Motorcycle Owners

Winnipeg

Jan 5, 2019
Good advice so far. A scooter is a bit more stable, lighter and easier to ride.

Scooter or bike, the risk of using one of these vehicles, especially around town, where you are bound have the majority of your mishaps, is high. As a rider you have no protection except for what you are wearing. A good helmet, long pants, long sleeve shirt and solid shoes are a must. The rough asphalt used on the roads here will shred unprotected skin like cheese in a grater. Too hot for leather bopping around town, but shorts and flip flops are just asking for a world of literal hurt.

Cars/Trucks tend not to give bike riders any road space unless the have to. Potholes are not forgiving to inexperienced riders. It takes some a few attempts to remember that if you stop you fall over if you don't put your feet down and in an emergency stop some forget to put their feet down.

While the air rushing through your hair can be exhilarating, you definitely need good glasses to keep the bugs and the dirt out of your eyes. Your focus on the road ahead has to be unwavering. Unlike a in car, you need to see the glass or other debris on the road before you run over it. You need to pay attention to storm grates, crumbling gutters, low hanging branches, wires etc.

Sure it can be fun, but the general consensus based on the attitudes of other road users, the poor road conditions, and having only two tires instead of four for traction, makes two wheeled transport sensible for only the most attentive riders who already have a fair amount of riding under their belt. In Dominican traffic is not the place to learn to ride as the statistics often remind us.

Excellent advice!
You couldn't pay me enough to rent a scooter over a car.

Dawn

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
If you want it for 3 years or less save money and buy disposable Chinese. If you want it for a long time or intend to resale and receive close to what you paid by a decent used Japanese brand.
The Honda Lead is an excellent step-through scooter and has mounting points on the front for a basket.
Personally I prefer a dual sport bike like the Honda XR or Yamaha DT series as they don't often break and the larger tires and long travel forks allow for absorbing potholes.
But I'll admit at 70 it is harder to throw a leg over.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Yes in LT there is a craze with ATV going on, I saw so many on rent or sale when I was there a couple of years ago. Somebody must have brought in and marketed them well. Fair enough it is more stable as you are on 4 wheels, but don't be fooled, go a bit fast around the corner and they tip over easy (and on your head !). I nearly tipped one over on the beach once, miraculously tilted almost 90 degrees but landed back down....feeewww !?

Golf carts are also a reasonable option if you want 4 wheels, not sure if they are allowed on the roads in LT, they were banned in the North a while back....

But you are still almost on a kind of small car, parking probably still a bit of an issue and you can't go through a narrow place or lift it over a few steps like a small scooter...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
An ATV has a large turn radius. As mentioned they are easy to tip over on uneven terrain and at higher speed. These vehicles are not meant for highway/street driving - ATV tires don't last long on concrete so you'll need to buy different tires or replace the soft rubber atv tires frequently.

At higher speeds on roads these machines run at high rpm, so they are loud, run hot and are not particularly fuel efficient. Frequent oil changes are recommended because of the heat and high rpm.

Off road, tire pressure should be between 3 - 5 lbs. Higher 20 - 25 lbs for better handling on concrete, so they don't transition easily from one set of conditions to the other.

Urban commutators will generally be happier with a vehicle designed for road use rather than adapting an off road/utility vehicle to the urban environment - an atv looks and sounds cool and to some that is enough impetus to choose one. An atv can carry more stuff than scooter but as with a scooter, add 50 lbs of cargo and the handling characteristics change dramatically.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
If you stay a few weeks in LT you get to know that a lot of people have injuries from driving moto or pasola , passanger or driver. And every week more of your friends have accidents.

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
Was checking out the Yamaha Wolverine. If I can get it there probably wouldn't be a bad option. At least $13k though.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
An ATV has a large turn radius. As mentioned they are easy to tip over on uneven terrain and at higher speed. These vehicles are not meant for highway/street driving - ATV tires don't last long on concrete so you'll need to buy different tires or replace the soft rubber atv tires frequently.

At higher speeds on roads these machines run at high rpm, so they are loud, run hot and are not particularly fuel efficient. Frequent oil changes are recommended because of the heat and high rpm.

Off road, tire pressure should be between 3 - 5 lbs. Higher 20 - 25 lbs for better handling on concrete, so they don't transition easily from one set of conditions to the other.

Urban commutators will generally be happier with a vehicle designed for road use rather than adapting an off road/utility vehicle to the urban environment - an atv looks and sounds cool and to some that is enough impetus to choose one. An atv can carry more stuff than scooter but as with a scooter, add 50 lbs of cargo and the handling characteristics change dramatically.
The generic quad has a short wheelbase & track, and top heavy. They are unstable if balance & CG gets out of whack.

They do not crash as often as two-wheelers---which are unstable to begin with---but when the do crash injuries are much worse. Why? Quads have a tendancy to roll over their occupants.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Was checking out the Yamaha Wolverine. If I can get it there probably wouldn't be a bad option. At least $13k though.

As an alternative, try the Kawasaki Mule 600 - utility vehicle. It's rugged, carries a load, and the rear cargo cabin can be adapted to two facing benches if needed- Dominguez Motors in las Terrenas carried them for me when I distributed Kawasaki years ago.. I sold the business to Magna Motors in Santo Domingo along with the BAJAJ motorcycle line from India and Jincheng Group of China. Magana Motors has a direct line to the K-Dealer parts ordering system of Kawasaki Motors Corp Irving, California. Takes about 5 days to get critical replacement parts. Good luck.

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
As an alternative, try the Kawasaki Mule 600 - utility vehicle. It's rugged, carries a load, and the rear cargo cabin can be adapted to two facing benches if needed- Dominguez Motors in las Terrenas carried them for me when I distributed Kawasaki years ago.. I sold the business to Magna Motors in Santo Domingo along with the BAJAJ motorcycle line from India and Jincheng Group of China. Magana Motors has a direct line to the K-Dealer parts ordering system of Kawasaki Motors Corp Irving, California. Takes about 5 days to get critical replacement parts. Good luck.

Yes I have that one on the short list as well. By "get it there" I mean I will probably ship it there with the rest of my household items when we move. Just need to ensure repairs are possible/reasonable, which I suspect that shouldn't be a problem. Still thinking on it. We have time.

Bluenoser

Feb 26, 2019
What are the requirements here to drive a motorcycle or scooter.
I've heard that no driver's licence is needed.
I see licence plates on most bikes, do they need insurance?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You are supposed to have a driver's license
You are supposed to have a license plate
You are supposed to have insurance.
You are supposed to wear a helmet.

As a gringo, I'd suggest you have all four.