Mudanzas: Post Your Shipper

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I recently sent a packet of documents to the DR from the US with FedEx. Weight was under a pound, delivery was three days and cost was around $55 US.

Granted, it was quick delivery but I can tell you that packages the size you are considering will not be cheap to send.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
As far as I know, they ship by weight and dimensions. Choose international on their website, enter your dimensions, and you will be able to get a very close number. Likely well into the hundreds.
I sent a box a little bigger than a shoe box to a doorstep in the DR. The cost was close to $100.
I used to send a portion of my paycheques home through FedEx insured mail. That piece of paper sent to Canada would cost $25.
They exist but none of them are cheap to my knowledge.
My guess is that you’re better off reading through this thread and finding a mudanza in your area that can help you.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
A 55" TV and a computer desk sorry i don't know the depressions but it must weigh a little under 100 pounds, but i am guessing. I just don't see anyone talk about those carriers. Are they a viable option?

No.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
A 55" TV and a computer desk sorry i don't know the depressions but it must weigh a little under 100 pounds, but i am guessing. I just don't see anyone talk about those carriers. Are they a viable option?

You'll want a mudanza

If it's Awilda
TV will be charged by the inch....the desk, they will eyeball a cost

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You'll want a mudanza

If it's Awilda
TV will be charged by the inch....the desk, they will eyeball a cost

I think they all charge by the inch, it used to be $8 per, but hopefully that’s come down a bit. Last one we sent was a 40”, and they only charged us $200 because it was part of a shipment of 21 boxes and drums.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Usually I send small boxes (we’re talking 20”x 30” x 20”) vía Canada Post to a forwarder in Miami, then someone picks it up in the DR. By the time it’s all said and done, it’s around $100-$120. Nearly the cost of a barrel.

There is a guy trying to start shipping western Canada-Toronto-DR. Peralta is $150 per barrel, they are around $130. But I have to spend $150 to get the barrel from out west to Toronto, so it’s not worth it to go with either.

Are there any American mudanzas who will allow you to ship items you purchase online to them, fill your barrel, and ship? So a trustworthy mudanza who would be willing/have space to fill a barrel over the course of a few weeks and then send it. I mostly doubt it but I’ll throw it out and ask. This way I pay for my items, the barrel and not the $150 to Toronto plus another $150 to DR.

An extra suitcase is what we usually do, but Covid has thrown a wrench into that for me anyway.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I do that with Awilda..... send several purchases to them.

Once they have all arrived , they are shipped..... not necessarily a barrel, just 3-4-5 boxes
about $30-35 each

Reactions: Auryn

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I do that with Awilda..... send several purchases to them.

Once they have all arrived , they are shipped..... not necessarily a barrel, just 3-4-5 boxes
about $30-35 each
Thanks! Do they have a certain time frame for holding your items?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Ask them

If it's an Amazon purchase, I select the specific day delivery option....
All packages get grouped and delivered on the same day.... like a Friday
That makes it easier
or
tell Awilda I have 5 boxes coming this week.... pls ship them all together
They generally pack them together in a bigger box if possible

The girl there speaks pretty good English -- use my name

Reactions: Auryn

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Ask them

If it's an Amazon purchase, I select the specific day delivery option....
All packages get grouped and delivered on the same day.... like a Friday
That makes it easier
or
tell Awilda I have 5 boxes coming this week.... pls ship them all together
They generally pack them together in a bigger box if possible

The girl there speaks pretty good English -- use my name

This is a good thing to know about Awilda. We've used them now for close to 4 years and are not looking to change to any other mudanza... Always excellent service, this far without fail... We've even sent large boxes with DHL from Europe to Awilda with notes to call me to the DR number when they get to them... Worked 100 %...

What they did do once when we had 5 smallish boxes coming to them, was that without me asking to do that, they said that they'll wait for all of them to arrive and only then send to Santo Domingo... That is customer service for me...

We'll have to ship some slightly heavier items in the next couple of months, so looking forward to using them again...

Reactions: CDNBear

Chala

Aug 25, 2018
I recently sent a packet of documents to the DR from the US with FedEx. Weight was under a pound, delivery was three days and cost was around $55 US.

Granted, it was quick delivery but I can tell you that packages the size you are considering will not be cheap to send.
Your absolutely correct i just called Awilda Shipping and just for my 55"TV alone they want $200.00 I called another place called International Sea & Air Shipping they have an 80 cubic feet minimum she told me no less than $2500.00. Looks like i will be leaving my belongings behind on my journey to DR!

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
Your absolutely correct i just called Awilda Shipping and just for my 55"TV alone they want $200.00 I called another place called International Sea & Air Shipping they have an 80 cubic feet minimum she told me no less than $2500.00. Looks like i will be leaving my belongings behind on my journey to DR!
200 bucks is not that bad for a name brand, reliable, late model 55 inch TV shipped here door to door

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The charge is calculated by the inch..... a 32" TV is less than a 50".....
it includes all duty payments too.....

That $200 is the last you'll pay

Chala

Aug 25, 2018
It’s cheap! Price has come down, it was $8 an inch not long ago, would have been more like $450
not cheap for me, i have more than a TV

The charge is calculated by the inch..... a 32" TV is less than a 50".....
it includes all duty payments too.....

Good way to look at it, unless i move again

200 bucks is not that bad for a name brand, reliable, late model 55 inch TV shipped here door to door
I love my TV but its 8 years old, probably not worth the shipping. I also have a compute desk, computer printer, and stereo, and lastly my budget is just not that big right now, i just can't afford it. Imagine what the desk would cost. I am told i could have them come out (if i was ready) and they would take a look and tell me exactly how much it would be, but i wouldn't waste their time on my budget.

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014

:oops:...Hmm...:unsure:..a 55inch TV ..$495 on Amazon plus $200 shipping ...$695 ...beats the RD$ 56,634.10 for a 55 inch TV in Plaza Lama with a questionable history....must tell miesposa what I want for Christmas....:)

Nobody

18+++
Apr 10, 2020
:oops:...Hmm...:unsure:..a 55inch TV ..$495 on Amazon plus $200 shipping ...$695 ...beats the RD$ 56,634.10 for a 55 inch TV in Plaza Lama with a questionable history....must tell miesposa what I want for Christmas....:)
Side note.

Last year my husband bought a 50"-55" Hitachi TV with built in ROKU from Pricesmart.

Recently we temporarily had misplaced the remote and needed to use the "usual" buttons to access and control the TV. To our surprise and horror, we discovered that the TV has no such buttons, not even an on-off button.

No remote, no using the TV, lesson learned.

• Wow
Reactions: CDNBear

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
Pricesmart. An alternative to Amazon for such heavy household items?
Not to derail the thread but seen it recommended here. Yes or no suffice