Missionaries Kidnapped in Haiti

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Great news. Final 12 are released.
Wonder if anyone paid anything.
There were negotiations ongoing.
MSM has them alive and well.
My money is on a deal being made for a small number no where near the demands.
Good to hear they are finally released ok

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No Rambo rescue? As for money paid, we may never know that.

Then, until the next kidnappings in Haiti....

I suspect that won't be long. A couple two, three weeks.

Reactions: thompstr

Big

Apr 24, 2019
No Rambo rescue? As for money paid, we may never know that.

Then, until the next kidnappings in Haiti....

I suspect that won't be long. A couple two, three weeks.
maybe they just paid them off with some steak & cheese subs and some fries. They probably haven't had a hot meal in years

Reactions: windeguy

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

Ransom was paid to “400 Mawozo” to free North American missionaries​

A US official told CNN that the US government did not pay the ransom but that one million dollars were negotiated for each missionary.​

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If the criminals wanted 1 Million and got 1 million I would say the negotiators skills were sadly lacking unless that included a discount on those already released.
We may never know the truth on that.

If the ransom was paid, that will incentivize more kidnappings. Anyone up for a trip to Haiti?

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
If the criminals wanted 1 Million and got 1 million I would say the negotiators skills were sadly lacking unless that included a discount on those already released.

If the ransom was paid, that will incentivize more kidnappings. Anyone up for a trip to Haiti?
Nope thanks...when I go south ill travel Dominican Republic...lol

Reactions: windeguy

Goliath94K

Sep 30, 2013

They just kidnapped two Cubans.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
..."The gang that authorities said was responsible for the kidnappings, 400 Mawozo, had initially demanded a ransom of $1 million per hostage, according to Haiti's then-justice minister Liszt Quitel.
A ransom was paid to the 400 Mawozo, according to the source. A US official also said that a ransom was paid, but not by the US government. Though the exact amount is not known, the source said it was far less than the original request of $1 million per hostage.
CNN has reached out to CAM for comment."... https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/16/americas/haiti-missionaries-released-intl/index.html

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Conflicting stories: No ransom, they merely walked away....

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Well aint that a kick in the head.

It could just be a case of confusion as to how they showed up in a town by themselves. Or maybe the thugs were paid a ransom, the guards disappeared, and the hostages "thought" they were escaping? Somebody should still go in and wipe out those maroons.

Reactions: Big and melphis

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

Walked away or more like ran for their life?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I just watched a story on this on the evening news from NY. They were all standing arm in arm singing away.
Something here just doesn't pass the smell test. How do 11 adults and a baby just walk away unnoticed.
Their spokesman claims they walked upwards of 10 miles through woods, and thorns without being seen until someone helped them and they were flown to Florida later that day.

Again this just doesn't pass the smell test. Glad they are all safe but the truth would be nice.

Reactions: drstock

Big

Apr 24, 2019
These dopes probably passed out under a tree after drinking too much rum and the hostages probably got tired of playing the good victim. They took these people because they were soft targets. Could you imagine a bunch of construction contractors playing the good victim role for so long

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I just watched a story on this on the evening news from NY. They were all standing arm in arm singing away.
Something here just doesn't pass the smell test. How do 11 adults and a baby just walk away unnoticed.
Their spokesman claims they walked upwards of 10 miles through woods, and thorns without being seen until someone helped them and they were flown to Florida later that day.

Again this just doesn't pass the smell test. Glad they are all safe but the truth would be nice.
They are missionaries, why would they tell the truth? You know what they tell people that they "mission"? 12 Million USD just walked away? I will wait for the movie.
The last 12 Christian missionaries kidnapped in Haiti and held in captivity for two months found their freedom by escaping, according to their charity group, Christian Aid Ministries, and several other sources.

In a first-hand account shared with the organization by one of the hostages, the group credited “the Lord” with saving them. One of the kidnapped missionaries described their plans to make their escape sometime between 1 a.m. and 3 a.m. on the night of Wednesday, Dec. 15, when members of the gang holding them changed shifts.

“We made preparations. We packed our bag with some of our belongings,” said Sam Stoltzfus, who works with Christian Aid Ministries and was one of the group of 17 missionaries kidnapped in Haiti on Oct. 16. “We were scared; of course we were scared.”

They packed water, moved their mattresses and found a way to open the door that was loosely secured.

On the morning they escaped, Stoltzfus said, “our legs were like jelly; we were shaking.”

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
They are missionaries, why would they tell the truth?

Maybe the missionaries staged the entire thing as a marketing ploy to solicit donations for their evil School Building For Haitians Plan??

I would believe the missionaries before believing any statements from the US admin or the Haitian admin. You also can't believe any news reports, they have no clue either.

Maybe a ransom was paid, and the thugs just walked away? And then the missionaries saw what they thought was an opportunity, and they got outa Dodge. We'll never know, because you never advertise the fact that a ransom was paid. The less said the better. They're free, and that's a good thing.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
..."Over time, the hostages agreed to try to escape, and chose the night of December 15 to flee.

“When they sensed the timing was right, they found a way to open the door that was closed and blocked, filed silently to the path they had chosen to follow, and quickly left the place they were held, despite the fact that numerous guards were close by,” Showalter said."...https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/2021/december/haiti-missionaries-escape-kidnap-gang-christian-aid-ministr.html

That is their story and they are sticking to it...

They were clearly allowed to escape if guards were nearby.

We are never going to know about the ransom $$.

Reactions: drstock