Much safer in the DR than the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
She is living in Punta Cana correct? So of course it all seems good. Life outside of Punta Cana is much different on a day to day basis.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Considering she is from South Carolina and lived in Georgia, two states that have lets say a peculiar history with blacks in general, for her the DR is an eye opener in more ways than one.

There is one Dominican I met not too long ago. She lived in Alabama for a few years prior to returning to the DR (lived in another state between the time in Alabama and back in the DR). She had to repeat to me where in the USA she lived, Ala-what? The last state to remove antimiscegenation laws (in 1999; yeah, that’s no typo)? Well, that’s one state I’m never going to out of principle. She assured her experience there was mostly positive, but no need to go to Alabama. Plus, there is no “must see once in a lifetime” places there. She is exactly what that state didn’t want to exist almost up to this century.
We have Dominican friends that live in Alabama and they love it. They have been there for about twenty years.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Considering she is from South Carolina and lived in Georgia, two states that have lets say a peculiar history with blacks in general, for her the DR is an eye opener in more ways than one.

There is one Dominican I met not too long ago. She lived in Alabama for a few years prior to returning to the DR (lived in another state between the time in Alabama and back in the DR). She had to repeat to me where in the USA she lived, Ala-what? The last state to remove antimiscegenation laws (in 1999; yeah, that’s no typo)? Well, that’s one state I’m never going to out of principle. She assured her experience there was mostly positive, but no need to go to Alabama. Plus, there is no “must see once in a lifetime” places there. She is exactly what that state didn’t want to exist almost up to this century.
You're missing out.
Alabama still has that unique Southern charm and hospitality, as well as fried green tomatoes.

The Crimson Tide rules!

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The author referred to the DR as a tiny Caribbean country. I think she is confusing it with Dominica.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
No wonder she feels safer here - Atlanta is rated as only safer than 5% of other cities. It must be like night and day:

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
To each there own and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Cliché? Anyway, I've been living here consistently for the past 22 years in Santo Domingo Este. I arrived with my wife and children at the age of 35 for a work opportunity and never left. I've never been carjacked nor have I had my car stolen or my home invaded. I have not been the victim of a petty crime nor have I been robbed at gun point. I feel safe here in DR.

I've travelled all over the island and party in rough neighborhoods. I've Gotten drunk with strangers, engaged in all kind of reckless behavior both alone and accompanied by friend and family and I've made questionable choices. All this exposure without ever trouble finding me. Yep feel very safe here.

Is this utopia or the panacea of safety? Most certainly not. However I've fared better here in DR than many of my family members in USA. For reference I have family in the following cities: Bergenfield & Newark NJ, Manhattan & Bronx NY, Virginia Beach VA, Portland OR, Atlanta GA, Denver CO and finally Gainesville, Fort Lauderdale & Miami FL. All the crimes mentioned in the first paragraph happened to a family member in one of the listed cities in USA. Again I feel safe in DR YMMV.

Don't take my word as gospel, I simply want to offer my 25¢ (would have been 2¢ but with inflation and all that jazz...). It doesn't matter where you go in the world safety should be of paramount importance. People should always exercise caution and use common sense anywhere in the world they chose to live or visit. Did I by any chance mentioned that I feel safe in DR? :ROFLMAO:

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Married to a photographer on a party boat. Sounds like a marriage made in heaven. Long may it last.

However, I'm sure that depending where she comes from in the USA, and where she lives here, she could certainly feel safer.
Yeah, there's a few variables there. Some towns I loved I wouldn't be caught there now.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I feel very safe in the DR,safer than living in the U.S.? that's a laugher. There is a reason that 99% of the homes not in gated communities in the DR have bars on all doors and windows and armed guards at the entrance to all banks,not where I live in the U.S.. I haven't locked my car or the doors to my house EVER in any home that I have owned in the U.S.,I would be a fool to do that in the DR. I live in a building with 6 apartments just around the corner from CMC in Sosua,a quiet neighborhood relatively speaking. The building is four years old. When the building was built it had a high wall around the property but no bars on the windows and doors,there were two break-ins within the first three months of the apartments being occupied. The occupants were home at the time in one of the instances. Now there is razor wire on top of the wall and bars on all windows and doors. DR safer than the U.S.,surely you jest.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
To each there own and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Cliché? Anyway, I've been living here consistently for the past 22 years in Santo Domingo Este. I arrived with my wife and children at the age of 35 for a work opportunity and never left. I've never been carjacked nor have I had my car stolen or my home invaded. I have not been the victim of a petty crime nor have I been robbed at gun point. I feel safe here in DR.

I've travelled all over the island and party in rough neighborhoods. I've Gotten drunk with strangers, engaged in all kind of reckless behavior both alone and accompanied by friend and family and I've made questionable choices. All this exposure without ever trouble finding me. Yep feel very safe here.

Is this utopia or the panacea of safety? Most certainly not. However I've fared better here in DR than many of my family members in USA. For reference I have family in the following cities: Bergenfield & Newark NJ, Manhattan & Bronx NY, Virginia Beach VA, Portland OR, Atlanta GA, Denver CO and finally Gainesville, Fort Lauderdale & Miami FL. All the crimes mentioned in the first paragraph happened to a family member in one of the listed cities in USA. Again I feel safe in DR YMMV.

Don't take my word as gospel, I simply want to offer my 25¢ (would have been 2¢ but with inflation and all that jazz...). It doesn't matter where you go in the world safety should be of paramount importance. People should always exercise caution and use common sense anywhere in the world they chose to live or visit. Did I by any chance mentioned that I feel safe in DR? :ROFLMAO:
Some people are magnets of the less savory types. They are target of crimes even in the safest places. People need to keep that in mind.

Reactions: bob saunders

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I feel very safe in the DR,safer than living in the U.S.? that's a laugher. There is a reason that 99% of the homes not in gated communities in the DR have bars on all doors and windows and armed guards at the entrance to all banks,not where I live in the U.S.. I haven't locked my car or the doors to my house EVER in any home that I have owned in the U.S.,I would be a fool to do that in the DR. I live in a building with 6 apartments just around the corner from CMC in Sosua,a quiet neighborhood relatively speaking. The building is four years old. When the building was built it had a high wall around the property but no bars on the windows and doors,there were two break-ins within the first three months of the apartments being occupied. The occupants were home at the time in one of the instances. Now there is razor wire on top of the wall and bars on all windows and doors. DR safer than the U.S.,surely you jest.
How many break ins after those were added?

Reactions: SKY

Duece

Mar 11, 2004
I am from Georgia and I have lived here 20 years and have never been robbed or threatened in any way. When I lived in Georgia I was never robbed or threatened in any way. I guess I am a lucky guy.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I've had 2 phones stolen and 2 attempted backpack thefts. They won one and I won the other. Still, shit like that doesn't bother me much. It doesn't make me feel unsafe. There are many areas of Chicago, Baltimore, NY, and St. Louis that I would never go to because I would feel unsafe. This coming Sunday I'll be walking from Parque Enriquillo to Clinica Abreu and back during the day. Feel totally safe doing that.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
I totally agree with this. I thought I was only one that was baffled by that statement. The DR is not the safe haven the blogger described. In fact, quite the opposite. I hope she does not find that out the hard way.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Lots of property crime in the DR, less violent crime. I have stayed in areas of Medellin Colombia where there is no iron on the windows or doors whatsoever but the city crime rate is very high. Bars, gates and fences keep out the honest people and JWs. My wife says growing up in Jarabacoa almost nobody locked the doors on their houses. Things have changed. Growing up in British Columbia we didn't lock our doors either , but we had two Rhodesian Ridgebacks and giant Schnauzer, better than any lock.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I've had 2 phones stolen and 2 attempted backpack thefts. They won one and I won the other. Still, shit like that doesn't bother me much. It doesn't make me feel unsafe. There are many areas of Chicago, Baltimore, NY, and St. Louis that I would never go to because I would feel unsafe. This coming Sunday I'll be walking from Parque Enriquillo to Clinica Abreu and back during the day. Feel totally safe doing that.
Lots of folks are feeling safe sure i get that. Sure Chicago is a real tough spot. I lived in the Bronx and felt safe. Not at 3am.

That said, I've lived in many areas of this place over the past 18 years and I can give you a laundry list of places that would have

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
I totally agree with this. I thought I was only one that was baffled by that statement. The DR is not the safe haven the blogger described. In fact, quite the opposite. I hope she does not find that out the hard way.
USADR
School Mass Shooting
Public Mass shooting
Terror Attacks
City Bombing
Smash & Grab
Car Jacking
Car Theft
Kidnapping
Petty crimes
Robbery at Gun Point
Burglary