Motorcyclists show up to register and become street legal

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Plan-Registro-Motorciclistas-INTRANT-1024x683.jpg

Hundreds of motorcyclists are already taking the National Institute of Transport and Transit (Intrant) on their word of expedite license issuing for the driver and their vehicle.

Extensive red tape and fines in the system has discouraged thousands of motorcyclists from going legal. Most motorcycles in circulation do not have legal paperwork.

With most crimes and traffic accidents now involving motorcyclists, the pressure is on for these to put their papers in order or risk having their bikes seized by the Police.

As reported in Hoy, on Tuesday, dozens of motorcyclists queued up at the Club Los Cachorros de Cristo Rey to regularize their motorcycles for the first time. Hoy reports that one of those who took advantage of the fast-track privilege was Juan Maria Valdez who had been illegal since 1983. Another is Miguel Antonio Clase who said he is a...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Do you need a motorcycle license if you have a car license ?
Yes, they are different as was pointed out already. Class 1 for Motos and Class 2 for Autos.

Looks like 600 RD for police report and then 1,360 RD for Class 1, and all the other stuff like tests and insurance, etc:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Nope, but you need it for Vice versa.
Interesting. I don't read it that way. I have a class 2 license, but I think I also need a class 1 license endorsement to drive a motorcycle.
Am I misunderstanding?

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Interesting. I don't read it that way. I have a class 2 license, but I think I also need a class 1 license endorsement to drive a motorcycle.
Am I misunderstanding?
You do need the moto/motorcycle endorsement. With or without the auto. I couldn't rent one without it.
Which brings up another question. Like will I need a helmut with a sticker on it? Hmmm ...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We just called Intrant. A class 02 license is not valid to drive a motorcycle. You need a class 01 license as well and do everything on this list, including a police report, pay the fees for the class 01, take a video exam based on the almost 100 page manual after getting and appointment:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You do need the moto/motorcycle endorsement. With or without the auto. I couldn't rent one without it.
Which brings up another question. Like will I need a helmut with a sticker on it? Hmmm ...
Almost definitely yes on the Helmet with Sticker.

I just confirmed with Intrant that a separate 01 license endorsement is needed if you only have an 02, so that is how it works.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Back to the original post. If they are just getting a class 01 license by simply paying for a police report and the 3 year license, they are getting off easy not taking the test... Or are they actually taking the test as well?

Feb 7, 2007

I just confirmed with Intrant that a separate 01 license endorsement is needed if you only have an 02, so that is how it works.
That's just plain stupid. You already have a license. What's so different on motorcycle vs a car ?

I am not going to go again through the process to just get a motorcycle endorsement to ride the scooter. For anybody it would be easier to just buy some novelty one on the Internet.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Seems like a new thing. Been riding forever only with driver license for my car here…
You, me and my wife as well.

When I checked into the law years ago, I noticed different categories for small motos, large motorcycles, cars, trucks...
I asked about it and everyone just shrugged.

Just like immigration laws, the laws were on the books and ignored.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That's just plain stupid. You already have a license. What's so different on motorcycle vs a car ?

I am not going to go again through the process to just get a motorcycle endorsement to ride the scooter. For anybody it would be easier to just buy some novelty one on the Internet.
In my home country there has always been a different license for motorcycles than there is for cars. I had my auto license at 16, at around 25 I had to add the endorsement for motorcycles. Here 01a and 01b are the different motorcycle endorsements based upon engine size and 02 is for automobiles. There are other categories for larger vehicles. The only changes are the law being enforced and adding stickers to helmets and maybe those vests as well. Not sure on the vests....

Feb 7, 2007
Well, I will just keep driving with a car one or wait for this regularization plan to hit the interior of the country. I really do not believe they are going to make hundreds of thousands go through this process just for motorcycle license, I think they will just hand the licenses out. As I understand it from the pilot plan and what some people being interviewed said, you just come in with papers, pay the fee and get the license. For sure I am not going to be the useful idiot who is going to do this by the book before the regularization plan hits the streets.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well, I will just keep driving with a car one or wait for this regularization plan to hit the interior of the country. I really do not believe they are going to make hundreds of thousands go through this process just for motorcycle license, I think they will just hand the licenses out. As I understand it from the pilot plan and what some people being interviewed said, you just come in with papers, pay the fee and get the license. For sure I am not going to be the useful idiot who is going to do this by the book before the regularization plan hits the streets.
Indeed. I too am waiting to hear about the "real world" implementation.

It might be a police report for 600 RD and a license for about 1,360 RD (both paid at BanReservas) submit those, take an eye test, show your insurance and registration. and get a new license and helmet sticker for both 01 and 02 classifications.

But let us see how that really goes. I just don't see how the helmet sticker/vest thing tied to a given motorcycle will work. We have two different motos... Who gets what sticker? Oh well, that part of it is just plain stupid.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
In my home country there has always been a different license for motorcycles than there is for cars. I had my auto license at 16, at around 25 I had to add the endorsement for motorcycles. Here 01a and 01b are the different motorcycle endorsements based upon engine size and 02 is for automobiles. There are other categories for larger vehicles. The only changes are the law being enforced and adding stickers to helmets and maybe those vests as well. Not sure on the vests....
In some cases the law can be a good idea. Scooters under 50cc's don't need a license in Fl. Restrictions on size if not a bad idea,
Picture the high school kiddie who learns on a 125, then daddy buys him a 1400 cc rocket.
Happy birthday son! Bet ya don't see another one.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018

Scares me to think of who wore the helmet before me.