Moving to DR this year

WRM

Aug 9, 2015
Private bilingual schools in DR are excellent. I have done a lot of research about them and their cost. For example New Horizons Bilingual School achieved position #5 in Harvard Debate.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Well to each their own, what about medical care ? Are you comfortable taking your children to a Dominican doctor for inoculation etc.Most people with any means here aspire to send their off spring stateside for an education. As far as college, which should be the goal, ever heard of anyone wanting to come here to go to college ? It's just not a goal. Anyway good luck to you.
Two points regarding this statement. The first, is that my child has received his inoculations here in the DR, free of charge from the local Catholic hospital. They are of the same type, and on the same schedule as immunizations in the US. No problem there. Second, I live a few blocks away from the university here in San Pedro (UCE), and they have a large contingent of foreign students in their law and medicine programs, many of whom are older students, who can't afford university level education in the States, nor want to take on huge student loan debt. So, yes, there are people who want to come here to attend college.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Let me know if you have any specific questions about Punta Cana International School and Punta Cana Village. We have lived here for almost nine years and our son has attended the school since 3rd grade.

WRM

Aug 9, 2015
Have you had a chance to see the DR1 thread about private schools?

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/47622-Private-Schools

There is a very thorough analysis of English and bilingual private school on that thread.

Personally we have friends who's children go to St. George and St. Joseph's in Santo Domingo. We live near New Horizons school and know someone that works there.
Thank you. I have not, but will check the link. Thank you.

WRM

Aug 9, 2015
Wow. Great resource. Thanks again

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Bringing young children here for your life style, some might say is selfish....Sorry.

Jésus Marie Joseph, give the guy a break...
Au contraire, I think it's a great idea to move here with young children as the kids will easily learn another language, discover another culture and mentality and that it's not everywhere that people get everything they want. What a great way to expose your children to something else than their belly button and that people can be happy and smiling while owning almost nothing...

It's called the "life experience", living it instead of seeing it on YouTube, Facebook or Discoveries Chanel... I wish I had the guts to do it when my kids were small... But it's never too late to live your dreams as I moved here, by myself, at age 51 in 2011.

Best decision of my life !!

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
To each his own approach.
I have my youngest here in the states to get a good real education. None of her many (dozens) aunts or uncles or cousins can spell worth a darn. None can construct a decent paragraph. Indictment of Public Schools, yes.
However, all the women can cook up a storm, work a broom and work hard. All the men can build a house with a machete and know their way around a bottle of rum.
To each his own.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Jésus Marie Joseph, give the guy a break...
Au contraire, I think it's a great idea to move here with young children as the kids will easily learn another language, discover another culture and mentality and that it's not everywhere that people get everything they want. What a great way to expose your children to something else than their belly button and that people can be happy and smiling while owning almost nothing...

It's called the "life experience", living it instead of seeing it on YouTube, Facebook or Discoveries Chanel... I wish I had the guts to do it when my kids were small... But it's never too late to live your dreams as I moved here, by myself, at age 51 in 2011.

Best decision of my life !!

I wish I could be so cavalier with the future of my family. But if you choose to put your kids into a failing education system, with poorly trained teachers and throw the dice with their future, good luck. The U.S offers incredible education opportunities for children like no other place in the world. The teachers are highly educated, many with Masters degrees. They are trained to identify strengths and weaknesses of children early on. There are thousands of college opportunities and college prep courses in grade school... Yea I know, no beach, no Dominos, no extreme poverty to expose them to so they can get a well rounded education.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
International School Sosua is on the order of 8000 USD per year per kid. The schools here that are even close to being on par with US school are pricey. If your kids have any special needs say for example dyslexia or add with HD you will not find a school here with a program. Garden variety kid who is a good student will not be harmed by a regular Dom private school for a year or so. Mixing with diverse students could be good. They will learn Spanish quickly.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If your kids have any special needs say for example dyslexia or add with HD you will not find a school here with a program.
"Here" as in Sosua or the DR generally? Because in SD I know of at least one school that does cater for those conditions and did a wonderful job. The student in question is now studying at a good European university.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
Can someone with young or small children tell me what is like to live in Las Terrenas or Punta Cana? Is it fun or boring? We are looking for a place with tons of activities for kids. Therefore, Santo Domingo, the city is our first choice, but would like to give a chance to those two places mentioned above. Thank you in advance for your help.

I have thought about retiring in the Dominican and I have a young one. If I did retire down there I would do private school and hopefully have enough money if he wanted to go to College in the United States later on.   I see pros and cons with moving down there with a young one.   I could start collecting a pension now and spend more time with my son in the Dominican.  

One thing I would like about Punta Cana is that is where all my friends from the United States visit.  Currently it is the only nonstop flight from Houston but is still not a cheap flight. Let me know how it works out.   

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I have the experience of both sides as my son went to school in the US and DR (private in DR). While I have no complaints about the education provided in the DR (he is now in college in the US) I can say the expenses added up. Tuition, books, uniforms, activities, etc.....added up. One of my nieces is in Colegio Santo Domingo and I would say yearly it is almost $4000.00 with the enrollment fee for each year, tuition, books, uniforms, etc...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Can someone with young or small children tell me what is like to live in Las Terrenas or Punta Cana? Is it fun or boring? We are looking for a place with tons of activities for kids. Therefore, Santo Domingo, the city is our first choice, but would like to give a chance to those two places mentioned above. Thank you in advance for your help.

If you are moving to the DR have you considered what the cost of residency will be? This process starts in your home country and you will need to get your documents together, translated to Spanish and approved by a DR consulate in the US. Then you will need to hire an attorney in the DR to complete the process for your family. It is not cheap when you are talking about a family. It could run you as much or more than $5000us dollars. Good luck and good travels

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have the experience of both sides as my son went to school in the US and DR (private in DR). While I have no complaints about the education provided in the DR (he is now in college in the US) I can say the expenses added up. Tuition, books, uniforms, activities, etc.....added up. One of my nieces is in Colegio Santo Domingo and I would say yearly it is almost $4000.00 with the enrollment fee for each year, tuition, books, uniforms, etc...

that isn't particularly expensive. If you were living in the states you would be paying school taxes, plus a variety of fees as well.