Moving from Florida to DR

ColoradoGirl

New member
Jan 30, 2005
85
0
0
Hi Everyone... this is my first thread. My husband and daughter are moving over to the DR in a couple of months. I have never been out of the country and do not speak spanish. I am very excited and very nervous, any tips for me? Also... I am a sales Director for Mary Kay Cosmetics and would love to continue my business over there. Any advise? Thanks
 

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
13,565
212
63
Welcome to the message board and--soon--the Dominican Republic. Where will you be living? For tips, you should spend time with the archives, there is a tremendous amount of information available. Use the search tool to make use of it.
 

ColoradoGirl

New member
Jan 30, 2005
85
0
0
Ken said:
Welcome to the message board and--soon--the Dominican Republic. Where will you be living? For tips, you should spend time with the archives, there is a tremendous amount of information available. Use the search tool to make use of it.
Thanks for the reply so fast! We are looking to live in either the Metro Country Club outside of Santo Domingo or inside the city. Do you know of any great private schools near either?
 

Hillbilly

Moderator
Jan 1, 2002
18,946
502
113
Welcome to the DR

Near Metro I do not think that thee is much for your children. In Santo Domingo there is oodles and oodles of good schools.

As far as Mary Kay, they have idstributors hee and the products are very well known.

HB :D
 

ColoradoGirl

New member
Jan 30, 2005
85
0
0
Hillbilly said:
Near Metro I do not think that thee is much for your children. In Santo Domingo there is oodles and oodles of good schools.

As far as Mary Kay, they have idstributors hee and the products are very well known.

HB :D
Thank you for your insite for Mary Kay... I was very nervous about whether they sold there. I know that Avon is there but I did not know how it compared proce wise to Mary Kay. Have you met Mary Kay reps before?
 

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
2,506
60
0
kellyvalles said:
Hi Everyone... this is my first thread. My husband and daughter are moving over to the DR in a couple of months. I have never been out of the country and do not speak spanish. I am very excited and very nervous, any tips for me? Also... I am a sales Director for Mary Kay Cosmetics and would love to continue my business over there. Any advise? Thanks
Why would you want to move from beautiful Miami to chaotic DR?
Don't do it. Think it over a little bit longer. Plus you are already close enough.
 

Naufrago

New member
Sep 1, 2004
392
0
0
Hi Kellyvalles, welcome to the board. Santo Domingo is different and sometimes challenging. My Mom lives in Miami and would never leave to live here in santo Domingo, but she's 84 years old, and a little set in her ways. I've been here 6 months now with my wife and 2 kids, and can honestly say it's a great experience for all of us. Things are progressing more quickly than we imagined and my Spanish is coming slow but steady. When you get down here, us Santo domingo DR1ers get together often and my kids are always on the lookout for new english speaking friends. Tell us a little more about yourself. Why are you making the move? How old is your daughter? Good luck, the move is probably the first major difficulty you will experience, but once you settle that one, it gets easier, with lots of ups and downs in the first few months. Keep posting, asking questions, reading old threads,look forward to meeting you when you get here. My wife enjoys your product line, and will definetly be a good customer. Networking and personal contacts are so crucial to doing business down here, as anywhere I suppose, but crucial in the DR.
 

ColoradoGirl

New member
Jan 30, 2005
85
0
0
Mr_DR said:
Why would you want to move from beautiful Miami to chaotic DR?
Don't do it. Think it over a little bit longer. Plus you are already close enough.

Are you for real or being sarcastic? Isn't it beautiful DR and Chaotic Miami?
 

ColoradoGirl

New member
Jan 30, 2005
85
0
0
Naufrago said:
Hi Kellyvalles, welcome to the board. Santo Domingo is different and sometimes challenging. My Mom lives in Miami and would never leave to live here in santo Domingo, but she's 84 years old, and a little set in her ways. I've been here 6 months now with my wife and 2 kids, and can honestly say it's a great experience for all of us. Things are progressing more quickly than we imagined and my Spanish is coming slow but steady. When you get down here, us Santo domingo DR1ers get together often and my kids are always on the lookout for new english speaking friends. Tell us a little more about yourself. Why are you making the move? How old is your daughter? Good luck, the move is probably the first major difficulty you will experience, but once you settle that one, it gets easier, with lots of ups and downs in the first few months. Keep posting, asking questions, reading old threads,look forward to meeting you when you get here. My wife enjoys your product line, and will definetly be a good customer. Networking and personal contacts are so crucial to doing business down here, as anywhere I suppose, but crucial in the DR.
Thank you so much for the thread! What brought you and your family to the DR and from where? We are moving for my husbands business venture. I have a daughter who is 9 years old. We are also looking at either Santa Domingo or just out side of it. Where do your kids go to school? We are coming to SD on Tuesday and looking for schools. One of my biggest issues of the move. We would love to get together as any friends during a move is great! :nervous: I would also love to be your wife's beauty consultant when I get in the Dr. By the way if she needs anything I would be more than happy to bring it with me when we come down.....
 

Juniper

New member
Apr 15, 2004
406
4
0
kellyvalles said:
Are you for real or being sarcastic? Isn't it beautiful DR and Chaotic Miami?
I got news for you my dear, Santo Domingo is the heck of a lot more chaotic than Miami. At least, Miami is an organized chaotic! And there is no trash!

Juniper
 

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
20,575
326
83
dr1.com
I have lived in Miami (Aventura) and now live in Santo Domingo.

Are you in for a shock, especially as you have never left the USA.
Please try and get the image of the swaying palm trees and powder sand beaches out of your head. Yes we have them, but your talking about possibly living in Santo Domingo, and that's a very different reality.

You really need to spend time here before you consider moving to the DR.

I suggest you spend at least 4-5hrs reading as much as you can on this site.
Then come back when your better informed and ask specific questions and you will get detailed specific answers.
 

ColoradoGirl

New member
Jan 30, 2005
85
0
0
Juniper said:
I got news for you my dear, Santo Domingo is the heck of a lot more chaotic than Miami. At least, Miami is an organized chaotic! And there is no trash!

Juniper
My guess is you love the chaos or can't affford to get out.
 

ColoradoGirl

New member
Jan 30, 2005
85
0
0
Robert said:
I have lived in Miami (Aventura) and now live in Santo Domingo.

Are you in for a shock, especially as you have never left the USA.
Please try and get the image of the swaying palm trees and powder sand beaches out of your head. Yes we have them, but your talking about possibly living in Santo Domingo, and that's a very different reality.

You really need to spend time here before you consider moving to the DR.

I suggest you spend at least 4-5hrs reading as much as you can on this site.
Then come back when your better informed and ask specific questions and you will get detailed specific answers.
Hi Robert,
I am quite informed on the DR, my husbands family is in the DR. I was just looking for some tips and advise from all of you DR1ers. I do not have the image of palm trees or sandy beaches fogging my vision. I am a realist but am definitley up for the adventure. I also have been on this sight many many times and have spent numerous hours reading. Its nice to hear some of the positive and constructive comments from some of the threads about the DR. I try to stay away from the negativity that some people seem to LOVE to talk about. I cannot understand why some are negative about the DR when it comes to cost of living as it is MUCH cheaper to live in the DR as it is in Miami, FL. I know its a different view~DUH!!! Its a different country! I am going excited for the change...especially in the people! Sounds like you should come back to Miami to realize what you have in the DR. Was this detailed enough for you Robert? Thanks so much for your input!
 

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
13,565
212
63
kellyvalles, Robert, who is the owner and webmaster of dr1, doesn't need a defender, but I would like to respond also to your post. If you go back and read your first post, you will see that you described yourself as never having been out of the US. Nothing said about family in the DR, frequent visits, etc., quite the contrary. I got the same impression that Robert did, and as others obviously did from their posts, that you were making your big move on little more than a romantic perception of what life is like in the tropics. Had you presented yourself as a person with ties to the DR and who has spent quite a bit of time here, but was now moving here rather than coming on vacations, you would have gotten quite a different reception.
 

ColoradoGirl

New member
Jan 30, 2005
85
0
0
Sorry Robert

Ken said:
kellyvalles, Robert, who is the owner and webmaster of dr1, doesn't need a defender, but I would like to respond also to your post. If you go back and read your first post, you will see that you described yourself as never having been out of the US. Nothing said about family in the DR, frequent visits, etc., quite the contrary. I got the same impression that Robert did, and as others obviously did from their posts, that you were making your big move on little more than a romantic perception of what life is like in the tropics. Had you presented yourself as a person with ties to the DR and who has spent quite a bit of time here, but was now moving here rather than coming on vacations, you would have gotten quite a different reception.

Sorry Robert didn't mean to sound defensive, I read so many threads from people that are negative about the DR, maybe because I'm new I don't understand why people would move to the DR, then post negative things about it. If I was living somewhere and didn't like it I would move. I hear alot about the crime and trash in the DR. Here in Miami in the last 72 hours we have had two attempted child abductions from two different schools 9 vehicle deads from driving, and six murders. thats just in the last 72 hours. As for visiting the DR I have never been there, Tuesday will be my first time in the DR. My Huband and his uncle have inherited two large farms there. So I am moving beacuse He and his uncle will be running the business. I know that
there are positive and negatives about any place that you are going to live.. once again sorry robert.
 

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
676
0
0
If your husband and his uncle have inherited two large farms, my guess is you will have no economic worries and will have plenty of time to dedicate yourself to the Mary Kay bussiness. Women who are into sales have a lot of energy, are very creative and love to communicate with people. From what I have seen, website and all, you are wasting no time and I am sure you will do well. You seem to be making contact already with potential women buyers from the ex pat community and I have the feeling you will also learn Spanish after moving to DR, which will certainly help you a lot to advance you bussiness.
 

Juniper

New member
Apr 15, 2004
406
4
0
kellyvalles said:
My guess is you love the chaos or can't affford to get out.
You guessed wrong! I live in Miami where my daughter goes to the university and we have a beautiful beach front apartment in Las Terrenas where we spend the winters and a house on a beautiful lake in Michigan where we spend the summers. I got out of Santo Domingo a long, long time ago.

After you move to Santo Domingo don't say we didn't warn you. :p

Juniper
 

ColoradoGirl

New member
Jan 30, 2005
85
0
0
Juniper said:
You guessed wrong! I live in Miami where my daughter goes to the university and we have a beautiful beach front apartment in Las Terrenas where we spend the winters and a house on a beautiful lake in Michigan where we spend the summers. I got out of Santo Domingo a long, long time ago.

After you move to Santo Domingo don't say we didn't warn you. :p

Juniper
We are not set on moving to Santo domingo it might be in juan dolio or even la romana thats why we are going to look at schools for our daughter, in those areas. does anyone have any ideas about schools in those two areas? My daughter has to go to an english speaking school.
 

Juniper

New member
Apr 15, 2004
406
4
0
[Here in Miami in the last 72 hours we have had two attempted child abductions from two different schools 9 vehicle deads from driving, and six murders.]

And obviously you haven't been reading the Dominican newspapers. Nor hearing about the things that are not reported in the news.

OK. There is no sense in saying anything else since you and your family are already committed to making the move. I sincerely wish you the best of luck. Who knows, maybe you will really like it there. Some people actually do.

Juniper