Motorcycle Registration

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
aha.... there are many unauthorized happenings in this country....

But we can assume you participate in none of them.

As for the golf carts -- read back - Windy & Saunders tell a different story... Sosua & Jarabacoa

Reactions: windeguy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
After reading the legal case against the regulations provided by a lawyer, I agree with much of it. I spoke to former poster Robert Cooper about the "sticker" issue on helmets which would render his motorcycle tour business essentially untenable.

The mental midgets at INTRANT have overstepped their bounds. They are not the agency that should ever register motor vehicles. That is already done by DGII who issues the registration document known as the Matricula. This was obvious to me from the beginning of their new rules.

INTRANT issues licenses and enforces the traffic laws. Helmet laws, driving laws, licensing law.

Creating stickers for helmets uniquely tied to a given motorcycle, scooter or 4 wheeler ATV registration makes ZERO sense and should go away.
Perhaps that is why no such sticker was issued to my wife at the end of her license procedure at INTRANT in POP.

What should be done is Intrant issues the appropriate licenses to legal residents, citizens, and those with special visas that allow DR licenses.
INTRAT enforces the actual traffic laws. Just like they were supposed to already be doing under law.

DGII remains in charge of all registration just like it has been doing under DR laws. INTRANT can see this registration in their linked database, no need for dual registrations being done at INTRANT as well.

As for seizing vehicles of owners who are not registered properly or commit other offenses, that needs some government work so INTRANT has a way to work legally and get violators to pay their fines.

As does the 90 day situation for foreign licenses to be valid (which INTRANT tends to ignore).My suggestions for handling that one small issue on the laws:
Bottom line for foreigners is the government should come up with a longer term stay visa, paid for up front that allows one to drive legally while the visa is valid. Allow their licenses to be valid for the term of that visa and no longer than that. Make it payable from 1 to 6 moths or just keep it simple at 6 months. Overstay that visitors visa, pay the exit fine once, and be denied reentry the next time you try and come back. Get rid of the exit fines for repeat overstayers. This is something I am rather sure the government is incapable of doing, but would solve one small set of issues.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
where did I say that. You said that that golf carts will probably fall under c1. You do not need a license for a golf cart.
INTRANT related laws indicate that all vehicles not falling under license category 02 or above fall under an 01 license REQUIREMENT. That law is very clear.

Do you now contend a golf cart is not a vehicle?

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
INTRANT related laws indicate that all vehicles not falling under license category 02 or above fall under an 01 license REQUIREMENT. That law is very clear.

Do you now contend a golf cart is not a vehicle?
The golf cart is not approved for use on public roads in the Dominican Republic. I think that statement is fairly simple and direct.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
a golf cart is not authorized for public roads in this country. I've said that in 2 posts in reply to yours. try jumping in your golf cart and heading down to rebeca supermarket.
Your stating it is one thing. Your stating it twice is still one thing.

Do you have proof of your claim?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Here's an update -
===========================================================

The second issue appearing is that people with driving licenses for cars and trucks are questioning if they need moto licenses. The Decree 6-19 Art. 15 in respect of licensing is clear. If your moto is above 125cc you need a 1b license and with a car license category 2, you are only able to drive a moto up to 125cc. so if your moto or pasola is more than 125cc you have to get a new license. Apply to tricycles and quads too.
That's a lot of moto drivers that won't need a license. I'd say at least half the motos and pasolas are 125cc or less.

• Wow
Reactions: windeguy

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
After all is said and done, what does this of importance accomplish anyway? The moto drivers will still be popping wheelies, driving like maniacs, driving on the wrong side of the road, passing on the right, running read lights, no mufflers on their bikes, no headlights or tail lights, and no helmet. This won't save one life or stop them from dying on the roads in record numbers.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
After all is said and done, what does this of importance accomplish anyway? The moto drivers will still be popping wheelies, driving like maniacs, driving on the wrong side of the road, passing on the right, running read lights, no mufflers on their bikes, no headlights or tail lights, and no helmet. This won't save one life or stop them from dying on the roads in record numbers.
100% Cavok! Besides this, the registry and all of the license hoopla is a DGII driven deal. This is pure revenue. There is no "safety" or "interest of the commoners" involved with this initiative. Sadly, as you state, the deaths will continue to pile up unless there is a massive operation around highway patrol. That includes patrol vehicles and all of the collateral technology required to enforce road regulations and safety laws (of which very very few exist).

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
100% Cavok! Besides this, the registry and all of the license hoopla is a DGII driven deal. This is pure revenue. There is no "safety" or "interest of the commoners" involved with this initiative. Sadly, as you state, the deaths will continue to pile up unless there is a massive operation around highway patrol. That includes patrol vehicles and all of the collateral technology required to enforce road regulations and safety laws (of which very very few exist).
INTRANT seems to be the "driver" while overreaching. Does DGII drive INTRANT?

I do agree as well with Cavok's post about the irresponsible driving habits.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Exactly - they will continue to die and go about on missing legs for the next 30 years, before there is any real action

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I agree. This is just a huge bureaucratic expansion and money grab by the government that does absolutely nothing to promote safety. This is time and money that could have been much better spent on actual enforcement of current laws. They don't need any new ones until they can enforce the existing ones!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The golf cart is not approved for use on public roads in the Dominican Republic. I think that statement is fairly simple and direct.
Just got back from Sosua where a golf cart which is not allowed on the public roads was on Route 5. I wonder what could be done?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think you misunderstood

Car driver license are good for up to 125cc

Above that you need a moto license
Another detail that makes no sense at all,
So a tourist card person using a foreign automobile license on a motorcycle or scooter less than 125cc will be illegal after 90 days,
but that same gringo can never legally drive one 125cc or greater since they cannot get a DR license. Clean up on isle 3 needed.