Moving Out of D.R

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
No doubt, the DR can be a risky travel destination but nothing like Mexico, Venezuela, Argentina, etc.

Exactly. I hear expats saying things like "This place is getting dangerous, I'm moving to...Colombia or Panama!". When you live in a country you get all the inner details such as crime rates, hearsay, etc. But when you just visit a country a few times you don't get the real picture. DR is much safer than most latin american countries. Don't get fooled.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Agreed. Ken took some heat yesterday, but I kind of agree with him. There will always be random acts of violence, anywhere in the world, but you can cut down dramatically on the odds. The horror of the dismembered German has been attributed to not paying someone what he owed. DR is not Disneyland, you do have to be careful of everything you do.

ken took the heat from me for a reason. it is one thing to minimize your chances of being attacked by installing alarms, having dogs, iron bars in windows, not going out after dark and so on. i'd even include not taking/selling drugs and not familiarizing yourself with criminals. but all that will not keep you immune from harm.

the thing i notice about crime in DR is not that there is more of it but that it is more random. saying the chopped up german got the axe treatment because he did not pay someone is a low blow. maybe he had a reason not to pay. maybe the worker did not do the job or did it incorrectly? we do not even know know whether it was the case at all, all the police says is a note from alleged killer. dismembering the body suggests stronger feelings towards the victim than bitterness at unpaid bill, wouldn't you say?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
ken took the heat from me for a reason. it is one thing to minimize your chances of being attacked by installing alarms, having dogs, iron bars in windows, not going out after dark and so on. i'd even include not taking/selling drugs and not familiarizing yourself with criminals. but all that will not keep you immune from harm.

the thing i notice about crime in DR is not that there is more of it but that it is more random. saying the chopped up german got the axe treatment because he did not pay someone is a low blow. maybe he had a reason not to pay. maybe the worker did not do the job or did it incorrectly? we do not even know know whether it was the case at all, all the police says is a note from alleged killer. dismembering the body suggests stronger feelings towards the victim than bitterness at unpaid bill, wouldn't you say?

I agree with you about the stronger feelings - but that eliminates the random suggestion

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
good catch. my example is faulty. the daily crimes are more random, more idiotic. an argument over domino table. a debt of 15 pesos. shouting at edenorte office. what the hell happens?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Random petty crimes - I feel as you do, but I feel that the killings , etc have a background - substantive reasons for them happening.

Just my feelings........

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, but in all those case someone was killed over this. that ain't petty crime.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Survival of the fittest, I guess.
I agree there should not be a risk of getting killed over a petty argument, but the smart person knows better and keeps away from such arguments. The dumb one argues and gets killed. Anyone who kills another over a domino table argument definitively deserves to die the same way and in due time they will, because they are not fit to live.
In more organized societies there are laws to defend the idiots from themselves. In DR idiots don't get to live very long. Some smart fall in the process (civilian casualties or collateral damages, NATO officials would say), but most are able to find a way around.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
again with this blame the victim thing. few weeks ago a man was killed because he was 5 pesos short of the full payment amount. 5 pesos short! how can you see him as a fool here?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

To me, taking the time to build a wall, dismember a body, etc., reeks of a crime of passion/rage, not a random act. This home had neighbors, a couple of them posted here, it's not like it's in the middle of nowhere like a mountain campo. He did something to royally **** someone off, probably more than being a grouchy old man. To someone desperate, not being paid what they feel is owed may be all it takes to "snap". If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck.....[yup, it's a duck!]

In most home invasions, it's robbery and get the hell out of there as fast as possible, fast kills if there is murder. The average murderer doesn't stick around for hours afterwards. He's probably gone from the area forever by now.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
again with this blame the victim thing. few weeks ago a man was killed because he was 5 pesos short of the full payment amount. 5 pesos short! how can you see him as a fool here?

Thing is, you don't get killed because of being 5 pesos short. You get killed because you start an argument, or because you try to lie, or because you behave like the one trying to collect from you is and idiot. This kind of things set people off and then violence occurs. Nobody kills another one for 5 pesos, you know that. A bullet is more expensive than that. Sharpening a macheteafter the butchering is more expensive than that.
Have you ever complained to a low class dominican about something they are doing wrong? they usually get all defensive and start to put the blame on you. That's when all hell breaks loose, and people end up killed.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
not necessarily true. one may try to explain they are 5 pesos short but they will give it back later today, in fact they will go home now and look for the money but this may fall on deaf ears. it only takes one side to be heated and on the edge.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
boring dump? without $$$ any place is a dump.

Some more than others.
It seems to me that Dominicans are not good at making cities. All the ones I visit are just a jumbled mess without charm or proper administration.
Green hills and beaches are fine but, believe me, there's lots of them around the world but without wild animals (other than two-legged) roaming around or dramatic peaks etc., that's all they'll ever be.

Not quite Kilimanjaro or not quite The Seychelles. Not quite the Alps and not quite Rome and so forth.

May of us have painted ourselves into a corner here so removal would be quite an upheaval.

Crime here is minimal in my equation but corrupt police and lop-sided laws are more worrying.

But where to go on a limited budget??

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
People, People, People...come on. get your heads on straight. The DR is not bad. Boring? Yes! Violent? No.

This is an island with 11 millions people just on the DR side!! For an island with 11 million people, but more then 20 million if you include Haiti, this is not bad at all. In fact, for me, i find it incredibly safe. Let me explain.

I travel around the island on a motorcycle. I go everywhere. there is not a corner or town, or village that i will not travel through at night, in the afternoon, during presidential elections. I go to brothels, i go to gambling houses, i go to remote beaches. i go up in the mountains, Everything that is expensive, i carry on me. he only thing i leave behind is my motorcycle...locked.

The only thing to fear is fear itself. I walk the Colonial ZOne at night. I can't do it during the daytime because its hotter then hell. I walk everywhere. I don't have a gun. don't want one!

Yes, the DR can be boring as hell sometimes, but that's why you need a good hobby or two. Start kite sutfing, motorcyling, gambling, surfing, paddle boarding, help a charity, sponsor some school children, write a book of your experiences etc. there is a million things you can do to kill the boredom. If none of those work, do what i do, leave the island for 4 months each year, and then return refreshed. you'll love it, and you'll have a whole new perspective of everything. I know. I've been doing it for over 30 years now.

But, please, do not think if you go to panama or columbia or thailand or wherever, that you are going to find paradise. paradise does not exist, and every place is what you make of it. Boredom will follow you everywhere you go unless you got some good hobbies in life. Venereal diseases will follow you everywhere unless you get some new friends. Life is what you make of it. So don't lye down with dogs, and you won't wake up with fleas!

Now get out there and buy a motorcycle and start exploring the island...it's big, its huge, its wonderful, it's beautiful, and the people are more than kind for the amount of deep seated poverty and sh!t of a government that they have. You're as close to paradise that you're going to find on an island with 20 million people (11 million on the DR side).

Love Frank

Hum! Interesting! You make a lot sense! If you want to leave there, there are risks involved!

Last edited:

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
To my opinion, and from what I hear from poeple I know, home invasions is the main problem...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i take back all i said before. right now i do not feel very generous and sympathetic towards victims of random crimes. our neighbour - another pesky german - is back from his vacation and his car is out again. instead of parking it behind the gate, in his driveway, like everyone else with an ounce of common sense, the dude stubbornly parks it on the street outside. right in front of our gate. which makes it very difficult for us to enter or exit. and it's not due to my crappy driving skills, occasionally miesposo also has to go back and forth in order to take the car out. and yes, i did talk to the dude, stressing not our difficulty but rather a worry that one of us may accidentally hit his car. our pleas fall on deaf ears. do i need to order a blue plastic barrel or what?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Jacki", Say It Isn't SO!!!!!!!

I had the pleasure of meeting young "Jaki" at the DR1 lunch at "IKEA" here in SD.
I hope my two sons here "Grow Up" just like him!
The DR's loss, will be some other,hopefully better, places gain.
The DR desperately needs men like "Jacki".
When I met him I actually though, "This guy is to "GOOD" to be living here.
Jacki, "God Speed".
Find a place where you can put down roots and grow stronger!
Tom
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
good question. I have my whole life here, so for me it would be very difficult to relocate.
For a singel person without any ties to this country it is just to leave. For the rest of us, well- we are stuck here!

Just because we couldnt keep our dick in our pants. :cheeky:

lmao!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i take back all i said before. right now i do not feel very generous and sympathetic towards victims of random crimes. our neighbour - another pesky german - is back from his vacation and his car is out again. instead of parking it behind the gate, in his driveway, like everyone else with an ounce of common sense, the dude stubbornly parks it on the street outside. right in front of our gate. which makes it very difficult for us to enter or exit. and it's not due to my crappy driving skills, occasionally miesposo also has to go back and forth in order to take the car out. and yes, i did talk to the dude, stressing not our difficulty but rather a worry that one of us may accidentally hit his car. our pleas fall on deaf ears. do i need to order a blue plastic barrel or what?

Hmmm.... a well placed ice pick perhaps. Not in the German, in a tire. :pirate: Might make him rethink parking outside.

We're packing, packing, packing some more, will probably have a barrel to spare if the ice pick doesn't work. :bunny:

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
of course, many crimes are due to social circles, behaviour... But, one must be honest and consider the facts...
Crimes, robberies, violence have increased quite amazingly recently. Why? I dont know...
But something must be done and its urgent

The reason for the rise in crime (most) is because of the economy. I said it at the beginning
of the year when food prices increased that desperation will lead many to steal like never
before and it's going to get worse.