Missionaries Kidnapped in Haiti

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
It will be interesting to see how the USA reacts to this. No mention about a ransom in the story.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
WHY anyone, especially with minors, would travel there now is beyond me.
To me, that's just plain and simple irresponsible and stupid and those who took their kids there should not be parents... What bothers me is that the news article does not imply that there would be anything out of the ordinary that all these people went there...

Just recently, it was in the news that health care professionals were killed there and then people take their kids there???

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
If they are Evangelicals, their faith requires them to "evangelize" regardless of the risk.
Evangelicals...who needs them?
The fact that Haiti is on the U.S. State Department Do Not Travel list seems to have meant very little, if anything at all, to them, says it all.
No government can tell them what to do.
I guess they...
"answer to a higher power".
So I guess they should turn now to that higher power to get them out of this jam.
It is hard to have patience with people who refuse to help themselves or their children.
Doesn't it say somewhere in the Bible that the good Lord helps those who help themselves?
I mean, really.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I blame the NGOs for continuing to put their people in harms way. When the UN pulls out it should be a clear signal that all is not rosy in Shangri-la. I applaud the effort and desire to help but "stupid is as stupid does". Haiti is no place for anyone who cannot adequately protect themselves from roving gangs that are on the lookout hapless victims who have wandered into the pitcher trap.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
To me, that's just plain and simple irresponsible and stupid and those who took their kids there should not be parents... What bothers me is that the news article does not imply that there would be anything out of the ordinary that all these people went there...

Just recently, it was in the news that health care professionals were killed there and then people take their kids there???
Would you say the same thing for people taking their kids into Detroit, DC, or NY?

They were missionaries doing their job. Servants serve. That is what Christians are called to do.

While I'm quite sad that this occurred, it was a result of people obeying the Gospel.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Would you say the same thing for people taking their kids into Detroit, DC, or NY?
Depends upon where in those cities. You forgot Baltimore!
They were missionaries doing their job. Servants serve. That is what Christians are called to do.
Morons they were. Putting themselves in harms way.
While I'm quite sad that this occurred, it was a result of people obeying the Gospel.
Ludicrous. Stupid is as stupid does.

Reactions: drstock

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

I'm not quite sure how any of the above makes any sense? If adults need to do something as they think they need to do it, go ahead, but in my opinion, children should not be involved... What have they done to deserve to suffer?

Just checked the recent other Haiti related thread, the best possible answer there was kindly provided by AE:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Sorry Rob, I’d say the same thing to any parent taking their children into a dangerous country, city, etc. I grew up in NYC and my father had some relatives who lived in parts of Brooklyn where he would not bring my mom and us. He went alone.

My daughter won’t even drive through some cities here in south Jersey with her kids, too many drive by shootings where innocents in cars have died.

If these missionaries felt they had to go, they should have left children somewhere safe and gone alone. Remember, God helps those who help themselves.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
If they are Evangelicals, their faith requires them to "evangelize" regardless of the risk.
Evangelicals...who needs them?
The fact that Haiti is on the U.S. State Department Do Not Travel list seems to have meant very little, if anything at all, to them, says it all.
No government can tell them what to do.
I guess they...
"answer to a higher power".
So I guess they should turn now to that higher power to get them out of this jam.
It is hard to have patience with people who refuse to help themselves or their children.
Doesn't it say somewhere in the Bible that the good Lord helps those who help themselves?
I mean, really.

Obviously god wanted them to be kidnapped.
When god sees the necessity he will help.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Kidnapping is reported to be the biggest enterprise in Haiti.

I won't get into the religulous since that is not allowed on DR1.
I will just say that those who were kidnapped were morons for going to a place without any rule of law and leave it at that.
Them being missionaries moves it into the religious realm.
How could one comment without it having religious connection.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The parents had no business dragging kids into Haiti. It's rough over.

nortenomore

Jul 26, 2019
In that all evangelical missionaries have to be Covid 'vaccinated' now maybe the Haitians are quarantining them.

Even in Australia and Canada the governments run quarantine camps - why should Haiti be any different?

Good to see Haiti step up to the plate and keep these people safe. And anybody who doubts this is what happened is a science-denier.

• Haha
Reactions: windeguy