mount isabel de torres

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Sorry if this point has already been covered but...............is it possible to walk up or must you take the cable car? If you can.........how long does it take and is it easy / hard?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Walking it...

tired_boy said:
Sorry if this point has already been covered but...............is it possible to walk up or must you take the cable car? If you can.........how long does it take and is it easy / hard?

You might be able to walk it. I couldn't. Way too much work for me.
Now, if you want to have a blast, get a DT125 and discover all the different ways up and down that mountain.
That's a memory you'll never forget. Guaranteed.

foggy

Feb 3, 2004
thanks rockybluesbar ,delores and jane j for making this a must see place to visit . by the way jane j two lovely kids,bet your proud to show them on the net

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Foggy..

foggy said:
thanks rockybluesbar ,delores and jane j for making this a must see place to visit . by the way jane j two lovely kids,bet your proud to show them on the net
And you'll feel right at home up there. It's always foggy at the top.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Mount Isabel de Torres is about 3,000 feet high.

You don't need any reservations, just go to the Cable Car place (on the way to Santiago right after you exit Puerto Plata on Highway 5 also known as Carretera Luperon).

The ride is quite interesting, though I haven't been on it in quite some time. The last time I was there you could still see some remnants on the mountain of an Airplane that had crashed onto it during a Cuban attempt invasion or something, I don't know if its still there. Anyways, nice ride up.

The views are outstanding. It is 3,000 feet, so the temps can be a good 10 to 20 degrees in Farenheit cooler than in the low lands. There is a nice but small botanical gardens up there, a smaller version of Christ the Redeemer, and a small suvenir shop.

QUESTION: Is the Teleferico open during night time? It must be interesting looking at the entire coast from up there like a christmas tree, flashing lights on and off by the neighborhood! Just wondering.