Moving mattress and stuff back to USA

Glenn Burke

Sep 12, 2023
Santo Domingo
By the way, my ex-wife used International Packers SRL, they are in Santo Domingo. It was 10 years ago, her destination was in Europe, and she paid for that service about 7500 dollars back then. They packed it all here inside the apartment, and then their partners unpacked everything in her apartment in the destination country. Full service, but crazy expensive. She also had some paperwork from her country's consulate that she's moving back permanently, to avoid paying customs duties in her country for all that stuff in the container, I have no idea what US citizens will do in that case. Remember, if you ship something that costs more than $800 to US, it's a subject to customs duties, I have no idea what you have to do to avoid that.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
after as long as you have been here, nothing should amaze you about what happens in the DR.. But when I have an hour, I will detail the last 2 years that drove me out. Actually heading to Medellin,, but figure its more of a logistical nightmare to Columbia from here. The bed is special, as I have back injuries.
First of all,it's spelled Col-O-mbia. I have lived in both ColOmbia and the DR off and on for almost 20 years,currently living in Manizales,ColOmbia. If you think Medellin is going to be a bed of roses think again. I love the country and it has top notch infrastructure and cleanliness compared to the DR (these are all generalizations) but Colombia does have a dark underbelly. For instance,I can walk anywhere day or night in Sosua with my Iphone 15 in my hand without much worry,try that almost anywhere in Colombia and you are taking your life in your hands. In the DR petty theft can be an issue,petty theft in Colombia can be life threatening. That said,there are areas of Colombia that are perfectly safe,Medellin is NOT one of them.

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
What you need is shipping in a freight container. So if it's just a mattress, it's not worth it, even if it's a $3000 mattress. But if you want to ship all your stuff and there's a lot of it, then put it all in the same container and ship it wherever you want. There are companies in Santo Domingo that can come to your home, pack all the stuff, put it in the truck, bring it to their facilities, put it in a container and ship it to any country you want, but it won't be cheap. When my ex-wife was moving to another country, she took all her stuff, some furniture, they came to my place, packed everything in one day, next day moved it to their warehouse, then a couple of days later it was on its way to the destination country. But once again, that was more than twice more expensive than your mattress costs. If you want it cheaper, you need to do a lot of work yourself, pack everything yourself, find a cheaper trucking service to get it to the shipper's warehouse, find a shipper who will give you a better price on container shipping, or maybe you can find another person to share a container with, to the same destination. But anyway, it will not be cheaper than your mattress costs. So if the only reason why you're still here in DR is that mattress, sell it for a fraction of its price here and leave, you will save a lot of time and money, trust me.
OMG.. I need to close escrow is why I am still physically here. After everything that happened to me in the past year, I just want to leave.
I set aside a month after I have the condo sold, to do the move and sell stuff orderly.. But I really have nothing of value other than the mattress.

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
First of all,it's spelled Col-O-mbia. I have lived in both ColOmbia and the DR off and on for almost 20 years,currently living in Manizales,ColOmbia. If you think Medellin is going to be a bed of roses think again. I love the country and it has top notch infrastructure and cleanliness compared to the DR (these are all generalizations) but Colombia does have a dark underbelly. For instance,I can walk anywhere day or night in Sosua with my Iphone 15 in my hand without much worry,try that almost anywhere in Colombia and you are taking your life in your hands. In the DR petty theft can be an issue,petty theft in Colombia can be life threatening. That said,there are areas of Colombia that are perfectly safe,Medellin is NOT one of them.
I had an entire ice cream store stolen at 3am in the morning from me and DiCRIM and prosecutor will do nothing, so my issue with the authorities isn't exactly petty theft. I was a cop. I also lived in Sosua for a year. Safety was never an issue for me in DR. Theft, corruption, and all around incompetence by the government and "professionals" is why I am leaving. I dont disagree ColOmbia is less safe, but I am not going out to clubs until 3am. I was in Poblado in May. The food was great and way cheaper. The stores were more fully stocked than a Publix. $5 for a six pack of Miller Lite. $12 for a full rack of the best baby back ribs I have ever had. There wasn't craters in the street every 5 feet.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I think it was about $3000 for 12 boxes and the mattress.. it was 8 years ago in 2016...
Any idea how much of that was just for the mattress? It might be easier and not that much more expensive to sell the mattress here and just buy the same one when you get to Miami(?). 2'X'2'X2' boxes we're running about $100 ea last time I checked.

Reactions: JD Jones

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
Any idea how much of that was just for the mattress? It might be easier and not that much more expensive to sell the mattress here and just buy the same one when you get to Miami(?). 2'X'2'X2' boxes we're running about $100 ea last time I checked.
No,,, I sent an email to Timeless for a quote for just the mattress because it sounds like they are organizing a container. The answered, but didn't follow up with a number. Its a decision I need to make once I know options. Its really hard letting go of this because everytime I take a trip, the mattress at he hotel causes back pain.. I cant see even getting a couple of hundred for it here, because everybody in the DR is tacano and isn't going to appreciate what a good soft mattress it is. It was $3000 new and worth every penny.

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
Well the result of my search is that getting my prized mattress back is impossible. Timeless was the only one to answer contact or email.. and they just said it was expensive, and refused to even give me a quote. This is kinda stupid, because if I am willing to pay $1000 that may be expensive to them, but not to me.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Its really hard letting go of this because everytime I take a trip, the mattress at he hotel causes back pain.. I cant see even getting a couple of hundred for it here, because everybody in the DR is tacano and isn't going to appreciate what a good soft mattress it is. It was $3000 new and worth every penny.
In my opinion, this may have nothing to do with people being cheap as such, but rather that there is no or very little market for that kind of a mattress... So in order for you to get someone to pay for it's real value, you would need to find someone who appreciates the value (=the right market), and that might not be easy...

For example, I would not be even close to your target market as the most I have ever spent on a mattress in the DR was like 30k in pesos new and I was perfectly fine with the mattress. That was at the time hideously expensive for me...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
In my opinion, this may have nothing to do with people being cheap as such, but rather that there is no or very little market for that kind of a mattress... So in order for you to get someone to pay for it's real value, you would need to find someone who appreciates the value (=the right market), and that might not be easy...

For example, I would not be even close to your target market as the most I have ever spent on a mattress in the DR was like 30k in pesos new and I was perfectly fine with the mattress. That was at the time hideously expensive for me...

You’re right about that. He might get lucky, depending on the brand and the willingness of someone to buy a used mattress. I’m one of those people who appreciates a good mattress. We had Tempurpedics in DR and USA, recently got rid of the one in USA and bought a Sleep Number. $7,300 and that was a big holiday sale, regular price was about 10K. Still have the one in DR, but wish it was a king.

• Wow
Reactions: cavok

Glenn Burke

Sep 12, 2023
Santo Domingo
No chance to sell it here for more than a few thousands pesos. And no point to move it back, as I mentioned earlier, it will cost more than a new mattress costs. $3000 is not a big loss if you want to leave the country and never come back.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
No chance to sell it here for more than a few thousands pesos. And no point to move it back, as I mentioned earlier, it will cost more than a new mattress costs. Just leave it, $3000 is not a big loss if you want to leave the country and never come back.
It's actually not a $3000 loss. Matresses, like everything/one else, depreciates. So even if he was in the USA, I doubt he could get anything more than 1/2 that. So a $1500 loss is not near as bad.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
Well the result of my search is that getting my prized mattress back is impossible. Timeless was the only one to answer contact or email.. and they just said it was expensive, and refused to even give me a quote. This is kinda stupid, because if I am willing to pay $1000 that may be expensive to them, but not to me.

Tonchi,
Everyone can have bad luck.
However when someone is having the sequences of bad luck you detail, maybe it is you making wrong choices.

The DR is not working out for you.
You have an 8 year old mattress you want to ship to Miami and then to Medellin.
Yes, infrastructure is much better in Colombia.
However those who know Colombia know that there are deep structural problems, which can affect anyone in Colombia.
Are you moving from the fire into the dying pan?

I would not buy a 8 year old used mattress, or any used mattress.
Those in the know, know that quality mattress are available for purchase in Colombia.
Maybe less hassle and more cost effective to spring for a new one!
Hey, you could even get one without springs, natural latex foam from rubber trees, or memory foams.

And for your back, a firm base with some softer surface foam would be beneficial.
You also want good ventilation for your mattress in hot humid climates, unless you run A/C continuously.

Safe travels, re-location and sweet dreams.

P.S.
Don't forget your stomach muscle exercises, to strengthen your back and stretching.:)

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
Tonchi,
Everyone can have bad luck.
However when someone is having the sequences of bad luck you detail, maybe it is you making wrong choices.

The DR is not working out for you.
You have an 8 year old mattress you want to ship to Miami and then to Medellin.
Yes, infrastructure is much better in Colombia.
However those who know Colombia know that there are deep structural problems, which can affect anyone in Colombia.
Are you moving from the fire into the dying pan?

I would not buy a 8 year old used mattress, or any used mattress.
Those in the know, know that quality mattress are available for purchase in Colombia.
Maybe less hassle and more cost effective to spring for a new one!
Hey, you could even get one without springs, natural latex foam from rubber trees, or memory foams.

And for your back, a firm base with some softer surface foam would be beneficial.
You also want good ventilation for your mattress in hot humid climates, unless you run A/C continuously.

Safe travels, re-location and sweet dreams.

P.S.
Don't forget your stomach muscle exercises, to strengthen your back and stretching.:)
I am really glad that you had all this time to give me your opinion.. You and your opinion are :poop:
I was asking about shipping information, not the views of some lunatic on DR1.
and PS.. Not moving to ColOmbia.. Going back to Florida and living a normal life where laws mean something.
Just wanted a very expensive mattress that relieves my back pain in Miami
If you have nothing to add to that, your opinions are not necessary