Motorcycle Registration

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
And what about the 80% ( pulled out of thin air) of motorbikes that are on a loan/lease ??

They only give you the matricula when the full amount has been paid----- otherwise one nrw bike would be sold 9 times in a matter of days.
Has that changed as well ?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My friend is one of those....

yes, the bike is reg'd now under this campaign.
The dealer gives you papers to carry - proof of ownership

Reactions: windeguy

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I noticed over weekend here in Santiago traffic cops were posted up on the back streets. First time I've seen them do this since I moved here back in 2015. They had about 10 agents checking every single bike that passed at two different intersections. Times are indeed a changing.

Reactions: windeguy

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
The reg'n process seems to be a roll out one.... the big cities are the current targets

Emphasis (and fines) will spread as time progresses.... the north coast will feel it eventually

Interesting to follow
Lots of motos being stopped and checked in Cabarete this morning - and also in Charamicos near the traffic light this afternoon.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
By the time I went through Cabarete this afternoon, only about half the moto riders were wearing helmets.

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
I got my two bikes registered last week. I went with a taxi driver friend and he suggested we go at 5:00am. We were 11th and 12th in line and there were well over one hundred bikers when Intranet opened at eight
I had to six hundred and three hundred in Ban Reservas.
We had a woman with a tablet take pictures of the bikes then we went upstairs where I had my photo taken for the license. They take your info from your cedula. My wife has already used her license as a proof of id.
I got home by nine.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In Cabrera the 'licensing' part involved a short driving test - weaving thru those orange cones - to prove your skills.
Nothing written, I was told.
I was surprised there was no driving part to the test my wife took at the INTRANT office in Puerto Plata. Each office seems to play by their own rules regarding testing. The mobile office that was in Gaspar Hernandez just needed the fees to be paid, but she missed out on that option when they moved elsewhere.

I suspect it was because she already had her license to drive a car, but as we all know that is no guarantee one can drive a motorcycle.

As for those getting away with driving without proper licenses and registration, I suspect the north coast will be a while in catching up to the target provinces, if ever. But do post if there are any issues in Sosua/Cabarete because of this.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
I got my two bikes registered last week. I went with a taxi driver friend and he suggested we go at 5:00am. We were 11th and 12th in line and there were well over one hundred bikers when Intranet opened at eight
I had to six hundred and three hundred in Ban Reservas.
We had a woman with a tablet take pictures of the bikes then we went upstairs where I had my photo taken for the license. They take your info from your cedula. My wife has already used her license as a proof of id.
I got home by nine.
Where was this ? And you took pictures of the bikes (including Licence Plate ) ahead of time ?

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
Where was this ? And you took pictures of the bikes (including Licence Plate ) ahead of time ?
This was in Santiago. There was a girl who took pictures of the bikes before you went to the office. There was no riding around cones involved. I was told that it will cost 2500 pesos if you do the process after the final date which was the 15th.
The day before I went a guy got there early and was about 25th in line. When they opened the gate the rush from the younger guys put him past 100. He turned up angry the next day and dished out pieces of paper with your number on it. Everybody welcomed this intuitive and when my wife went the next day there was a security guard implementing this same idea. She was number 25 but they processed her so fast she was home around 8:30.

Reactions: CristoRey

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
This was in Santiago. There was a girl who took pictures of the bikes before you went to the office. There was no riding around cones involved. I was told that it will cost 2500 pesos if you do the process after the final date which was the 15th.
I guess I don't really understand what's going on - The police are stopping and ticketing motos en masse (as they seem to be in Sosua this week) and you are driving your unregistered moto to get it registered ???? Seems like a Catch-22. But that would not be a surprise in this country.

Unless they are stopping and ticketing for some other reason ( no helmet, no matricula, no proof of insurance???? )

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
They've said for some time now there would be a time limit for registering. That time has come, and now they are
cracking down on whoever is riding an unregistered motorcycle.

Reactions: CristoRey

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
They've said for some time now there would be a time limit for registering. That time has come, and now they are
cracking down on whoever is riding an unregistered motorcycle.
I understand that - but I've been out of the country until last weekend. How in the hell am I supposed to drive my unregistered moto to a registering center?

Are they actually confiscating these unregistered motos ?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I understand that - but I've been out of the country until last weekend. How in the hell am I supposed to drive my unregistered moto to a registering center?

Here in Santiago they are.
I saw three large flat bed trucks packed full of motos
driving down Av. Circunvalacion just after lunch time
earlier today.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Does this apply to quad bikes?

And what if you already have a full car driver's licence?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Do you have a DR driver's license?
As I understand it, it would be a moot point unless you do have a DR driver's license.

As for confiscation, it has already been reported that is happening since the deadline is now past for the registration.

I am sure someone will chime in and say 500 pesos will fix any problems. Will it now?