Missing Dog

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
"Rocky" is the name that my girlfriend has chosen for her chihuahua. The only thing we're missing is the dog. I have no idea whether associations analogous to AKC exist in the D.R. That doesn't matter much to me except that I want a purebred. I've seen enough photos of the breed's standard to know what I'm looking for. If it were the U.S. I'd be looking for a purebred that was pet quality and not show quality.

For Sto. Dom., that means finding a breeder who breeds according to the characteristics of the breed.

Any ideas or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
My parents had 3 purebred chihuahuas. Most I’ve seen in the DR look purebred to me, although many wander free so I doubt they are.
I used to work with a Dominican dog rescue and brought dogs back to Canada for them. One was full grown tiny (teacup) chihuahua named Banana. She would have been worth a fortune now, papered or not. She was breed standard in appearance, but had been rescued and nursed back to health from the street.

You could check a rescue, which is really a better option considering all the dogs needing homes. But if you insist on papered/registered, hopefully someone else chimes in.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Google Dog Rescues in the DR. Some don’t maintain websites but can easily be found on Facebook with contact numbers and email. It will take a bit of research to find what you’re looking for, but it would also be required with breeders.

There is Pet Home RD which is based in Santo Domingo. They seem relatively active, having last updated their Facebook a couple of months ago and their Instagram yesterday.
Ghetto 2 Garden is in Pedro Brand and have an active Facebook page.

One on the north coast, one to check is:

And in Punta Cana:
This is where Banana came from. They have a great updated site and are still very active. If any contact links don’t work, I can send direct info.

Others with active Facebooks worth checking are:

Grupo Rescate RD
Rescued by Love RD

Even without a Facebook account, you should be able to search and get contact info.
All have beautiful dogs of all sizes needing homes.

Reactions: NelleG and AlterEgo