Multi-vehicle crash on Sunday presses need for overhaul of traffic management in the Dominican Republic

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Accidente-multiple-La-Americas-ND-News-1024x632.png

On Wednesday, 3 August 2022, President Luis Abinader had appointed transit expert Hugo Beras to replace Rafael Arias at the head of the National Institute of Transport and Transit.

Then on Sunday, 6 August, two consecutive crashes on Las Americas Expressway evidenced once again the need for major improvements in drivers’ education and compliance with traffic rules in the Dominican Republic.

The accidents occurred when bystanders caused a bottleneck on the expressway, and a freight container truck driver on the other side sped by and in what appeared to be a momentary distraction, collided into another vehicle causing a multi-vehicle crash.

Follow the story:Hoy...

[url=https://dr1.com/news/2022/08/08/multi-vehicle-crash-on-sunday-presses-need-for-overhaul-of-traffic-management-in-the-dominican-republic/]Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
That truck (and/or the trailer) clearly had faulty brakes. Even pushing vehicles it pretty much rolls to a stop instead of abruptly.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
That truck (and/or the trailer) clearly had faulty brakes. Even pushing vehicles it pretty much rolls to a stop instead of abruptly.

Or he was really, really fed up with the congested traffic. ,🤔🤔

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Obviously going too fast for traffic conditions and I can almost bet the truck driver did not have a current license.
Likely texting his paramour on his cell as well.

They will never clean up accidents here without heavy vehicle inspections and I feel they should arrest every truck, bus or taxi driver without a current license or one more than 3 months expired

Reactions: irishpaddy

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Kinetic energy

Train engines take kilometers to slow down and stop
Apples to oranges.

I hear ya, but it still took way too long to stop, and when it did, it rolled right up to the end. No wheels locked up anywhere.

(I used to have 5 tractors at my business)

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Dominicans are the worst I have known for rubber-necking at accidents. I actually saw a woman stop her car on the Autopista Duarte, get out with her children and take them to see an accident.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Dominicans are the worst I have known for rubber-necking at accidents. I actually saw a woman stop her car on the Autopista Duarte, get out with her children and take them to see an accident.
So true. And many thing filming and posting gore will make them famous

Reactions: DR fan1990

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
A car had also gone into the sea on the east bound lane very close to the accident shown above.

It happened about a half an hour ahead of us and traffic was moving at an absolute crawl for several kilometers. It set us back significantly.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
A car had also gone into the sea on the east bound lane very close to the accident shown above.

It happened about a half an hour ahead of us and traffic was moving at an absolute crawl for several kilometers. It set us back significantly.

I’d say the accident with the semi truck was not much more than a kilometer or two west (back toward SD)of the car that went into the ocean.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas