Murder / Arson / Robbery...........

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
may I ask who heard the thief? the watchman or someone else?

............one of the watchmen................yelled to the other two that were in the front and they all went running..........they were speaking french so i really didn't know what they were saying other that i knew something was wrong cause they were yelling.........

Feb 15, 2005
ok.
POP my recommendation is to disallow all cell phone usage by your guards and provide them one to use in case of emergency. If they are caught speaking on a personal cell phone it is grounds for immediate dismissal. I've worked for security firms that absolutely disallowed guards to even carry a cell phone on them during working hours.

I'm not saying that they are culpable but please!!! 3 guards and not one of them made this perp fearful enough to abandon the idea of breaking into your privacy. I would be incensed at the thought that someone was there while they were on duty..Not just one but 3 of them.

May 5, 2007
In constructing a house near La Vega, I have employed the use of high tensile steel in the "bars" (Be that as they may, not traditional but they serve a secondary security function) instead of the high iron/low steel bars available everywhere that are easily bent and twisted. in truth, the "iron bars" used in most construction are of such low steel content (At least what I was continually shown) they may as well be rubber for security purposes) These "soft" iron bars can be improved upon by having cross supports welded every foot or so to improve rigidity with one another

BTW, I had to wait almost 8 months to have the steel I wanted delivered at an insane cost, but (Can't recall the Rockwell hardness but same grade as used in grade 8 bolts) but the stuff won't bend with a car jack and the "anchors" won't be pulled out with less than 20,000# force directly opposing the building, no fulcrum point to bend, twist with tools

Really sorry to hear of your incident, I think these guys arriving with the trained guard dogs are onto a lucrative market, I am definitely looking at one (Some day :-( )

peteclaffey

Apr 30, 2006
I doubt if robbery was the motivation for the terrible beach crime , steal a few beers , murder then arson ?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Home Away From Home

and the "anchors" won't be pulled out with less than 20,000#

That, of course, would very much depend on the type of anchor system used.
Best is to have those bars go all the way through the wall and be T-linked.

On the other hand burglar proofing is not the ultimate house invasion deterrent and to me it sometimes looks as if the people inside are used to be behind bars and can't do with that feeling to be home away from home... :cheeky:

Get dogs and a shotgun.

May 5, 2007
Don

It is best to use the entire quote in context, then you won't have to try and qualify the original post with your own thoughts?

These particular "bars" are directly incorporated into the structural supports of the wall (Concrete, reinforced steel and stucco), pretty good anchor system I would think

If you refer to my entire post you would also note the "security" aspect of the bars are secondary, a passive part of a completely unobtrusive home "defense" plan

"BTW, I had to wait almost 8 months to have the steel I wanted delivered at an insane cost, but (Can't recall the Rockwell hardness but same grade as used in grade 8 bolts) but the stuff won't bend with a car jack and the "anchors" won't be pulled out with less than 20,000# force directly opposing the building, no fulcrum point to bend, twist with tools"

That, of course, would very much depend on the type of anchor system used.
Best is to have those bars go all the way through the wall and be T-linked.

On the other hand burglar proofing is not the ultimate house invasion deterrent and to me it sometimes looks as if the people inside are used to be behind bars and can't do with that feeling to be home away from home... :cheeky:

Get dogs and a shotgun.