Monte Alto Coffee

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This coffee is so good I had to go back and buy 2 more for my cook to take home on her vacation next month.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Bravo in Santiago has both Monte Real and Monte Alto. I purchased both yesterday Sat, 9th March.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Went food shopping today and I found Monte Alto and Organic Monte Real in La Sirena.
I got a half pound of each to taste test.OMG! the taste is so good!First I had a half cup
of Monte Alto and you can smell the roasted coffee beans and it has a robust flavor.
With the Monte Real as soon as you open the package you can smell the hint of cocoa.
I also had a half cup and let me tell you,if you like chocolate,you will like this coffee.
It's so good!Next time I will buy a pound of each.

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
I know this is probably a stupid question. Do you make it as ecprsso or percolate it in a coffee pot?
Thanks

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
You can make it anyway you like,in a coffee pot or as espresso.I made mine in a greca.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I ve been coming here 4 months a year for the last 5 years and just assumed since everyone drinks "santo domingo" coffee that it was the best brand around. How wrong I was( even if not to bad), mont alto is great!!. Was in la sirena at santiago on my monthly trip to the city from the campo, and while I was there thought about u dr1 guys. Bought 2 normal and 2 organic in 8 oz for my parents back home(good size cos my mum loves handing them out). Got one of the normal monte alto normal sized packet for myself and wife, who like all dominicans hates changes,but even she appriciate it. It is more expensive, 270 pesos compare to SD 140 pesos, so nearly twice the price, but worth it. Thanks dr1 for having made me discover it.

Dec 26, 2011
What is a greca?

Cafetera-italiana-o-de-rosco-2.jpg

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
gee, no need to get crossed :) i could never master greca. my coffee never comes out as good as when made by a dominicana :(
and bostonmary asked for preparation advice.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Cafetiere/French press - closest thing to 'sock' coffee from the campo.

I have two brand new ones [French Press, Bodum brand] in DR. Assuming they are still there when we get there on Sunday [one never knows in our house, I hear my blender has taken a walk] I will give them to anyone who wants them. We use a greca there, and still have the "sock" set up too.

I think JDJones was looking for one??? PM me if interested, south coast, Playa Palenque/Playa Najayo area.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's not actually a sock, or a stocking, but a sock-shaped sieve made with cotton fabric