Murder in Terramar???

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
The following quotation is from "Gerd" in another thread. Can anyone confirm or deny this item. Any details? Thanks.

"Alfred Reh, a german resident in Terramar, Sosua, died on Friday 26th, November 2004, due to the gunshot wounds he suffered during the brutal attack of 4 armed men on Sunday, November 21st at 10A.M. in his villa.

This was nowhere in the news, and I just heard about it because I knew the gentleman personally.
Terramar and other real estate businessess have no interest in such publicity.

His villa is for sale at a good price now."

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
Gregg said:
Can anyone confirm or deny this item. Any details? Thanks.

I just spoke with the widow. The story is true but one important item. When Albert saw the four men running up to the house , he went to get his pistol and fired a few warning shots. When he wanted to recharge, he was so nervous, that he shot himself.

I?m sorry to have posted incorrect information, that I was given from someone else first.

The house is for sale and John Bommarito will probably buy it.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Well like all things Dominican we have no idea what actually happened. Same thing with the houses bulldozed etc.

I hope we are not going to hear an endless amount of speculation on how bad things are here now.

How much is the house?

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Safe or unsafe?

Regardless of the details, it's a fact that people have guns in their houses because they believe crime is rampant. I'm scared of guns and won't have one in my house. People who have never been to New York think that it is not a safe place to live, yet I live in uptown Manhattan and feel completely safe. So, anecdotal evidence aside, how dangerous is Sosua, or Puerto Plata, etc? Ken, HB, Grahame, Lambada - the long time residents - how safe do you feel? - D

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
www.ecoislandadventures.com
Danny W said:
Regardless of the details, it's a fact that people have guns in their houses because they believe crime is rampant. I'm scared of guns and won't have one in my house. People who have never been to New York think that it is not a safe place to live, yet I live in uptown Manhattan and feel completely safe. So, anecdotal evidence aside, how dangerous is Sosua, or Puerto Plata, etc? Ken, HB, Grahame, Lambada - the long time residents - how safe do you feel? - D

Wasn't he trying to defend himself against 4 people with weopons?

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
Terramar is secure?

OK thanks for the clarifications. it is very sad to hear of someone losing his life over his possessions. he must have really felt threatened.

but do we have the story right? there were 4 armed robbers invading a home in Terramar on a Sunday at 10:00 am? in broad daylight?

i thought there was security at Terramar. saw a few guards there myself. did the guards respond? how did the robbers enter (maybe through the wide-open fields aroud Terramar)?

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Gregg said:
OK thanks for the clarifications. it is very sad to hear of someone losing his life over his possessions. he must have really felt threatened.

but do we have the story right? there were 4 armed robbers invading a home in Terramar on a Sunday at 10:00 am? in broad daylight?

i thought there was security at Terramar. saw a few guards there myself. did the guards respond? how did the robbers enter (maybe through the wide-open fields aroud Terramar)?

Yep, I too smell something fishy here Gregg.

Unsolved Mystery and Cold Case Files are my favorite shows on TV and after watching so many of them ....I would closely investigate any family members starting with his wife, especially if she is much younger than him.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Danny W said:
The story is crap and not true. I knew it would get stupid without any fact whatsoever.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Danny W said:

We are geting WAY off topic here but I feel this might be of interest to people thinking of coming on holiday &/or to live on the North Coast, so (with Robert's & the Original Poster's permission) I shall respond to DannyW.

Like you Danny, I do not like guns - but where needs MUST, I will use one!! The North Coast is perhaps safer than Santiago, Santo Domingo & some of the "Overspill" towns further south BUT, crime IS on the increase. Whether it is due to hunger, organised crime, political activist involvement or just the increase of hardened criminals being deported from the US of A, I would not like to say, .... but is IS getting more talked about & many more people have experiences of crimes & they are now prepared to talk more openly about these. Just tonight there was a residents meeting in our area where sealing off of some of the present road entrances was discussed & arrangements for security perosonnel to secure the area was agreed. With just 24 hours notice, about 250/300 residents from this area (aproximating 400 houses so OVER 50%) turned out to discuss what should be done to protect the area. Many stood up & gave examples of robberies they had experienced over the last few months - the most recent one being a kidnap attempt of the young child of one of the Brugal family. Fortunately the quick thinking of the muchacha, a child from another house alerting the house guard & several house owners, one kidnapper was restrained whilst the one in the car made off quickly! I don't give much for his chances of avoiding the quick justice of the Brugal family anytime soon!!!

I have heard from friends that they have experienced or heard of minor robberies taking place at the rate of nearly one per week. THAT is too high & way above what it used to be!! I feel relatively safe where I am because the local policw use our quiet cul de sac to rest, play dominos & sleep in whilst on duty at night! Their presence is a deterent Thank God - whilst they are around US, the robbers go somewhere else to do their work!! ~ Grahame.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Amazing!

Escott said:
This thread is all BS. I had dinner with the neighbor tonight and the guy shot himself cleaning his gun while his wife was in the shower.

Escott

Thanks Scott for clearing this story up (we hope)!

Tomorrow I will talk to a personal friend of mine, General Venezuela. I will get to the bottom of this garbage. It is amazing how people that don't have a life to live start up these insane rumors. PLEASE...if it isn't true then don't spread it!

Sure there are criminals everywhere...everywhere people! Dominicans are no different then anyone else in the world. One thing is very important and that is for everyone to NOT start panicing!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Danny W said:

Personally, I feel OK Danny, but then I do take a number of precautions. My neighbours (all business owners & connected people, 99% Dominican) clearly don't feel ok! I was trying to distinguish at the Junto de Vecinos meeting whether this was mild hysteria setting in, or one person needing to outdo the other with their 'experiences'. They were motivated enough to attend, put money upfront for increased security presence etc. The committee wanted to discuss a security barrier plan to be put in place in January. The meeting said we need to do something NOW before Xmas. So that was agreed, paid for & will now happen. Even our Mayor, who is a neighbour & friend, was all for action now.........clearly the pickings would be good in our area, & clearly people are anticipating more attempted robberies before Xmas. I was surprised at the amount of fear & these are all educated people. Guess that those of us coming from crime ridden countries like UK & USA are more used to it.
Sorry if this is off Terramar topic but felt I should respond as I'd been named.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
I'm a great believer in having these incidents reported, despite the negative impact, but it would be nice to get the TRUE facts!
I think that we all agree that there is a high risk of robbery around the North Coast towns - I can confirm at least 3 events between Cabarete and Sabaneta in the last week - and with Xmas just around the corner and the general lack of money amongst the local population it ain't going to get any better.
Protect yourselves however you feel best but guns, dogs and guards are not going to stop them if they really want to get in!
The Terramar incident? Gerd spoke to the widow and the original story was TRUE! Escott spoke to the neighbour and the other version is TRUE!
The North Coast whisper factory still flourishes!!!!!!

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
Escott said:
This thread is all BS. I had dinner with the neighbor tonight and the guy shot himself cleaning his gun while his wife was in the shower.

Escott

It?s good to know your friend was always aware of what is going on in the neighbours house.
I was not there when it happened, but reported what the widow told me.

It?s sad though, that none of the neighbours showed up for help, while the guy was bleeding on the floor and she was screaming and yelling for help. The first friend to arrive was a friend of theirs who came from Costa Azul, Cabarete. This too, is only what she told me. Might be BS too. I was not there when it happened.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Eerie Dinner

Escott said:
... I had dinner with the neighbor tonight and the guy shot himself cleaning his gun while his wife was in the shower.

Oh, dear.
That made you a lonely diner, didn't it?

One should never clean a gun while eating.
And why did the wife not join you for the dinner?
Did she prepare the meal?
Did you eat the same things and the same amount of those as that guy?

A truly mysterious case.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Psssttt.....

Whisper, whisper, whisper - and another tale emerges today!
He had an accident with the gun whilst cleaning it and was transported to a hospital in Sosua Abajo where they patched him up and sent him home to recuperate?
Alive or dead? Whisper, whisper, whisper!

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Peter & Alex said:
Whisper, whisper, whisper - and another tale emerges today!
He had an accident with the gun whilst cleaning it and was transported to a hospital in Sosua Abajo where they patched him up and sent him home to recuperate?
Alive or dead? Whisper, whisper, whisper!

Are you saying that "reports of his death were greatly exaggerated"? - D