Missionaries Kidnapped in Haiti

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
How can people who are so poor that they are eating dirt pies afford guns worth over $1000? Someone needs to seal off the country, collect the guns, stop the gangs and drug flow, and start a public works project, beginning with prisons. Once the prisons are full, ask them what they would like to build next. The US was told to stay out, Haiti turned away Dominican charity many times, the UN accomplished nothing. Anyone else want to take a stab at it? Canada?
Perhaps we should send in Abinader the Regulator.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
How can people who are so poor that they are eating dirt pies afford guns worth over $1000? Someone needs to seal off the country, collect the guns, stop the gangs and drug flow, and start a public works project, beginning with prisons. Once the prisons are full, ask them what they would like to build next. The US was told to stay out, Haiti turned away Dominican charity many times, the UN accomplished nothing. Anyone else want to take a stab at it? Canada?
or lets do Haiti invasion, do that and maybe, I mean MAYBE we can start a better fresh new Haiti.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
or lets do Haiti invasion, do that and maybe, I mean MAYBE we can start a better fresh new Haiti.
Or better yet, let's do whatever it takes to keep the problem in Haiti within Haiti.

At least that has a chance of working since there is zero chance anything will improve inside Haiti.

Reactions: ctrob

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Or better yet, let's do whatever it takes to keep the problem in Haiti within Haiti.

At least that has a chance of working since there is zero chance anything will improve inside Haiti.

The Dominicans are the only ones that will do that. If the idiot gangs come near the Dom border, the Domincans will engage and destroy. But the idiot gangs really have no firepower, so they'll just stay in Haiti and hurt their own people.

These idiot gangs have a few decrepit rifles and probably no ammo to speak of. That's the other reason to not give them Millions in ransom. Guess what they'll spend it on? I'm sure the Dominican gov't is lobbying to not give these clowns any ransom money. And the haitian army really has nothing left to steal. The few small arms and armored carriers were not maintained, don't work, no parts. No tanks, no planes, no boats, the Haitians let everything they were given to rust away.

But that doesn't mean it won't happen. If the US doesn't pay a ransom, there's nothing to skim. Never let a crisis go to waste.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The Dominicans are the only ones that will do that. If the idiot gangs come near the Dom border, the Domincans will engage and destroy. But the idiot gangs really have no firepower, so they'll just stay in Haiti and hurt their own people.

These idiot gangs have a few decrepit rifles and probably no ammo to speak of. That's the other reason to not give them Millions in ransom. Guess what they'll spend it on? I'm sure the Dominican gov't is lobbying to not give these clowns any ransom money. And the haitian army really has nothing left to steal. The few small arms and armored carriers were not maintained, don't work, no parts. No tanks, no planes, no boats, the Haitians let everything they were given to rust away.

But that doesn't mean it won't happen. If the US doesn't pay a ransom, there's nothing to skim. Never let a crisis go to waste.
The US is not paying the ransom at this point although it can well afford it.
The church org that sent the missionaries has the responsibility to pay up.
The aid organizations all know each other, let them pitch in and help out.
The lives of 18 people are well worth the money.

Kidnapping is very effective.
Ever notice the way the DR responds to kidnapping?
Its all hands on deck and the cops do not rest until the kidnappers are in prison.
The DR knows what will happen if kidnappings are not solved and quickly.
The situation in Haiti is different and by paying it will not increase the number of kidnappings. Its already out of control.
Pay what has to be paid to save these people and get out of the country.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Are the gangs considered to be terrorists? I expect so.

That seems to leave it up to the religious group to pay it.

Reactions: zoomzx11

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I'm sure the FBI brought a big suitcase full of cash when they showed up down there. You prepare for every contingency.

This gang of thugs are not the brightest bulbs on the tree. They would have made so many mistakes already it's laughable. My money would be on the idiot Spiderman gang being taken out by American Special Forces and the hostages all safely released.

• Love
Reactions: Big and NanSanPedro

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I'm sure the FBI brought a big suitcase full of cash when they showed up down there. You prepare for every contingency.

This gang of thugs are not the brightest bulbs on the tree. They would have made so many mistakes already it's laughable. My money would be on the idiot Spiderman gang being taken out by American Special Forces and the hostages all safely released.
Where has there been a precedent for the USA to bring in the military to rescue hostages in country with which the USA is not at war?

I expect NO such action to be taken. These people entered Haiti at their own risk against the advice of their own country. Stupid is as stupid does in this situation.

The US might try to negotiate, but I do not expect there are any suitcases full of money to be given nor any Seal Teams prepping for a mission to Haiti.

Reactions: thompstr

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

Yes, and hopefully execute the spidey thugs on the spot. Haiti needs less of them.

Reactions: ctrob

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Where has there been a precedent for the USA to bring in the military to rescue hostages in country with which the USA is not at war?

I expect NO such action to be taken. These people entered Haiti at their own risk against the advice of their own country. Stupid is as stupid does in this situation.

The US might try to negotiate, but I do not expect there are any suitcases full of money to be given nor any Seal Teams prepping for a mission to Haiti.
Panama, Granada

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Panama, Granada
In Panama, hostage Muse was an American Spy leading an effort to overthrow Noriega during an era of US nation building attempts.

In Granada, there was a threat by Cuba and the Soviet Union, for which Reagan had the motivation to invade the island, and Reagan had the pesky problem of many US citizens being taken hostage at the time

Let me rephrase the question: Was there ever a rescue of dumb-a$$ed US citizens who disobeyed a directive by the US government to not enter a country, got kidnapped because of their ignorance and stupidity, and then the US government either paid a ransom or sent in a team to rescue them?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Team America and the idiots currently in charge are in desperate need of a WIN right now so don't put it past them.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Happens all the time. But responses do depend on what Admin is in charge.

Nigeria was level 3 advisory and In 2020, Niger experienced a multitude of attacks by extremists linked to both Islamic State (IS) groups and Al-Qaeda, so that is a hot button for the US. A recommendation to reconsider travel there. Somehow the people in Haiti entered anyway despite a Do Not Travel Level 4 advisory.

Haiti has a level 4 Do Not Travel advisory

Travel Advisory
August 23, 2021​

Nigeria - Level 3: Reconsider Travel​

Haiti
--------
Travel Advisory
August 23, 2021​

Haiti - Level 4: Do Not Travel​

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Nigeria was level 3 advisory and In 2020, Niger experienced a multitude of attacks by extremists linked to both Islamic State (IS) groups and Al-Qaeda, so that is a hot button for the US. A recommendation to reconsider travel there. Somehow the people in Haiti entered anyway despite a Do Not Travel Level 4 advisory.

Haiti has a level 4 Do Not Travel advisory

Travel Advisory​

August 23, 2021​

Nigeria - Level 3: Reconsider Travel​

Haiti​

--------​

Travel Advisory​

August 23, 2021​

Haiti - Level 4: Do Not Travel​

First of all, we don't know when they entered. They had been building an orphanage so it was a long term project. We only know that one guy of the 17 came in the Friday beforehand.

Second, how seriously would you take a US government warning? I wouldn't. It's something to ignore, like the warnings for visiting the DR.

Finally, as I said before, they are servants of God. Servants serve. That's their job. I understand you don't like it. I join with 300 million other Americans and don't care.

Reactions: aarhus

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
First of all, we don't know when they entered. They had been building an orphanage so it was a long term project. We only know that one guy of the 17 came in the Friday beforehand.

Second, how seriously would you take a US government warning? I wouldn't. It's something to ignore, like the warnings for visiting the DR.

Finally, as I said before, they are servants of God. Servants serve. That's their job. I understand you don't like it. I join with 300 million other Americans and don't care.
If they don't take a level 4 do not enter travel advisory seriously, they should be on their own, despite whatever else misguides them to be in a place that has no hope of improving.

Perhaps I would not take a warning seriously, but if I did ignore a warning and I had problems, I would certainly not expect any help from Uncle Sam.

And by the way, it isn't like a I don't care. Instead, I do not expect the US government will get involved with money to pay a ransom, or a show of force that gets them released. That should be up to whoever sent them on their mission.

Reactions: Auryn and drstock