Monte Alto Coffee

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
robbie said:
I still cant find Monte Alto in Punta Cana
Nacional in Punta Cana and Pola in B?varo have had it on their shelves recently. I try and restrain my excitement because as with so many products that appear, once it sells out there's no guarantee it'll be restocked right away.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Monte Alto been abundant in Nacional in Santo Domingo for the last several months.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Monte Alto is by the Ramirez family, cousins to the Olivos (the most sweet Alida is an Olivo.)

Keep in mind that 90+% of coffee grown in the DR is exported...the best 90+%. Monte Alto is rare in that it is produced with beans normally exported. Much of the coffee available in the DR is, frankly, an inferior grade and is bitter and harsh (which Dominicans are used to.)

I may have access to some of the family estate coffee in a week or so, what we drink, that comes directly from the Olivo plantation 11km outside Juncalito in Cerro Prieto, some of the most perfect coffee growing conditions on the planet. It's not cheap (it's small production primarily for family and unavailable anywhere but here on DR1) but drop me a PM and I may be able to ship some around the country via Caribe Tours. It's the BEST coffee I've ever tasted, period.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Monte Alto regular and organic is now in stock in both Nacional and Pola in PC, Bavaro. Nacional has more left than Pola.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
CB, how about roasted beans, not ground?
It's family estate stock and they want ground; none have a coffee grinder. We only do 100lbs. at a time, taking the BEST beans produced. Because of the low volume it's a little more expensive that what is in stores.

Monte Alto does have some roast bean coffee. But they are a commercial producer. The family estate isn't.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's funny to think how many times all our paths must cross in this little corner of the island :)

agw

Feb 14, 2010
Absolutely! I'd love to have a coffee or beer with anyone who would like to meet next time I come down.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Results Of The Santo Domingo "Monte Alto" Taste Tests Are In", Who Won?????

I found the "Monte Alto" at supermercado National in Arroyo Hondo yesterday.
They had both the regular and the "Organic".
Since it's more than likely all the same coffee, I got the "regular".
(Would YOU Trust A Dominican???)
177 pesos a pound.
Brought it home, and my mother-in-law brewed up a "Greca".
I like some milk and sugar, and she made it just like she makes my everyday,normal "Cafe SD".
One taste, "Contest OVER!!!
I didn't NEED to continue, but I DID!
Faaaaaaaaaaaaantastic!
Just like I remembered that illusive cup I had in Sosua about 15 years ago!
It has a very FULL taste of Coffee.
Full, but not a trace of acid, or bitterness.
I loved it!
I wanted to sit all day and drink "MAAAAAAAAAS"!
But I knew better. :knockedou:knockedou:knockedou
This am, cup # 2, again, "Faaaaaaaaaaaantastic"!!!
I'm going back for more bags.
I wonder if they sell the roasted whole beans???
Now, THAT, could be "ORGASMIC"!!!
I guess you could say, "I'm A Fan" of "Monte Alto????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I think the "BB Player" must have been traded!
HOWEVER, last week I ran into a friend that I had not had the "Pleasure of Company" with for several years!
Our eyes met, our gaze locked, we exchanged #s.
She is about 36 now, I first met her about 20 years ago.
I've been with her through several "Esposos", Many, Many,Johns" and 3 kids.
She still looks great, maybe even BETTER!
The older I get, the younger they looks!
Now "WTF" is this thread about???
"Oh Yah", coffee.
I'll look for those beans at Super national", I seem to have good luck there! :p:p
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited: