Mortgage interest rates drop

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Tasas-de-interes-Listin-Diario-e1631281991755.jpeg

These are the best days to get a mortgage. Listin Diario reports that the banks are lending for home mortgages at 9% rates. This is down from 11.12% in the pre-pandemic year of 2019.

Listin Diario reports that banks lent at 9.01-9.36% in 2019 and 2020. It says that in the first week of September, banks were lending on average at 9.68%. There have been loans processed at 9.22%.

Read more in Spanish:Listin Diario

10 September 2021

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Extremely high rates for home mortgages in the DR when the best you can receive on a certificado de banco is about 6%. Compared to most European countries where the mortgage rate is about 2.5% to 3 % and about the same in the USA.

Jan 9, 2004
Extremely high rates for home mortgages in the DR when the best you can receive on a certificado de banco is about 6%. Compared to most European countries where the mortgage rate is about 2.5% to 3 % and about the same in the USA.
Risk/Reward........and of course the spread between what they pay for deposits and what they charge to loan it out.

High default rates on loans there and a peso that usually depreciates faster than most reserve currencies (Euro/USD)=higher rates on loans overall.........not just mortgages.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
It certainly is a good time in many countries because I can only see interest rates going up. I was looking at rates in New York from various well known lenders over a 20 year period with fixed rate and 2.5 was available if you had a 20% deposit. In the DR , the banks rip everyone off and I do not think there is a secondary market here. I also think with construction material costs rising so steeply ,the prices of existing houses here are as a general rule going to rise faster than normal. I can not believe the prices of jerry built homes in la Romana.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I'm not sure what crap you are eluding to. Could you be more specific?
Yes. From the OP, quote:" these are the best days to get a mortgage...banks are lending at 9%". How is that true? Since we have shut down talk of the US etc. I can't respond further to substantiate my opinion.

Reactions: melphis

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Thanks for the clarification. Those rates are ridiculously high compared to the rest of the world. When we sold are condo we discuss doing some private financing with a new buyer but when you realize how hard it is to evict someone in the DR we scrapped that idea.

Our theory is that if you can't afford your beach dream up front you probably can't afford it over a few years either.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I may be wrong, but I think those 9% rates are only valid about 3 years, then you have to renegotiate the rate. 😳

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Thanks for the clarification. Those rates are ridiculously high compared to the rest of the world. When we sold are condo we discuss doing some private financing with a new buyer but when you realize how hard it is to evict someone in the DR we scrapped that idea.

Our theory is that if you can't afford your beach dream up front you probably can't afford it over a few years either.
This!

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I may be wrong, but I think those 9% rates are only valid about 3 years, then you have to renegotiate the rate. 😳
Yikes. Hence my comment "fraud". OK, maybe a bit dramatic but....just saying how can you survive??

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Any update on who is lending mortgages to expats at a reasonable rate?

Generally it is much better to get a loan in your own country and use it to finance property purchases in DR. Cheaper in any case and almost certainly easier. I cannot imagine how complicated it would be to get a Dominican mortgage.

Reactions: JD Jones

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
And during this era, where in the real world, banks are literally begging people to take out personal loans-- ie, do whatever the heck you want with the money, like hookers and blow ---- at less than 1 %.

Seems to me DR banks are making a killing out of mortgages.....