Moving to the DR, our story

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
So far, this is the best and most important post I have read...

Now, I really think I'm ready to go settle over in Paradise!!!

Thanks...hope to meet you once I'm there!!!

JoeTurist

Jan 30, 2003
Great stuff!!!

Next time someone in DR, will ask me: "Why don't you move here?" or "When you guys move here?" I will handle them this little novella, printed out on 4 sheets of paper.
Thanks Tim!
J.T.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Part 4

The last few months.

The 1st week of November, we flew back to NY. We spent 5 days shopping for Christmas. We bought everything from our fiber optic Christmas tree, lights and decorations for the house, toys and presents. We originally went with a budget of $ 2500. U.S. dollars to spend. But as we shopped and we realized how much cheaper things that could be bought here, were costing us there, we hit the $ 4000..
I got my kids the new Playstation 2, for $ 200. U.S., here it was over $ 6,500. pesos,(Befor the 3 Kings celebration). The exact same tree here was $ 8000. pesos, in NY
I paid $ 120. in U.S. dollars.

I?m lucky that the Company I work for, sends a container here every week. I am allowed to put my stuff on the container, and 2 weeks later, I make a donation to the Customs Official, at the front gate, as I take my stuff home. ( You are not supposed to be able to do this in the FREE TRADE ZONES).

We celebrated a Fantastic Christmas, a huge family dinner, and gifts for every kid.

Speaking of work.

I work for a U.S. company.
A small portion of my pay-check is paid in pesos, every 2 weeks, just like most of the workers get paid here.
My U.S. portion is in dollars, every week, direct deposit. I take advantage of the U.S. tax exemption for that part. ( I would rather not get into the details on this, you can easily find out on you own)

I have been putting together a list of overseas companies, contacts, what they do, and who and where to contact. ( 90% of the time, you need to be hired by the parent company, and sent over here) I will get all of this up with in the next 2 weeks.

Do NOT come here thinking you are going to get a great paying job. If you do?GET IN LINE!

I have been a reader not a poster, until now. I WANT TO THANK EVERYBODY, for these forums. They have been a great source of information, entertainment, and the fact that we are not alone here doing this.

So Thank?s to everybody for the positive post?s on this. And welcoming us into the Forums. The next time you guys get together, we will defiantly, be making the trip.
And I will get some photos posted, so you can put faces to all of us.

In the meantime, I need help

The last week in February, marks something I want to celebrate with my wife.

1st, Our Wedding Anniversary.
2nd, Our first full year, living and working here.

Please go to General Travel and read my post, and maybe leave some suggestions.

Thanks agian to Everybody
Tim & Mechi

Last edited:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Every other week or so we get hit with a wave of newbies. Most just post fluff and generally amuse us or annoy us. And then there are people like Timex, who in his first posts pretty much spells out the whole idea of living in the DR.

Timex, your posts are informative, straightforward, respectful, realistic and educational. I am glad you are here, I am even glad about the fluffies now.

Keep it going.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Great stories,especially to those of us that have "LIVED' them too!

I have only one question,how can you spend 19,000 pesos at the supermarket,and 45,000 pesos per month?45,000 pesos is the GNP of Haina!!I have 10 people living,eating,and sleeping in my house,and we spend only half that amount.Would you like to adopt us? Cris Colon

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
W@W a ton o info for the inexpensive price of a few minutes reading.

Rob maybe since this is now a sticky you may want to change the topic heading to "Bible of info to move to the DR" if it is okay with Timex.

BTW: Glad to see it is still working!:) Your watch of course!!!

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
To: Criss Colon

The 1st time out shopping, you have to picture this.
We went from the hotel to the house, with suitcases in hand.

Yes my Refrigerator came from the U.S., as well as my dishes, pots, silverware, THATS IT.

We not only had to go stock up on everything, but items you would only buy, maybe every other month, we also needed.
Salt, pepper, ketchup, etc,etc, paper plates. Take a look around your kitchen, and picture having to replace every single thing except the appliances in 1 trip to the market. A mop, bucket, broom, and so on, + so on. I think you get the idea.

I still can't get over the cost of Paper towels, plates, napkins, TP, every time I go.

$ 45,000. pesos @ month, includes every single expense for the whole month. Electric, rent, help, colmado, shopping.
Why just my monthly bill for Cervesa, is enough to probably support Haina.
I will admit that our monthly deposits for long distance Codetel, vary between $5000. to $8,000. @ month.
When we realized after the 1st year that we moved $ 65,000. U.S dollars through the ATM's, My wife and I set up a daily ledger and accounted for every peso we spent, for 1 month.
At the end of the month, we added it up.
It amazed us that it came to $ 42,000. we both predicted much lower amounts.
So now we watch the Centavos, and the Peso's take care of them self's.

Thanks
Tim H.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You might want the Codetel("JODETEL") service

That blocks all long distance calls,and maybe more important "1",and "0" as first digit dialed! No more calls to celulars for several thousand pesos per month! Often relatives,and "friends" come to your house during the day to take advantage of the "FREE SERVICE"!It is hard for wives of "RICH" gringos to say NO! this will reduce your phone bill to the cost of "VIP" service 6 or 7oo pesos per month?Should save you 7,000 pesos per month! Let all those people who are so important call YOUR house!! If you got $65,000 from the US via cash machines,you probably lost a bundle on their shitty exchange rate too!How about listing your email,or open the "PM" icon on DR1?Lots of ex Navy here!I think you can still reduce your cost of living Cris

Last edited:

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Tim,

For your personal calls to the States, presumably paid by you, you can reduce the cost to about 2 cents per minute using a pc to phone connection.

Dial from your pc and the party answers from his phone. He doesn't even know you're phoning from a pc. The quality is degraded somewhat, but is worth it for the huge saving.

DMT

Nov 4, 2002
Timex

I have been a long time reader of the forum here and have learned much from this forum. Your posts are excellent. I have been living in the DR for a little over 2 years, and have had many of the same experiences.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Hey DMT, If you have been living in the DR for 2 years and you are a long time reader, you should take a stab at telling your own story. I would bet you too could provide a wealth of information to those of us who are on our way.

GREAT POST TIMEX, THANKS

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
This is by far one of the best posts I have ever read in this forum! Thanks!

Hopefully you'll stick around. Oh, and tell that brother-in-law of yours to bring you by the Santo Domingo plant one day and we'll be able to chat then! ;)

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
jojocho???

You know Carlos???
If yes, I try to get to the club next door with the kids every weekend. E-Mail me, lets get together.
(Oops, wrong direction, You mean the other Plant, in the Capital, 35 workers, 50,000. blocks@ day X 2 machines)

Hopefully you'll stick around

This is HOME.

As far as the Forums, I've been a reader(student learning from others) untill now.

Now we have the time to make Friends, and explore this Island.

Tim H.

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Great Post Timex. Welcome to the DR1
Speaking of prices how much is gasoline right now? In Canada it has gone to .77 cnd a liter

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Timex,

I say Deja v?!, on behalf of every expat on the board.

Can you imagine how the learning experience would have been having done it without direct help from a Domincan that can be fully trusted? Ouch!