More Fruit Choices In Playero

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
maybe they should do tastings within the store of these fruits- it may help with sales or not -depending on what they taste like

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Had pithaya for the first time last night. Ate half the fruit and will eat other half tonight.

I had to laugh when I cut it open. Whether you chew the seeds or not makes no difference, as you realize when you cut one open. There are about a zillion seeds, black and very tiny. I muist take 50-100 of the seeds to make something the size of a grain of rice.

The fruit is the consistency of jello. You scoop it out with a spoon. To chew the seeds is like chewing jello. No doubt some of the seeds get crunched when you chew but certainly many do not.

The inside looked exactly like the picture in an earlier post.

The people at Playero tell me there are large fields of pithaya near the border with Haiti. They say it grows like a vine. You can take a cutting from a plant and put it in a pot and it will grow.

Bought two of them the other day and I don't like the taste.The tiny black seeds are crunchy like the kiwi.
the flesh is the consistancy of jello and that's what I didn't like.I don't know what to do with the other one
maybe I'll just throw it out.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Was someone asking about chicory or endive? I see these are now on sale in playero...at only $160 each!

I was, and yes they were ridiculously expensive, but I still bought them... and indulged myself...

Shame on me.... lol

Now, when are they going to get fresh Mussels!!!!

BelgianK

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Bought two of them the other day and I don't like the taste.The tiny black seeds are crunchy like the kiwi.
the flesh is the consistancy of jello and that's what I didn't like.I don't know what to do with the other one

Stand on the curb until Ken comes by and then sell it to him... he'll pay a premium

Aug 21, 2007

Use them in smoothies, mixing with other fruit. A good combination would be pithaya, orange juice, a little bit of banana, and a little bit of coconut yogurt. Add ice. Blend. Yum!!!

The pithaya are so good for you, it would be a waste to throw it away!

Lindsey

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Use them in smoothies, mixing with other fruit. A good combination would be pithaya, orange juice, a little bit of banana, and a little bit of coconut yogurt. Add ice. Blend. Yum!!!

The pithaya are so good for you, it would be a waste to throw it away!

Lindsey

Good idea, Lindsey. I may try that with the half I still have.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
They also left out betel nut, which is consumed by millions in Southern Asia

I would not put the Betel (Areca) nut in the same class as fruits, since it is "consumed" (chewed) in Asia not eaten. No apparent health benefits- it is a carcinogenic as well. I would put in the same category as chewing tobacco, alcohol, etc... A vice rather then staple.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
when i was a kid we had two kinds of exotic fruits available (only at christmas time): banana and orange. i was never a big fan of bananas, they tasted like rotten potato with sugar. of course a dominican, naturally matured banana is 100 time better than what you can but back home but i am not sold on these. oranges were cuban, very orange and very good, the kind you peel, segment and eat, not peel, cut in half and suckoslurp out :)

other exotic fruits existed only in books and movies. and boy, was i fooled. take coconut, for instance. as a child i saw a coconut once, an aunt was given one by her son, who traveled abroad with marine school internship. it was taken out of the green casing, brown and hairy. proudly displayed on a shelf for years (pretty sure she still has it, 40 years later). i kinda knew how coconut looked like because later i saw them in bounty ad. and i thought it did taste like bounty. what a dumb ass :) when i tried coconut water i spat it out, same with fresh coconut flesh. so gross! to this day i only ever eat old coconuts where the flesh is hard and white.

then take mango: i envisioned mango as a cross between apple (size wise) and strawberry (flesh wise). no one told me the damn thing has fibers and a gigantic stone inside. no one told me it comes green, yellow, orange and red, small, bog, round or oval.

or a pineapple. all is fine, the thing is tasty, if slightly funny looking. exotic fruit like this will grow on nice pineapple trees, i thought. wrong! it grows out of a short, stubby plant, like a common cabbage! disappointment of the decade.