Mondongo - You Have Been Warned!!!!

jonytuga

Oct 16, 2012
You right bronze it is made with white beans, and the "m?o de vaca" is also made ​​with white beans,I'm a fan of all type of beans;)
JT

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I just say that when you have to clean something that much to make it edible, that's a pretty good clue for getting something else...

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I'm currently in Mexico and for the first time in my life yesterday I tried fried cricket and grasshopper

images

along with Pulque Pulque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

images

(All native Mexican cuisine). I would rather have Mondongo any day than fried grasshoppers and crickets.

Is it in Mexico that they have chocolate covered grasshoppers? I would try one for fun!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Blood sausage, called Kishka during my childhood, brings back memories. Not all of them good ones. They even have a song about it:

[video=youtube;TA5UwugPyqw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA5UwugPyqw[/video]

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
What part of Mexico are you in? I've never even heard of such and I have spent a few months overall in Mexico.
Der Fish

Right now in Puebla. This is very common all over Mexico. The thing is obviously you won't see this in higher end restaurants, malls, etc...you have to get out onto the streets and hang out with the common folks. If you go to a fair for instance you'll see many people selling these.

This is indigenous cuisine.

In terms of tripe they use it in menudo, but you can also find it in other forms. For instance "Chistorra" - Fried entrails - is very common at steakhouses and some of the poshest restaurants as well.

Aguaita: Yes I have seen those as well. In addition you can find worms or other little critters in spicy "suckers" - Paletas.

The crickets were not bad at all. It tasted like a salty snack. The grasshoppers I didn't care for and the pulque either (slimy consistency).

I felt like Andrew Zimmern...:laugh:

Last edited:

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
Blood sausage, called Kishka during my childhood, brings back memories. Not all of them good ones. They even have a song about it:

[video=youtube;TA5UwugPyqw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA5UwugPyqw[/video]

LOL....remember that blood pudding sausage well. Family ate, I did not, uggh, probably freaked me out as a kid. Family used to listen to Frankie as well, and remembering a song......``? Don`t want her, you can have her, shes too fat for me`` Remember that one too Windeguy??

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Mondongo

Black pudding in the UK or Boudin Noir in France is delicious, breakfast isn't the same without it. Why can't they make it here?

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
You folks missed my little book, titled, "It's a DELICACY in Japan!!!"

A short compendium of observations dealing with how gringos react to all things Latin, compared to their enthusiastic exclamatory SHOUTS when customs and traditions from industrialized nations are discussed.

If mondongo was Swedish, they'd be singing its praises. Otherwise, it's "Yuck! You gonna eat that?!"

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
My dogs love it...the tripe then, but not cleaned because you wash away all the good stuff (enzymes). I can slice it for the dogs but the smell turns me off to try it myself. Nothing new for me because in Belgium we eat a lot of blood sausages, liver and kidneys, but no tripe. My father loved to eat baked pork brains which even got my mother out of the kitchen.