Moving to DR with children

Status
Not open for further replies.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Didn't realize you meant dental braces.....

I understand that dental costs here are much cheaper than the US. Lots of people have dental work done while they're here.
I was thinking orthopeadic braces....
Maybe one of the locals who has had dental work done here can give you a better idea of costs.......

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
No Wonder!!!

Mommc, you had me on that one. I couldn't imagine that we had to go to Miami to get braces!!! Sorry for the confusion.

billshar

Jan 15, 2002
While you say that your "special needs" child will not need certain services in the future, you really don't know. My wife had a 12 year old Down's girl in her Girl Scout troop in Kentucky. This girl had OT twice a week, swimming classes, gymnastics, etc. Most were partially provided by the state. You will find none of this in the DR.

As far a speech therapy - I doubt you will find a qualified english speaking therapist here. Maybe one who is here with her husband due to his work assignment. The schools here provide nothing. There are no handicap accessibility laws, no Americans with Disabilities laws.

With our autistic son, I will give serious thought before accepting another foreign assignment. Both my children really miss the USA and their activities, such as Cub Scouts and Girl Scouts. They have limited contact with local children. Two German/Dominican girls live next door but they are hardly ever outside their house to play.

Overall this has been a good experience for them BUT there are many bumps in the road.

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Thanks, Billshar

Thank you for the reply. You are absolutely right that we cannot predict what services our daughter will need. We will not move to where speech and OT are not even available on a consulatation basis.

So-----I guess we are crossing the DR off our list.

This leaves us with Costa Rica. We are going to head down there and check it out. We also have over a year to keep searching.

Thanks everyone for all the valuable input.

Enjoy your beautiful country!
mainer

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Costa Rica

I have been told and also have seen thru various books and articles that Costa Rica has probably the best health system in Latin America. They also have a very inexpensive National Health Plan which expats can participate in. Didn't bring it up in prior response as I did not want to disuade you from the DR, which I think you would do okay in. However, based on your worries about your child's health, Costa Rica would be a good choice also.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Just one question before you go.......

Why are you so set on leaving the land of the Almighty Dollar??
If you are not happy where you are there are many other areas of the States to move to. Especially if you are an RN.
I've been told the US has the best health care services in the world and have even travelled down with my own handicapped son for specialized rehab treatment that was not available in Canada (at the time 21 yrs ago -it is now! I helped make it available in Canada).

Just curious!!

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Mommc, it's a long, long, story

1. Rat Race. It is very cold here, the ice is not yet out on the lake. We checked out the South and have found a lot of racism. I have one sister in Louisiana and one in Florida. Neither has the lifestyle that we want.
We really enjoy the "chill factor" of the Carribean.

2. Suicide. We are REALLY involved with the area youth. The number of suicide attempts at the area middle and high schools is astounding. The youth, in general, have no respect for authority, which includes teachers and parents. I am not saying that all teens are like this, but enough to disrupt education for everyone.

3. Drugs. I live in a remote town in Maine. Guess what the drug of choice is among our teens. Heroin. I am not making this up. We just lost another 16 year old to a heroin overdose. My RN specialty is community health nursing. I am not working now, but I still am very involved. My husband is also involved through his work. I think that we see more than the average parent because we are directly involved and know about most of the events that are kept "hushed" from the public.

4. Community Service. We want to become involved in a Peace Corps type mission to help poor children in developing countries. We both have a lot of skills that we can share. Why not join the Peace Corps, you may ask. They do not allow children. The United Nations allows two, but I am not taking a chance of being sent overseas with my kids during the unrest in the Middle East. They could easily be shipped home. WITHOUT MOM.

5. Money. We have enough to do this. We have an account set aside for college, and are keeping enough in reserve to move back if we want/need to. We are certainly not rich (not by US standards), but we are comfortable enough. My kids need to know that there is more to life than making more money and buying more stuff. We have such a materialistic society!

6. What an experience for us and the kids. The kids will become bilingual and have an opportunity to learn a lifestyle of serving others. Now, I don't plan to keep them totally deprived! I am not Mother Teresa, but I think we can have a compromise. They don't have T.V. here in the States and we have no complaints. They will probably be very happy in a more relaxed society.

Some people think we are nuts, and maybe we are. I want you to rest assured that the safety and well-being of our children will come FIRST. That is why I have asked all the questions and researched so many places. Maybe we are wrong. But we will never know if we don't try.

Mainer

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Those are very excellent reasons for moving, I mean why not? Follow your heart and the sun! Good luck!

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Thanks Meredith

I will add you to the (very short) list of people who don't think we are crazy!

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
put me on the list too!

I agree with Meredith, each one of those reasons is valid enough to move to the DR! Wait till you are there for a while and see how friendly and open most of the people are - different from some New Englanders (I'm a New Englander so I can say that). I hope everything works out wonderfully!

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Unlike many others who have thought of moving on the spur of the moment it sounds like youhave thought it all out and come to some pretty good conclusions. Whether you go to the DR or Costa Rica, I wish you and your family well. I thought seriously about retirement in Costa Rica but if I am still by myself at that time I will opt for the DR, simply because I grew up there and still have an affection for it.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Sounds like a plan!!

If I were you I'd plan on using a school vacation period to actually come down here for two months and personally check things out!
Too bad I'm leaving tomorrow or I would find out for you about speech and OT (have you taken the course for "At Home" speech therapy.....I had too -none was available where I lived and I was IT!! Worked out well for me!).

Also have you looked at South America?

Samuel J Jordan

May 23, 2004
Can you give some more specific information on the mothers who are working with their children's disabilities. I am an educator here in the US and will be down in the DR in August looking to talk with anyone working in the disability field. Please reply to: samandsilvi@msn.com

Thanks. I apprecaite the help.

Hillbilly said:
I'll take my cue from MommC and say, Hello, I'm Hillbilly, a 40 year resident of the DR, who has raised a large-well huge might be a better word-family here.

1) The kids. I would expect that your first answers of Santiago and Santo Domingo could be complimented with others, like La Vega, Moca, Jarabacoa, Mao, since all of them are less than 45 minutes from Santiago, where in two years there will be world class health care available at HOMS-the Metropolitan Hospital of Santiago. There is also more than adequate educational facilities, and commuting is a way of life to you in the States so a 45 minute drive is nothing extraordinary--It gets the juices flowing... There is also an International Airport connected to the rest of the world-NYC, Miami, etc... I am sorry, I do not like Santo Domingo. It is huge (close to 3,000,000), dirty, and very chaotic. It IS the center of the Dominican universe, but I cannot imagine raising children there, although lots of nice people do it every day. It is also very expensive (I would guess at least RD$50,000 for a family of four:: Say $3,500 a month?) And I could be way, way off, if your child's special needs are really very special. On the other hand, it could be done for a good deal less in the smaller cities, with no decrease in the care provided..

There are local groups for Down's, Hemophilia, and other children's special problems. They are a wonderful, tight knit group of ladies that are ferociously guarding their children's health and needs.

2) Housing. Much less expensive in the North, around Santiago. US$500 can get a reasonable 3 BR, 1 1/2 bath, 2 car garage in a nice area, not far from anything...I am presuming that you will be moving all your "stuff" with you as well as your cars-Now that will be an experience, but it is doable if you have patience....

3) Living. there is plenty to get into here: Intense social life, business, NGOs, all sorts of stuff. You have time to plan...

Since this is, indeed, a major decision on your part, I am sure everyone here will counsel prudence and patience as well as a visit to prospective sites.

Feel free to email me with more questions.

A cordial welcome from the HB

sunnyvillas

Blocked due to spamming
Apr 29, 2003
moving to DR

Hola to all,

I just like to add my 2 cents to the post about moving.
I think the best question was , if you ever been to DR and for how long.
I have been going to the Caribbean Islands since 1986 ( as my business takes me there every year) and I found many things that would drive me absolutely nuts about the Island life.
No disrespect to any living in DR, Jamaica or Mexico, but I couldn't do it and I speak from a personal experience after spending not just vacation time, but over 6 month at the time .

First of all, I like to make a comment about Jamaica, that the local are not as friendly,hmmm, not the Jamaicans I have met for the past 18 years going there every day. I found Jamaicans to be much more honest and have more integraty than the Dominicans( sorry) and be more of a true friend and not only because of the money!

Of course if you stay in the resort and come out for fresh air only once, they will try to sell you drugs, as it is widely available there, but all you have to say" NO,Thank you" and they are gone. I am sorry you didn't enjoy Jamaica, but you can't really talk about the country going for a short visit and especially staying at the resort.
No matter what country I visist, I try to get a villa, and that how my business started, as I wanted to spend my time in the country in the living area and not a resort.

The same thing about DR, if you will stay in the resort, eveyone there will tell you hw dangerous it is to be outside of the property, but try to expand your horizons and spend the time with the people and the locals.

I would suggest you take a trip to Sosua for few month and try to see if you will love it. There are many ex-pats living there form all over the world and that would the easiest place to fit in and feel comfy.

But that's my 2 cents. All the best to you !

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
sunnyvillas said:
Hola to all,

I have been going to the Caribbean Islands since 1986 ( as my business takes me there every year) and I found many things that would drive me absolutely nuts about the Island life.
No disrespect to any living in DR, Jamaica or Mexico, but I couldn't do it and I speak from a personal experience after spending not just vacation time, but over 6 month at the time .

First of all, I like to make a comment about Jamaica, that the local are not as friendly,hmmm, not the Jamaicans I have met for the past 18 years going there every day. I found Jamaicans to be much more honest and have more integraty than the Dominicans( sorry) and be more of a true friend and not only because of the money!

Of course if you stay in the resort and come out for fresh air only once, they will try to sell you drugs, as it is widely available there, but all you have to say" NO,Thank you" and they are gone. I am sorry you didn't enjoy Jamaica, but you can't really talk about the country going for a short visit and especially staying at the resort.
No matter what country I visist, I try to get a villa, and that how my business started, as I wanted to spend my time in the country in the living area and not a resort.

The same thing about DR, if you will stay in the resort, eveyone there will tell you hw dangerous it is to be outside of the property, but try to expand your horizons and spend the time with the people and the locals.

I would suggest you take a trip to Sosua for few month and try to see if you will love it. There are many ex-pats living there form all over the world and that would the easiest place to fit in and feel comfy.

Your two cents are a little too late. This thread was started two years ago, and we spent last winter in the DR. I would suggest that you read through DR1 a bit more before giving advice on two year old posts.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
sunnyvillas said:
Hola to all,

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus Rimma, I have to tell you I have been to Jamaica 15 times and I even got married there so I do talk somewhat from experience. If you think they leave you alone with a simple no thanks that ain't even close and I wonder what planet you were on when you visited there.

After 2 weeks in Jamaica, I don't want no STANKIN GONJA, I AIN'T your STANKIN BROTHER and I hate FLUCKIN REGGAE! I don't ever want to SEE another Jamaican let alone SPEAK to one for a Friggin YEAR after going there and then when I return I wonder how FREAKIN STUPID ""I" was for going back to begin with.

Now to give a bit more of a comparison, the people are NOT have as pleasant looking as Dominicans, I wouldn't trust Jamaicans as far as I can throw them, if you befriend one you may find that they stashed dope in your suitcase to take back to the states without your knowledge.

Gosh, how did I get on this? LOL

Scott

sunnyvillas

Blocked due to spamming
Apr 29, 2003
Hi Scott,

I am so sorry you didn't have a good time in Jamaica eithere. All I was trying to say, that I had nothing but great experience there and go back every year, and so many of myt friends and family. It has nothing to do with Ganja or being my brother, I guess I just see things different than you do.

I have befrended many Jamaicans since 1986 and I have done a lot of business o0n the Island and still do, that's why I find your comment about trusting jamaicans as far as you can throw really surprises me. I have done over 200 people ceminars, wedding, family reunions and they have trusted me with the money for the londging, food and transportations month and month until I got to the Island and until the last guest left to collect for the services and to see if everything went fine.
The staff in the villas, that make only $80-100 per month, called me to let me know that there was food left in the freezers and in the storage, that I had no clue about and wasn't even concerned with. So you tell me about trust and honesty!!!!

And I have never found any ganja in my suitcase or inanyone's I know.
As I said, I have been doing rental business in jamaica since 1986 and had nothing but great experience and respect for the people, may be that's the difference between people, that you have to treat them the same way you want to be treated yourself and will have a different holidays!

sunnyvillas

Blocked due to spamming
Apr 29, 2003
I forgot to ask you one more thing Scott, why did you come back 15 times if it was that horrible????
I just don't get it. Sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.