Movers and Shakers - Who Are The Big Fish In Dominican Society

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
PLEASE READ FIRST - HOUSE RULES FOR THIS THREAD. This thread is to allow members to share their insights into who are the big fish, politically and in business life in Dominican Society. I would like it to be a guide to who's who in current Dominican life. It is very important that we do not have any acts of libel, so if you do post anything negative, please make sure that this has been reported publicly and you quote your source (e.g. "Nuria's show exposed xxxxx as being the ringleader in a major corruption ring". Remember, we are talking about people with way more power and money than most of us, so if you just call someone a thief with no justification, you are asking for trouble and will hopefully have your post deleted quickly by a mod. Please can we avoid any sweeping generalisations (i.e. no room for "all Dominicans are corrupt / everyone in the government is a liar"). And please can we respect others opinions and not get involved in a bickering competition.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I mentioned the house Miguel Vargas has in Casa de Campo.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I said Lisandro Macarrulla is like a PM so a very important figure.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I said Lisandro Macarrulla is like a PM so a very important figure.
Born into money, I'm guessing he has more than the President. He has always been very active in construction:

MAC Industries and Ports [ edit ]​

MAC Real Estate [ edit ]​

MAC Engineering [ edit ]​

MAC Ports and Logistics [ edit ]​

MAC Tourism [ edit ]​

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Born into money, I'm guessing he has more than the President. He has always been very active in construction:

MAC Tourism [ edit ]​

I didn’t now they had like a PM under the President. Not sure what to compare it to. Similar to France maybe.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
And the Penthouse I think on Av. Anacaona in SD. This sounds like more over in the gossip department lol
He has (or had) one in Carey tower which was or still is the highest tower for a time.

To be clear, I'm not sure he still owns either one of these properties

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
He has (or had) one in Carey tower which was or still is the highest tower for a time.

Yes it’s the Carey tower I heard about. The one with the helipad.I didn’t know about the CDC property

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019

MAC Tourism [ edit ]​

Evidently he has a lot less, according to this thread:

He declared RD$ 427 which is about US$ 7.5M. Abinader rocks in at nearly ten times that net worth.

I'm confused because I thought Hodelpa was owned by Edmundo Aja, but it appears that Macarulla owns MAC Tourism which owns the Nicolas d'Ovando and Novus Plaza, both of which are Hodelpa's.

I know that Macarulla owns the Hotel Luca in the Colonial Zone.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019

It's the Caney with an N. There are quite a few rumors I have heard about that particular tower.

Reactions: JD Jones

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Hmm. Being overly impressed with money and power usually indicates a self esteem issue. What amazes me is the countless talented baseball players that have sacrificed life and limb for a 1 in a million chance to play in the MLB. They deserve the huge contracts. Sammy Sosa made over 100 million and he was worth even more

Reactions: aarhus

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I was more interested in the political system and didn’t now the role of Lisandro Macarrulla was similar to that of a PM. He may have a position and influence not many where aware of or at least not among the expat community as only a few seem to have even heard of him.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I was more interested in the political system and didn’t now the role of Lisandro Macarrulla was similar to that of a PM. He may have a position and influence not many where aware of or at least not among the expat community as only a few seem to have even heard of him.
I’m one of those who never heard of him, but my husband knew exactly who he is. (Corrected my pronunciation too, I defaulted to Italian pronunciation 🤣).

The Domicen Cement factory is near to where we live, they even bought the only hotel on our beach. It’s a massive operation, huge plot of land. At one point they were building a private road that was supposed to end at a new pier on the ocean so they could transport the cement by boat. They seem to have abandoned that after doing quite a lot of work.
60D9DD3C-7F43-450B-AC3F-B2E8AF5AA845.jpeg

Reactions: aarhus

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I’m one of those who never heard of him, but my husband knew exactly who he is. (Corrected my pronunciation too, I defaulted to Italian pronunciation 🤣).

The Domicen Cement factory is near to where we live, they even bought the only hotel on our beach. It’s a massive operation, huge plot of land. At one point they were building a private road that was supposed to end at a new pier on the ocean so they could transport the cement by boat. They seem to have abandoned that after doing quite a lot of work.
View attachment 4837
My wife knows exactly who he is.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Hmm. Being overly impressed with money and power usually indicates a self esteem issue. What amazes me is the countless talented baseball players that have sacrificed life and limb for a 1 in a million chance to play in the MLB. They deserve the huge contracts. Sammy Sosa made over 100 million and he was worth even more
But what has he exactly done for the DR. Yes, I know he has done a few things but for the most part his money is spent out side the DR. Many of the companies he "owns/works with/invests in are in other countries. There are a few athletes that give back and give back big. But Sammy Sosa, no I would beg to differ. Not a "mover and shaker". Their "money making" life span is short so they need to invest well.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
The ball players. They may not all be movers but I would say they’re shakers. MLB rosters are laundry lists of Domincanos. The reason for that has been discussed at length on here before.

They are known outside of the DR and always have a certain amount of influence.

Whether they’re generous and give back or get caught being not-so-ethical (or often both), they are definitely juggernauts, however fleeting their fame may be.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
The ball players. They may not all be movers but I would say they’re shakers. MLB rosters are laundry lists of Domincanos. The reason for that has been discussed at length on here before.

They are known outside of the DR and always have a certain amount of influence.

Whether they’re generous and give back or get caught being not-so-ethical (or often both), they are definitely juggernauts, however fleeting their fame may be.
No shortage of stories of the not-so-famous ones who lost it all here and are now penniless.

A lot of them fell prey to talent scouts and managers who took the lions share of the money they made as "commissions."

Some of those guys are unscrupulous bottom feeders.

• Sad
Reactions: NanSanPedro

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Extraordinary censorship on this subject when I mentioned by name without any hint of indiscretion some old money families that most certainly have influence in the DR. However it seems those not living here know better.

• Wow
Reactions: johne

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Extraordinary censorship on this subject when I mentioned by name without any hint of indiscretion some old money families that most certainly have influence in the DR. However it seems those not living here know better.
Nothing has been deleted in this thread.

Reactions: johne