Minister of Education insists on developing public school textbooks

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Angel-Hernandez-Diario-Libre-1024x683.png

Hoy newspaper carries a letter in which Education Minister Angel Hernandez defends the Ministry of Education’s decision to publish textbooks for the public school students. The Ministry, over the years has been affected by major book scams, many of which were inherited from the previous incumbent. Now the Ministry wants to leave only the printing to the private sector.

Education Minister Angel Hernandez defends that by controlling the editorial process, the Ministry will ensure quality. Billions in savings are also intended.

In a letter to the executive director of Hoy newspaper, Bienvenido Álvarez Vega, Hernandez makes the point that of 21 countries in Ibero America, only four buy textbooks in the open market. They are Spain, Portugal, Mexico and Argentina. Hernandez writes that in the others, the Ministry of Education elaborates and edits them, leaving only the printing...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Textbooks are increasingly being phased out of classrooms in the developed world. Access to tech, printing costs, and the fact they go obsolete so quickly are the main reasons.

But hey, every Dominican child has a device so they can access their textbooks online and reduce costs.

Textbooks are a way to launder money.

It’s intentional and calculated.

Aug 21, 2007
Textbooks are increasingly being phased out of classrooms in the developed world. Access to tech, printing costs, and the fact they go obsolete so quickly are the main reasons.

But hey, every Dominican child has a device so they can access their textbooks online and reduce costs.

But without textbooks, there is little education. Most teachers I have encountered have little knowledge how to go about their profession.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I agree with you , Auryn .It seems that Covid restrictions accelerated the move away from school books but my concern was the fact that a government department instead of acknowledged authors would be the source ,whether in printed form or online and that reeks of a situation as is found in China where children are indoctrinated with government propaganda at an early age.

Jan 9, 2004
I agree with you , Auryn .It seems that Covid restrictions accelerated the move away from school books but my concern was the fact that a government department instead of acknowledged authors would be the source ,whether in printed form or online and that reeks of a situation as is found in China where children are indoctrinated with government propaganda at an early age.

To your point, if you read closely the other thread involving the warehoused books and supplies, the government alludes to the fact that those warehoused books were also written with a bias, likely toward the political party under whose watch they were written.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
When I said obsolete, I wasn’t referring to bias. Although that’s definitely a part of it.

The main problem is that they can’t be updated to include new factual information.

That being said, I remember learning from this smallish social studies book probably published in the 70s or at least before I was born. It was about a group of people living on an island and went through the development of their trade, political, and economic system. It had open ended questions and would still have some merit 50 years later.

So when they’re done right and not used as a means to steal funds, they’re priceless. I would still use parts of that old book if I were teaching social studies.

Jan 9, 2004
When I said obsolete, I wasn’t referring to bias. Although that’s definitely a part of it.

The main problem is that they can’t be updated to include new factual information.

That being said, I remember learning from this smallish social studies book probably published in the 70s or at least before I was born. It was about a group of people living on an island and went through the development of their trade, political, and economic system. It had open ended questions and would still have some merit 50 years later.

So when they’re done right and not used as a means to steal funds, they’re priceless. I would still use parts of that old book if I were teaching social studies.
Your book sounds like "Lord of the Flies."

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

I haven't been inside a formal school for over 35 years. What does it look like now without textbooks?

Aug 21, 2007
I haven't been inside a formal school for over 35 years. What does it look like now without textbooks?
desks in rows. chalk board. lots of writing on the chalk board. bored students copying for hours. teacher sitting at his/her desk looking at social media.

My classic story of education here. We were tutoring reading to children who could not read a single word. I went into the classroom to call another student for tutoring. About 40 names of animals were written on the chalk board. The science lesson for the day. The children were to copy all the words and memorize them. These were the same children we were teaching how to read. Meanwhile the teacher sat at her desk looking at her phone.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
For the haves- textbooks are online with aligned videos, quizzes, and interactive labs/games. Scores and areas of concern get sent to the teacher as soon as students finish.

They’re organized the same way, with each chapter being a separate link. Teachers can send students the link to the textbook, or project it for the class, or cast it to a big screen tv. VR is also used in many classrooms.

There are cool Math programs that give an assessment test to place kids at their level, which then provide practice lessons and quizzes that build required progressive skills. The teacher can see the student progress and attempts in real time.

Whether we like it or not, it’s what the future will be.

For the have nots- various degrees of what Lindsey describes unfortunately.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
desks in rows. chalk board. lots of writing on the chalk board. bored students copying for hours. teacher sitting at his/her desk looking at social media.

My classic story of education here. We were tutoring reading to children who could not read a single word. I went into the classroom to call another student for tutoring. About 40 names of animals were written on the chalk board. The science lesson for the day. The children were to copy all the words and memorize them. These were the same children we were teaching how to read. Meanwhile the teacher sat at her desk looking at her phone.
My wife makes all the teachers put their phones in the office. They are allowed them at breaktime or if they have to contact a parent. Yes, the copying off the black board is annoying and serves no useful purpose.

Jan 9, 2004
Life on Paradise Island: Economic Life on an Imaginary Island by William Harmon Wilson.

It teaches the progression of free market economics. Originally published in 1970.

Thank You for this reference.

I have ordered a copy for a young Dominican that I have been mentoring. Fortunately he reads and understands English, and likes all things economy/financial related.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Thank You for this reference.

I have ordered a copy for a young Dominican that I have been mentoring. Fortunately he reads and understands English, and likes all things economy/financial related.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
There’s a free PDF! It’s been out of print for ages so I hope it wasn’t expensive.

It also doesn’t have much for color, like those old books that just had black and a single other color for pictures. So it would be cheap to print.

Life on Paradise Island PDF

It is very, very dated. If I were using it there are parts I’d leave out. Mostly the photos- they don’t serve much purpose and would save on printing costs.

Jan 9, 2004
There’s a free PDF! It’s been out of print for ages so I hope it wasn’t expensive.

It also doesn’t have much for color, like those old books that just had black and a single other color for pictures. So it would be cheap to print.

It is very, very dated. If I were using it there are parts I’d leave out. Mostly the photos- they don’t serve much purpose and would save on printing costs.

Thank you again for the free pdf. I did scan the pdf briefly online and was also able to find a copy of the book which I have ordered. It was not very expensive, at least not as compared to the cost of financial ignorance over one’s lifetime.

What I liked about the book is that it taught lessons in a way that an early teen might enjoy……..and grasp.

Having witnessed first hand the DR “education” system, even in many of the private schools, those kids need all the extra help they can get.

Books and supplies warehoused for years, like the watered down school milk scandal some years ago and the oh so many others, only underscores that need.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: Auryn
Jan 9, 2004

I received an old copy today. It is 144 pages including drawigs and appendix.

The foreword indicates it was written for junior/middle school students.............which is the exact age group of the Dominican student I mentor.

A bio on the author as written by his son;

Too bad someone does not update/translate this book and bring it back to the classroom. It would make a great foundation for a class in financial literacy......

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I received an old copy today. It is 144 pages including drawigs and appendix.

The foreword indicates it was written for junior/middle school students.............which is the exact age group of the Dominican student I mentor.

A bio on the author as written by his son;

Too bad someone does not update/translate this book and bring it back to the classroom. It would make a great foundation for a class in financial literacy......

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
That link is where is first found the actual title. I had to message my former principal to ask the name because I could picture it but couldn’t remember.

Glad you like it.