motorbikes and where to buy CABARETE SOSUA area

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
In Puerto Plata, along the main road that leads to Santiago--coming from the east and heading west--you pass the public hospital at the top of the hill, then descend down into chaos until you get to a major intersection--you pass that intersection, and then about a quarter of a mile down the road on the right hand side heading west (the side that you are already on) is a pretty big dealership with Yamaha's as well as a wide assortment of Chinese bikes. He also has another dealership in Sosua--pass Charimicos on the corner where there is an intersection with a road heading south (i can't remember the name). This dealership also has Yamaha's and and assortment of Chinese bikes. both dealerships are the same owner, but the one in puerto plata is about twice the size. Again, i'm sorry, i can't remember the name. when you buy a bike there they also sell you the liability insurance which costs around US$25 a year. No joke. It's not worth the paper its printed on, but it required by law.

In Gaspar Hernandez there is another dealership that sells Yamaha's and an assortment of Chinese bikes. it sits almost on the corner of the main intersection in GH (On the south side of the street) All the dealerships are rip-offs, all the Chinese bikes are absolute crap (In my opinion), but if money is tight, then you got to do what you got to do. A Chinese bike costs around $40,000 new (give or take), the yamaha's are about three times as expensive (Depending on the model).

I'm sorry, i am not a fan of Chinese bikes or the Indian Apaches--regardless how bling, bling and cool they look. I've ridden most of them--especially the Indian Apaches 180cc and the Chinese 110cc (motoconcho bikes) and i find them to be a piece of crap. the brakes are crap, the acceleration is crap, the suspension is crap, and the parts availability is crap, the electrical systems are crap, but they're good on gas!

Hope this helps

Frank

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Good point

A lot of comments but not one answer to the OP's original question - where is a good dealer in Cabarete/Sosua and what is the registration process!
About a year ago, we bought a Chinese 110 or 120cc for our maid at a shop, but don't know the name of it anymore. Heading toward Puerto Plata, it's the last building on the left (south) in Sosua Abajo, at the bottom of a hill. Has lots of bikes of all kinds including name brand Japanese brands, all price ranges. We paid cash, got the paperwork done right there, even got insurance.

We titled it in her name of course!! She says it's been a fairly good bike. I know her entire extended family uses the heck out of it. Have doubts about them doing any preventive maintenance. But she says the shop has been good, one for what that's worth.

We did have a Dominican friend price it first, so we weren't getting an up charge. I think he may have talked them down a bit, but who knows. We paid right at RD$40K out the door.

If it would help, I could look at the bike next time and get the name brand. We didn't buy the cheapest, but wanted a family size so it's got expansive seat and automatic tranny.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'm sorry, i am not a fan of Chinese bikes or the Indian Apaches--regardless how bling, bling and cool they look. I've ridden most of them--especially the Indian Apaches 180cc and the Chinese 110cc (motoconcho bikes) and i find them to be a piece of crap. the brakes are crap, the acceleration is crap, the suspension is crap, and the parts availability is crap, the electrical systems are crap, but they're good on gas!

Hope this helps

Frank
But if you're making RD$11,000 a month, they are all you can afford. That is why they are here and sell so well.

A Honda Super Cub is a slug with all the "crappy's" you mentioned, but they sell well and hold up. 'Course, they are not cheap.

A Y125E is considered a "rich guy" bike, not a scoot for the masses...

I'm not praising Chinese bikes. I'm merely pointing out why you see so many here. The OP said his budget was RD$40,000, not RD$120,000. If he said RD$120,000, the selection and suggestions would be completely different. If he said RD$200,000, different still. If he said RD$1,400,000, I'd suggest the new BMW R1200GS (saw one new @ Agora...wow).

My point is that if you have a low budget, at least the low-end bikes now are better than they used to be.

B J

Feb 20, 2013
Hi
i really enjoyed the read

1/ can i buy without a residency card...it will have expired a few days by the time i buy at the dealership.

Registration; so i buy it then i go WHERE?? to register it? Or does the dealer organise all of that?

2/i have a foreign bike license is this valid, can i use it LEGALLY on the road?

3/ Parts; if i buy a cheap assed bike; surely the dealers keep parts in stock. I mean, they must have Dominicans always looking for parts....... what are your thoughts?

many thanks for your replies

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
the dealer will help you with registration of matricula in your name. it costs 1500 pesos. technically speaking, you dont need it.

i will be selling my bike 110 c KYMCO in July, let me know if you are interested. overall good condition (as I know this bike). 20,000 km milegae, I made 11 000 of it

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
dont know about foreign license... i have international one, but is stil valid only for up to 3 months of staying here... in reality - nobody cares as long as you dont have accident

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
any first hand experience ?
Yes.

Just remember that when you drive on an expired tourist card you have virtually no legal and insurance protection.

Yes, there are stories of doom on DR1. But I know numerous people, friends and family members, who have had wrecks where all was settled amicably. The Casa de Choffers is a brilliant idea.

Just remember if you're illegal and uninsured you take a considerable risk.

Caveat Emptor.

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
good to know actually ...yes, i drive on expired tourist card...but have international driver license for bikes and insurance for bike..but the tourist card is expired, indeed......

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
good to know actually ...yes, i drive on expired tourist card...but have international driver license for bikes and insurance for bike..but the tourist card is expired, indeed......

The International Driver's License means nothing here.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
any first hand experience ?

CB is being a bit humble. He owns and operates a motorcycle touring company in the central part of DR. I doubt if you'll find anyone more knowledgeable about local rules involving riding on this (or any) board.

I just bought a Honda , In Sosua, near Dr Bobs, if i remember right?

I was on a tight budget too, I paid around 65,000 p at MasterMotorSport. The guy who owns it I think is Richard. He was really nice and someone on here recommended him as an honest upfront guy.

To say it's not what i'm used to is an understatement but it's a Honda and will get me around. He may have cheaper types?

I was depressed riding it home b/c it's not what i wanted, so really if you can stretch your budget to get something a bit better I would. I'm lucky to have one at all here really, wife was not impressed :)

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I just bought a Honda , In Sosua, near Dr Bobs, if i remember right?

I was on a tight budget too, I paid around 65,000 p at MasterMotorSport. The guy who owns it I think is Richard. He was really nice and someone on here recommended him as an honest upfront guy.

To say it's not what i'm used to is an understatement but it's a Honda and will get me around. He may have cheaper types?

I was depressed riding it home b/c it's not what i wanted, so really if you can stretch your budget to get something a bit better I would. I'm lucky to have one at all here really, wife was not impressed :)
I may be replacing the MotoCaribe.com fleet in the coming months and will have some low milage 2008 V-Strom DL650's for sale at very reasonable prices. FWIW and IMO, it's the perfect bike for the DR.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
So, what bikes are you thinking of for the fleet replacements?
Top secret, but all will become clear in due time. ;)

But it's awfully hard to find a better overall bike for the entire island than than DL650...

The current bikes when offered will definitely be a solid deal, for sure.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Cannot go wrong with a CG parts are cheap and available everwhre I know I just bought a bunch of parts for my 5 year old CG 125 it looks new and runs great and is good on gas. Go to Gaspar Hernandez there is a shop right before the Texaco Gas Station (actually there are 2 one sells Jap bikes too and the one across the road just sells CGs)and try and get one of the Tauro models apparently the best quality ones out there.Parts are cheap I paid 45 pesos for a speedo cable the other day and like 1100 pesos for a new gas tank. Change the oils regularly clean it with diesel and water and spray it down with WD40 on a regular it will last for ever. As cobraboy says the quality of Chino bikes are getting better.