start when I turn the key? Yes. Then I am good.

Education without purpose is meaningless‼️

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
It should be noted that I do not know what the boiling point of water is at sea level (a guess would be 100 degrees F).
When I want to boil water I just put the amount of water that I need on the stove. Turn on the flame. And wait until I see the bubble forming in the water. That is the boiling point of water that I need to know.
To make my point...
I googled the boiling point of water, I found that it was a 100 C or 212 F
Strangely enough I remember learning that at some point in my life.
I remember now that freezing is 0 C
I am comfortable in my office at 24 C
30 C is hot.
I don't even think in english temp units anymore.

I remember learning metric system in elementary school and thinking "Wow this is so much easier".
I also remember coming home and telling my Dad all about it. He just laughed.
But yet he used the metric system all the time at work so did my Mother.

So, my point that education has to be useful stands.
Maybe it was important in my life at some point to know things like the boiling point of water.
But it is pretty obvious that at this point it is useless information.
What I wish someone had taught me at a young age is the concept of compound interest and buying assets that produce passive income.
I would be rich right now.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Since the education system is broken, there is the opportunity to construct a system that actually educates.
Real education that provides practical lifetime skills.
Remember that those with PhDs call plumbers.

I use a calculator all the time to convert from english to metric all the time because grew up an a country that is backwards like that.
How many square meters are in an acre? 4046.86
Why do I keep that number in my head?
I have I interest in land.

Ask me to explain the concept of the internal combustion engine...suck, push, pow 💥, phooey. Really?
Does my vehicle start when I turn the key? Yes. Then I am good.

Education without purpose is meaningless‼️
Maybe you should Google that boiling point.
Your off by over a factor of 2.
It isn't 100 F even at altitude.
You will be waiting a long time for your vegetables to cook.
I've taken hot tubs hotter than 100 F

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
So true there are so many Dominicans without the ability to plan, reason and make a decision.
Everyday you see it even in the simplest of things.
The old phrase a mind is a terrible thing to waste - applies to millions in this country.

The world is not all on YouTube and TikTok but so many will never know that
How do you teach someone to have common sense? Common sense is lacking a lot here.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Maybe you should Google that boiling point.
See post #11
Your off by over a factor of 2.
It isn't 100 F even at altitude.
You will be waiting a long time for your vegetables to cook.
I've taken hot tubs hotter than 100 F
At least MY education taught me how to read and more importantly how to comprehend the english language.

But since I can visually see the boiling point of water, I have no trouble cooking potatoes, steaming 🥦 , heating water for tea, boiling water for pasta and many other things that don't require me to know the exact number where water boils.

Welcome back!

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
How do you teach someone to have common sense? Common sense is lacking a lot here.
This is a statement I do not agree with.
Common sense is what I see operating here in 🇩🇴
Street smarts. School of hard knocks.
This is a nation of hustlers and survivors.
That is what I have seen during my time living here.

Reactions: Gadfly
Aug 21, 2007
This is a statement I do not agree with.
Common sense is what I see operating here in 🇩🇴
Street smarts. School of hard knocks.
This is a nation of hustlers and survivors.
That is what I have seen during my time living here.

Need to think on that one. I think it is not common sense, but rather creative problem solving. I have seen uneducated people who cannot read assemble items with lots of parts. I, on the other had, need to go step by step in the directions. They can look at something that is not working right, tinker around a bit, and presto! it is fixed. Since they were never taught the "right" way to do things, they just jump in and do it anyway and come up with the same fix.

Aug 21, 2007
Lindsey, what would you do? Obviously the problem needs to be tackled in stages. So how would you start? Also, would you advertise the need to make Dominicanos/as, aware of the problem and how their long term economic health depends a lot on how much they improve their education system?
The fix is not an easy one, as it involves cultural changes from the top down. Government officials who follow processes to make purchases and are honest. Top officials in education, including school system directors who are appointed based on experience and job performance, not political party. (how can a school district ever improve when a new district director is appointed each time the party in power changes? At that point, the new director must begin by learning the job from scratch. When he/she has that accomplished and can start making improvements, a new party is in office and the process starts over again.)

Teachers who are dedicated and not in it for the generous pay (comparatively speaking.) Teachers who have textbooks and other school materials necessary to do their job. (In jamao this year, the director of the elementary school met with parents to say there were not enough desks and chairs. She said parents must buy their own chairs or children would have to sit two to a seat or on the floor.) Teachers who know how to teach STEM, instead of relying on writing on the chalk board every day, telling the students to copy and memorize. And then testing memorization. Teachers who know how to adapt lessons to students' developmental levels. Teachers who know how to test, reteach, and retest for compentency.

Over the years I was always told that there is no value for education here. I do not find that to be true. Rather, I see an inability to help their children learn, since they (where I am) are not educated. Also I see a sense of giving up, a feeling that they are helpless victims of the education system and there is nothing they can do about it. Like the political parties, there are groups within the system that have much control and power. For example, in Jamao we have 5 teachers in our system who live in the US. They continue to take their salaries, then hire a friend (who is not a trained teacher) to be their substitute at a lesser pay. It is like a small business for them. These teachers hold some kind of power and no one will challenge them or even mention how corrupt this practice is.

So. There is so much to fix. It requires a Minister who not only understands education but also how to change the culture within the system. Large companies in other countries have some understanding how to do this when they merge with another company. Changes such as this take years and demand cooperation throughout the system.

I think the President is making cultural changes, so he has some knowledge of how to go about this. I just hope the new Minister of Education also does.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
So true
Very true. I started writing a plan yesterday for tutoring an 11 y.o. boy starting at the end of this month.That very subject was at the top of my list. My plan was to teach him the placement of 1s. 10s. 100s. 1000s and the movement of a decimal. I am going to show him how smart he is and how he can perform "magic" in school. LOL

Reactions: JD Jones

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Over the years I was always told that there is no value for education here.
I understand the sentiment.
I do not find that to be true.
And I agree. Education has value. The problem is beyond the base skills one needs to just function in life (reading, writing and arithmetic. Education is a very personal thing. Involving interests and desires of the person receiving it.

Teach kids what they need to know about life.
Engage them in interesting ways.
Teach them how to think and teach them a work ethic.

I received an education in Public Schools in my country of origin followed by University.
University only taught me how to write really well and how to think.
Nothing practical about the business/job/financial world.

Education must have a use.
Parents must see value in what it is for free.
Many parents here in 🇩🇴 put their kids in whatever private school they can afford.

But more importantly hire real teachers.

By that I mean people who can actually do what they teach.
I took flying lessons from a qualified flight instructor.
My teacher could actually fly.
That is a real teacher.

Reactions: beeza
Aug 21, 2007
I understand the sentiment.

And I agree. Education has value. The problem is beyond the base skills one needs to just function in life (reading, writing and arithmetic. Education is a very personal thing. Involving interests and desires of the person receiving it.
Yes. I was talking not about university education, but basic education where students actually learn to read, write, and no basic math. That is not the case, at least in the schools I know. In our little pueblo we tutored 60 children ages 11-13 who could not read a single word.

What were the teachers doing all this time?