Mudanzas: Post Your Shipper

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Review: Awilda Shipping

We recently shipped in total a total of 11 large and relatively heavy boxes from Germany to Puerto Plata (from Germany up until New York with DHL, then with Awilda), and just wanted to post this review, as this mudanza was also recommended by William Webster on this forum.

So: Can recommend, excellent service from the beginning to the end. We sent the parcels from Germany on August 12th and they arrived September 11th. The handling of the parcels had been seemingly rough, but that's something you can expect on a long journey like that, and the parcels not being the roughest kind there is.

We were contacted immediately when Awilda had received the shipment. We were given the option to pay everything to the driver when they would arrive, and again, excellent service, the driver confirmed the place of delivery and even asked us to check the contents so that everything was fine.

Once there's need to get some items we need from the US or Europe, will definitely be using them again.

Price: 2363 DOP / box, each having a weight of about 40-60 lbs and the dimensions of a large moving parcel.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Glad to hear that Josh.

The payment snag is what I don't like about Awilda... pay by cash or check in the US or the delivery by cash
However..... the service has always been good.

About $50US a box - bigger box - not too bad and your time was fast !!

Usually 2 weeks +/- in the summer , a bit longer in season and slower still in Nov/Dec (which I avoid)

Banged up boxes can happen - with 2 shippers in your case, almost sure to happen.

I used a different mudanza once and most things were broken.
Once with Awilda a fridge arrive with a broken tube at the back - the driver pointed it out.
They took it back , fixed it , and delivered it the next day... incredible

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

I remember that well, Mr. AE gave them an earful over that episode. We felt bad because we recommended them.

I have to say, I think it was bad luck and an aberration, IMO. Since Bella Vista stopped operations, we've used Camden Shipping exclusively, large and small shipments, never an issue at all. I just sent a box to a friend in Mao, arrived quickly and in perfect condition. Last shipment to our house was a weed whacker, generator, 6 large boxes, and loose/outside of boxes was 100 pounds of rice, 50 pounds of bread flour and 5 gallons of oil, (loose items all at no extra charge).

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
I'd be interested in a list of dialed in customs brokers that can receive containers into the DR. Rio Haina, SD, POP. Also, once the container arrives, moving/storage companies to devan containers and deliver to door.

Anyone ever work with L&G?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The mudanzas have that list - price is quoted delivered after customs/duty.

AS to delivery = talk to a Freight Forwarder like Hispaniola Freight...

For a container of your own you'll need a contact at this end - the freight forwarder.
They help clear and deliver the final leg.
At least that's how I did it....Furniture and car.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Do any of these shippers ship from DR to Canada? How much per box per pound?

Bump......
I know that once expats arrive in the glorious DR they are here forever and would never consider moving elsewhere. But just for kicks lets say someone did and they simply wanted to send some boxes, or a blue barrel on a boat to Canada, do you think there are any shippers in the Country here that would do this at a reasonable cost?

TonyW

May 21, 2017
Embarque La Plaza Will not Honor Insurance Claim

Two pairs of Jordans, 5 UnderArmor Tees and one womans pajama set were stolen from two tanks to San Pedro. Attitude of the office was 'So What do you expect from us'?  According to them, there really is no way to expect your things to get there, and they process 'fake' theft claims everyday. Their practice is to simply ignore any attempts to file a legitimate claim. Heading to court. Lawyer is confident that we both will get paid. At this point its not about the money, its about respect. I have tipped the movers and communicated in english more than 25 times over ten years. Yet when something goes wrong, its suddenly spanish-only?! Well, my lawyer speaks spanish and english and has no problems using American courts.  

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Glad to hear that Josh.

The payment snag is what I don't like about Awilda... pay by cash or check in the US or the delivery by cash
However..... the service has always been good.

About $50US a box - bigger box - not too bad and your time was fast !!

Usually 2 weeks +/- in the summer , a bit longer in season and slower still in Nov/Dec (which I avoid)

Banged up boxes can happen - with 2 shippers in your case, almost sure to happen.

Once with Awilda a fridge arrive with a broken tube at the back - the driver pointed it out.
They took it back , fixed it , and delivered it the next day... incredible

Just to be clear, Awilda only took less than 2 weeks, as the first 2 weeks were taken by DHL.

Yes - I did not even expect the boxes to arrive in a perfect shape, as the journey was really long, luckily we had almost no fragile items, and even of those, all but one flower pot arrived in a perfect shape, thanks to the careful packaging my wife had done...

Good to know re the expected delivery times, will definitely use them again...

felizeng

Nov 4, 2016
people must be tired of me saying

Awilda Shipping
Corona/Queens NY & Santiago

NY 718-505-9833

about $35/box and $130 a tanque

average delivery is 3wks... faster in summer, slower before Xmas
I have always delivered mine, so haven't tried consolidating
They pick up in the NYC area

Hey William. Does Awilda ship to the Capital? If so, I am looking to send a box with a new microwave about 17.31" x 10.2" x 12.75" in size, curtains, towels, pillows and canned goods. Do you think I would incur an overcharge or tax being that the microwave is new or just the $35/box? If she does not ship to the Capital, can you recommend a good mudanza company here in NYC? Thanks in advance.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
All over the island..

Their charges include any gov't charges

Maybe a barrel... maybe 2-3 boxes... he'll tell you

Jesus is his name - use mine

Microwave is no problem - I send fridges, stoves, etc

Depending on where you are - he'll pickup in NYC

felizeng

Nov 4, 2016
All over the island..

Their charges include any gov't charges

Maybe a barrel... maybe 2-3 boxes... he'll tell you

Jesus is his name - use mine

Microwave is no problem - I send fridges, stoves, etc

Depending on where you are - he'll pickup in NYC

Ok cool. I just want to send a medium size box with the microwave, some curtains and the rest for cushioning/protection of the microwave. What size is their standard box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Montero is reputed to be reliable

I buy.. get free shipping and it matters not where the shipping point is... MIA. NYC