Mudanzas: Post Your Shipper

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Only food allow in those tankes ? Or can you put old clothes or new clothes or electrodoméstics ?

One friend from NYC told me only FOOD CAN be send , then another friend told FOOD AND CLOTHES

AND THEN my aunt tells me she puts anything at longest is NOT ilegal

What is the right official answer on what can go inside or NOT inside those TANKES from those shipping companies from NYC

Anything that’s legal. Food, clothes, shoes, candles, kitchen items (appliances, silverware, dishes, etc), sports equipment, bedding. Just be sure you tell the shipper what’s in there. Take off tags, new stuff out of boxes.

Reactions: rey

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Anything that’s legal. Food, clothes, shoes, candles, kitchen items (appliances, silverware, dishes, etc), sports equipment, bedding. Just be sure you tell the shipper what’s in there. Take off tags, new stuff out of boxes.
Ah a veteran shipper. This is great advice.

The only thing I've been saying for years is for visitors to the site "mudanza" is not this. A mudanza is Vinny, joey and Tony driving a white washed U-Haul who come and move your packed boxes from your old house to the new. It would be so much easier for newcomers and present members who don't espeaky pany to title it as simply oversees/maritime shipping or something like that. IMO!

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Ah a veteran shipper. This is great advice.

The only thing I've been saying for years is for visitors to the site "mudanza" is not this. A mudanza is Vinny, joey and Tony driving a white washed U-Haul who come and move your packed boxes from your old house to the new. It would be so much easier for newcomers and present members who don't espeaky pany to title it as simply oversees/maritime shipping or something like that. IMO!
Actually, it's more like José, Raul, and Carlos in an old, beat-up truck.

Reactions: Lucifer
Aug 21, 2007
My non-profit has a donor who has offered to buy us a wooden swing set and slide for our playground. The wood and parts consist of 4 boxes shipped on a pallet weighting 600 pounds. The cost for the swing set is $1,300. I have gotten a quote here to have it built here and just order the slide and swings which are plastic, but the cost was more than double.

Two shippers were contacted in the US, Awilda and Camden Cargo Express. Neither could give me a cost estimate without seeing the goods.

I can pay up to $1,000 in shipping, but no more.

Is it worth the chance to just order it and send it to one of them?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
My non-profit has a donor who has offered to buy us a wooden swing set and slide for our playground. The wood and parts consist of 4 boxes shipped on a pallet weighting 600 pounds. The cost for the swing set is $1,300. I have gotten a quote here to have it built here and just order the slide and swings which are plastic, but the cost was more than double.

Two shippers were contacted in the US, Awilda and Camden Cargo Express. Neither could give me a cost estimate without seeing the goods.

Wouldn't shipping companies accept a video or photos of the merchandise? I'm sure shippers of heavy machinery don't send more than that for cost estimates. I assume a a not for profit you don't pay duty, correct?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Typically, the mudanza wants to see it.
I have never been shocked/disappointed in their price

Hopefully, someone who has shipped heavy things like this can offer help.

Largest I have shipped is a BIG BBQ...... can't remember the price

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have shipped fridges and stoves but those have number built in for duty
They were $300 and under in total

Interestingly, used fridges are $50 less than new
Luckily my ‘scratch’ dents’ passed for used !!

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

That's the frustrating thing I found about Awilda Shipping. I gave them a description of the item, it's dimensions, and what it weighed. I told them I just wanted an estimate. No good. You have to ship it to them to get a quote. It's like playing the lottery.

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I told them I'd send them a link to the item on Amazon so they could see it. No good. I just wanted an estimate - a price range. I'll never use people that inflexible. Too anal.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Then they're total idiots also if they want to try to make that lame argument. It's perfectly reasonable to ask for and get an estimate. An estimate in not legally binding. I can ask BM Cargo for an estimate and get one with no problem.

bookbox

Feb 16, 2008
Does anybody have experience of shipping from the UK or the EU to DR? Any references would be gratefully received! Thanks!

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
That's the frustrating thing I found about Awilda Shipping. I gave them a description of the item, it's dimensions, and what it weighed. I told them I just wanted an estimate. No good. You have to ship it to them to get a quote. It's like playing the lottery.
That's because in most cases the "before" and the "after" are two completely different animals.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
A certain element of trust is involved - Yes

But I have never been surprised or disappointed
In all my years with them

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I don't follow - before and after what?
For example, the gym set Lindsey wants is probably very small in its unassembled state, and much larger when it's assembled.
Another example would be IKEA products. Many times there is a big difference in size between the box they give you and the completed item.

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
For example, the gym set Lindsey wants is probably very small in its unassembled state, and much larger when it's assembled.
Another example would be IKEA products. Many times there is a big difference in size between the box they give you and the completed item.
Ok. I don't see what that has to do with the shipper though(?). It's still in the box when they get it and they don't put it together and deliver it to you assembled.