Mosquito Repellant

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Try Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil. I've been using it for years and it works very effectively.

I use it on myself, and on the dog. I buy the big bottle, and then mix it half & half with water, and put it in a small spray bottle, it's less greasy and still works great.

They used to sell SSS individually packaged towelettes, but I haven't found them in a long time. I still have a few left, and I hide them, haha.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Try Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil. I've been using it for years and it works very effectively.

I tried this, doesnt work for me, but its not misquitos biting me its the no seeums(sand flies?) I get little bites if Im at the beach, by a pool, in a restaurant, everywhere! And they create a little blister if you scratch them. I use OFF all the time and would love an easier alternative.I even get bitten sitting on my balcony at night.:mad:

~~anna~~

Oct 27, 2003
Lavender!!! I use lavender shower gel, and then lavender spray...I get no bites.

I took one of those small bottles of Essential Lavender Oils put it in a 1 qt spray bottle with bottled water. If I'm going out in the evening, I spray myself with this. I mist the windows and doorways (which eventhough they are screened the mosquitoes don't need much space to get in). My daughter-in-law gave me a bar of homemade lavender soap. I wash with that before going to bed if I'm not taking a shower.

It has to really smell like lavender. Bath&Bodyworks and Healing Gardens have really good shower gel and lotion. Someone gave me lavender rose...not a good idea as the bees loved the rose scent!

Lemon is also supposed to work,but when I tried it I couldn't get away from the smell of Lemon Pledge furniture polish and the bees loved it!

Other people use vanilla,but I'm not a big fan of the smell.

I too get the s*#t bit out of me when I am here ! I am pretty sure they are NOT mosquitos, though, as I never see or hear them. I think they are sand fleas because I spend a lot of time at the beach and outdoor restaurants, although a lot of the bites I get I think are during the night. I bring OFF from home and spray doors, windows and even my bed and legs. Damn things never bother my husband, though !! gggrrr !! BUT to be in "Paradise", I will put up with the endless itching !

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I too get the s*#t bit out of me when I am here ! I am pretty sure they are NOT mosquitos, though, as I never see or hear them. I think they are sand fleas because I spend a lot of time at the beach and outdoor restaurants, although a lot of the bites I get I think are during the night. I bring OFF from home and spray doors, windows and even my bed and legs. Damn things never bother my husband, though !! gggrrr !! BUT to be in "Paradise", I will put up with the endless itching !
They are mayes. Noseeum's from the bowels of hell.

Use Orange OFF! Works perfectly without too much DEET.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I make a homemade potpourri with ingredients I find in the spice department in supermarkets: Cinnamon sticks, eucalyptus leafs, anis stars, clove, vanilla and boil it all in water for 30 minutes. I later place jars with the mixture all around the house. I know it’s time to change it when the mosquitoes come back, usually last 1 ? week. Works great, the only downside is that I had a few bees trying to come in the house as they also love the sweet smell.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
LOL dont get pregnant?! I didnt have any milk or bananas for weeks and I was eaten alive! These are myths. I opted to take Vitamin B suplements, Cutter (2 different sprays), OFF & Avon Skin so Soft insect and sun spray but none of them helped me either.
The only thing that offered relief to the bites was Menthodol Forte. I got 30 bites on one leg my first night of the last trip :( We ended up correcting the screens on the windows but that didnt help when you were outside. Good luck!

Pretty sure that was the point.