Motorbike!

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
My recommendation to anyone considering buying a bike here is to avoid the Chinese bikes. you seldom can find parts for them. yes, the Chinese bikes only cost $1200 to $2000 dollars, but you get what you pay for. you want something that fly's, something that is bomb-proof, something that can takes skidding down the highway on its side, something with lots of big, quality suspension,then get a Japanese bike. Parts are readily available, and you can even order any part you want online. I get almost all my parts on Amazon.com. Bikes that are great for this country is anything by Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, and KTM. I don't see any Kawasaki dealerships, so i left that one out.

Any Honda or Yamaha 125cc, 250cc, 450cc, 650cc and above are the best in the world. it's not by some freak accident that they're the go to bike in every category imaginable...they're bomb proof!

For me, it wouldn't matter if the Chinese and Indian bikes were FREE, i wouldn't want one. i've ridden them...the suspensions are crap. Major crap. the acceleration is crap. big crap. I rather walk then own any Chinese or Indian bike.

Frank

May 5, 2007
Frank, you seem to know dirt bikes really well, so: Back in mid 1980's I borrowed a Yamaha , this is my question It was a "semi street legal" in that they hung a few lights on it, but if I recall it was around a 400CC, you needed a step ladder to reach seat and to start it you had to set bike on stand, go back 100', run toward it as fast as you can, hit the small trampoline you had set up, and then all in one coordinated movement land on kick starter with foot (that had been previously wrapped in steel bands) open throttle with right hand while simultaneously opening compression release and pray that gigantic single cylinder would start If it did start you were golden, you could then hook the bike up to the Caterpillar D 9 bulldozer you wanted to drag out of the way and get going do you recall what it was? I'm thinking YS something It was designed as a racer

Sam Wilson

Nov 3, 2012
www.samwilson.com
Best Dominican Moto to buy?

Where near Samana would be a good place to buy a Moto besides the Ax-100 all the moto concho's are running? I have a friend looking and may be looking myself one day.. I hear they sell for approx $1200 here new for the Japanese, or Chinese 125's.... Any leads? or recommendations for the best and most reliable one?? thx

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My recommendation to anyone considering buying a bike here is to avoid the Chinese bikes. you seldom can find parts for them. yes, the Chinese bikes only cost $1200 to $2000 dollars, but you get what you pay for. you want something that fly's, something that is bomb-proof, something that can takes skidding down the highway on its side, something with lots of big, quality suspension,then get a Japanese bike. Parts are readily available, and you can even order any part you want online. I get almost all my parts on Amazon.com. Bikes that are great for this country is anything by Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, and KTM. I don't see any Kawasaki dealerships, so i left that one out.

Any Honda or Yamaha 125cc, 250cc, 450cc, 650cc and above are the best in the world. it's not by some freak accident that they're the go to bike in every category imaginable...they're bomb proof!

For me, it wouldn't matter if the Chinese and Indian bikes were FREE, i wouldn't want one. i've ridden them...the suspensions are crap. Major crap. the acceleration is crap. big crap. I rather walk then own any Chinese or Indian bike.

Frank
I'd agree 5 years ago.

Fact is today almost ALL Japanese motorcycles under 300cc are produced in China, not Japan.

Fact is most small motos are not built for a rider over 130-150lbs. You are a larger human. You were not in mind when the engineers designed the CG125. Economically stressed 5'4", 125lb Jose or Guangli was.

Fact is most small motos are not built for speed & acceleration & great suspension/handling, but fuel economy. It's a tool for the basic transportation job, not a hobby or passion or performance. Even the Apache's-the semi-sport bikes becoming popular-are really just econo bikes with cool looking tupperwear...with just larger displacement, when you peek beneath the skirt.

I have seen an enormous improvement in quality of Chinese brands in the last 5 years. A new ubiquitous 125cc moto is vastly a better bike from one in the past.

That's not to say they are fantastic compared to a 300cc+ Jap bike. But then again, very few Dominicans can afford a non-Chinese bike. And parts for Chinese bikes are everywhere on the island! Many are interchangeable. Many of the bikes you see are private labels of the exact same bike, especially the CG series. It's the non-Chinese bikes that you have to get parts in the states.

May 5, 2007
Frank, you seem to know dirt bikes really well, so: Back in mid 1980's I borrowed a Yamaha , this is my question It was a "semi street legal" in that they hung a few lights on it, but if I recall it was around a 400CC, you needed a step ladder to reach seat and to start it you had to set bike on stand, go back 100', run toward it as fast as you can, hit the small trampoline you had set up, and then all in one coordinated movement land on kick starter with foot (that had been previously wrapped in steel bands) open throttle with right hand while simultaneously opening compression release and pray that gigantic single cylinder would start If it did start you were golden, you could then hook the bike up to the Caterpillar D 9 bulldozer you wanted to drag out of the way and get going do you recall what it was? I'm thinking YS something It was designed as a racer

Thinking about it further, it likely would have been either a "T" or "Y" model Trials maybe?

May 5, 2007
Apparently you hain't really ridden a motorcycle.

Fish, you have to understand my bike riding was sort of interrupted for 20 years or so while I punched holes in the sky and you paid me 90 grand or so per year to do just that

Anyhow, first bike was a 1972 Honda CB 750, so far ahead of everything else on road except, next was Kawasaki Z1, truly an evolutionary machine Then there were my “changing” year, bought a beautiful Ducati 860 but damm thing wasn’t reliable electrically, cables….small things Ducati actually glass beaded the inside cases of the engine, transmission etc, found out the hard way when engine “ate” a bead that had not been removed. The selling point was smoothness of the 90o twin, you could balance nickel on it’s edge on crank cover, wind it up to 10,000rpm and it wouldn’t move)Day I bought bike I was headed back to base watching the odometer turn 99.9 to it’s first 100 miles and ‘poof” everything except engine died (Magneto) Called shop and hauled it back, the fuse box was placed under seat, it used the old VW type fuses (Open) and mounted them in plastic cup upright with no protection from rain and it filled with water and shorted out. Bike was a Caf? racer by design Little things like paint peeling off, chrome falling off, 5-6 weeks to get clutch cable etc got aggravating I knew the dealer really well so I always got a loaner, like a Moto Guzzi 850, Laverda 1000 triple (Have you ever even seen one? I believe it was fastest top speed bike in world at time) John Player Norton, Ducati Desmo 750, damm and the nastiest , snarliest fastest (In 1/8th mile) muliest (sp)little beast I had ever ridden: Yamaha RD350 Yep, 350 Was normal smooth little machine until it hit about 8000rpm and then it felt like I lit the 5th stage burner, holy ****. 50mph on level ground all of a sudden you were looking at blue skies

Anyway, moved on to another Kawasaki 1000, then a Turbo 1000, tried a HD Road King and no thanks, then I think it was the Suzuki 1100, then Honda V65 Sabre and finally the Hayes diesel

Yeah Fish, I have ridden a few bikes in my limited time Hopefully if I ever get as old as you I’ll experience a few others but likely will have to borrow them from museums 

May 5, 2007
By what you describe. It wasn't a motorcycle, but a drug induced dream.

I guess I should explain it for someone (Fish) who doesn’t understand motorcycles but can relate to a drug induced dream.

The Yamaha to which I refer was an enduro or off road racer, it had 400cc (That’s cubic centimeters) with a high compression ratio (That’s the ratio of air/gas compressed as piston reaches TDC, that’s top dead Center) in it's single cylinder engine requiring a huge amount of effort to start, necessitating the use of a compression relief valve and either stiff boots or wrapping of the leg/foot to prevent breaking same

sorry Fish, no pictures :(

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I guess I should explain it for someone (Fish) who doesn’t understand motorcycles but can relate to a drug induced dream.

The Yamaha to which I refer was an enduro or off road racer, it had 400cc (That’s cubic centimeters) with a high compression ratio (That’s the ratio of air/gas compressed as piston reaches TDC, that’s top dead Center) in it's single cylinder engine requiring a huge amount of effort to start, necessitating the use of a compression relief valve and either stiff boots or wrapping of the leg/foot to prevent breaking same

sorry Fish, no pictures :(

If the Yamaha had lights, then it was a "WR 400 or 450", if it didn't have lights, it was a "YZ 400 or 450." i've owned both right here in the DR and traveled around the island on them. With the YZ 250, i traveled around the island holding a flashlight in my left hand while i drove down the road.

Don't try this at home kids. Not recommended.

Frank

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I'd agree 5 years ago.

Fact is today almost ALL Japanese motorcycles under 300cc are produced in China, not Japan.

Fact is most small motos are not built for a rider over 130-150lbs. You are a larger human. You were not in mind when the engineers designed the CG125. Economically stressed 5'4", 125lb Jose or Guangli was.

Fact is most small motos are not built for speed & acceleration & great suspension/handling, but fuel economy. It's a tool for the basic transportation job, not a hobby or passion or performance. Even the Apache's-the semi-sport bikes becoming popular-are really just econo bikes with cool looking tupperwear...with just larger displacement, when you peek beneath the skirt.

I have seen an enormous improvement in quality of Chinese brands in the last 5 years. A new ubiquitous 125cc moto is vastly a better bike from one in the past.

That's not to say they are fantastic compared to a 300cc+ Jap bike. But then again, very few Dominicans can afford a non-Chinese bike. And parts for Chinese bikes are everywhere on the island! Many are interchangeable. Many of the bikes you see are private labels of the exact same bike, especially the CG series. It's the non-Chinese bikes that you have to get parts in the states.

This is especially true if you get one of the newer fuel injected models. If you get one of the older carb. models, replace the auto choke with a better one, (which might not even be necessary in the DR... but in colder climates it's a definite recommendation.)

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Here is a new mega awesome bike for the DR:

2015 Yamaha SR400

img.jpg

400cc SOHC EFI thumper, 5sp., kick start, 384lbs, 26hp/21ft.lbs., 66mpg.

Sweet. Might be one in my future, been looking for a 400-450cc street bike for a while for putzing around town.

Like a big Royal Enfield 350cc thumper by Yamaha...

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
here is a new mega awesome bike for the dr:

2015 yamaha sr400

img.jpg

400cc sohc efi thumper, 5sp., kick start, 384lbs, 26hp/21ft.lbs., 66mpg.

Sweet. Might be one in my future, been looking for a 400-450cc street bike for a while for putzing around town.

Like a big royal enfield 350cc thumper by yamaha...

i want one!!!!!!!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I dont really like that one. I think a good trail would be better
XT 600 :)
Some people don't like butt-floss seats, bad brakes (that work on dirt but not pavement), spongy suspension and tall CG of a dirt bike on primarily paved roads. Not to mention an extra 100lbs. and $5500...before duty and taxes to the DR.

May 5, 2007
If the Yamaha had lights, then it was a "WR 400 or 450", if it didn't have lights, it was a "YZ 400 or 450." i've owned both right here in the DR and traveled around the island on them. With the YZ 250, i traveled around the island holding a flashlight in my left hand while i drove down the road.

Don't try this at home kids. Not recommended.

Frank

Thanks Frank

They had hooked some lights up temp to drive it from sand pit to sand pit YZ sounds correct

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Bike Trader is filled with bikes that were bought for the wrong reasons: their "mission" was secondary to image or looks.

Should be primary.